Desperately need advice!

I am 19 years old, will be 20 in a few months. I have always been very athletic and active. In high school I played 4 varsity sports: my number one was soccer, two basketball, three tennis and four golf. I have had three major surgeries all in the last 3 and a half years. The first two left me out of exercising for 9 months and out of playing games for my sports for 13 months. The last one I got was shoulder surgery in February and have really been struggling since then. I have no way of doing Physical therapy with no car trying to make it to classes, sorority events (such as chapter), volunteering, study hours, etc... on top of my therapy being an hour and a half and is 2 and a half miles away from my home. I have not done any therapy since early July and I do not have nearly close to the range of movements I should with my arm. It still hurts especially when I run for extended periods or holding it in a position for a long time and my shoulder is extremely weak and starts to hurt when holding something or when my backpack is on.

Anyway, ever since my surgeries I have put on about 15-20 pounds and completely lost my very toned stomach and my legs, arms, etc. are nothing like they used to be.

Any advice on how a broke college student can get motivation to start hitting the gym every day again, get back into shape, eat healthy on a basically a $0 budget (my sorority house has a salad bar, snacks in the kitchen, and our meals are mostly unhealthy. The Dining halls are not healthy at all either.), and how I can keep up with losing the excess weight I've gained?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Eat what you are already eating, just less!
  • Catherine93herts
    Catherine93herts Posts: 1 Member
    I'm a student and I find it difficult to eat healthy whilst on a budget but it is possible! The main way I save money is by reducing the amount of meat I buy. I used to be vegetarian so I find it easy to make vegetarian meals but look some up.. They can be really tasty! I use 1/2 a chicken breast instead of a full 1 and just eat more vegetables as they have hardly any calories anyway. My main advice is to get a gym buddy and someone else who also wants to eat healthily! If you used to play lots of sports I assume you are competitive so share your aims with a friend and you will want to prove to them that you can do it.. good luck!!!