Is 4,184 kJ a day too low? I want to loose weight faster.

Options
I want to drop my kJ intake to 4,184 (1000 calories) to drop weight faster.

I have started weighing everything, including everything that goes into my daily salad and each piece of fruit and track the whole day the night before so I know if I have to tweak anything to stay under my goal.

I also drink about 2 litres of water a day and walk for an hour and a half every day.

I currently weigh 109 kg and 162 cm tall. I want to be down to around 70 kg by Christmas (or as close to it as I can get).

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You didn't put it on fast, so why take it off fast? 1200 calories is the recommended minimum intake for women to ensure you're getting enough nutrients, and at your size you will probably do better eating more. Set your goal to .75-1kg per week and eat that number plus half of your exercise burns.
  • rebeccag0604
    Options
    Eh... yeah. That is kind of an unsafe low. You really shouldn't go below 1000 cals per day because your body will start to go into starvation mode. That will slow down your metabolism (and therefore your weightloss.) Your body will also start to look for other energy sources... and unfortunately it will go after your muscles... which is not what you want!
    It's hard... I know.. I lost about 70 pounds (32 kg.) It took me about 2 years to lose that weight.
    If you're gonna go below 1000 cals per day, don't do it long term or you may find that you are feeling sick.
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I lost 60lbs in like 7 months by eating correctly, lifting and doing cardio towards the end. So you don't need to starve yourself to get to your goals. You just need to workout, eat correctly, count your calories and you'll be fine.
  • sydneydeb
    sydneydeb Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    4,184 kJ IS 1000 calories, I've already worked it out on a converter. I just don't see the point of eating just because MFP tells me too. If I'm not hungry why bother? That is what got me looking like a beached whale in the first place. I need to train myself to eat less than what I do.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Fast is miserable.

Miserable!

And high-failure rate, too.

Why does everyone always want to go fast?

It took years/decades to put on, right? It's not going to come off overnight. Take your time and make it as comfortable as possible. You'll have much greater chance at success, and you'll feel better, too.
  • sydneydeb
    sydneydeb Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Dieting is miserable don't see what it matters if it's fast or slow
  • candacefausset
    candacefausset Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    sydneydeb wrote: »

I haven't been miserable yet. I feel fantastic. It's all about mindset. And the mindset that you have to lose it all fast is dangerous. Not only are you likely to lose lean muscle mass by eating so little, but you are more likely to gain it all back plus some when you move to maintenance because your body will be so used to so little incoming, it will try to store everything it can. Eating so little can lead to feeling lethargic, weak, sick and so much more. It isn't just MFP that is telling you to eat 1200 calories a day minimum. It will also be every nutritionist, doctor and person who has actually succeeded at weight loss and maintained it, that will tell you that. If I were you, I'd listen to them.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Do you want to eat as little as possible for the long term? Would like like a higher rate of success once you reach your goal or do you want to yo-yo diet continuously? What happens if you stall on 1000 calories? Do you go down to 900? 800? Read up on metabolic adaptation before you continue with your plan.
  • JessRaddatz
    JessRaddatz Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    It seems like you don't really care if 1000 calories is too low (which it is), so why are you asking if you're just going to go ahead with it anyway? You should be eating at least 1200 calories a day to lose weight the healthy way.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Not a good idea. Why do you need to lose it by Christmas? I'm sure you didn't gain it over night so can't expect to lose it quickly. You should eat at a responsible deficit.
  • candacefausset
    candacefausset Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    It seems like you don't really care if 1000 calories is too low (which it is), so why are you asking if you're just going to go ahead with it anyway? You should be eating at least 1200 calories a day to lose weight the healthy way.
    That was my second thought. You asked if it was too low. Everyone has thus far answered that it is. But you don't seem to like the answer and are using everything you can to rebuttal it. I promise, people here aren't just answering to sabotage you.

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Then why don't you just get it over with.

Stop eating and really lose some weight fast.

What reasons can you think of for that maybe being a bad idea, lets see how many you are aware of.
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's too low. It's unhealthy and you won't be able to maintain it.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    4,184 kJ IS 1000 calories, I've already worked it out on a converter. I just don't see the point of eating just because MFP tells me too. If I'm not hungry why bother? That is what got me looking like a beached whale in the first place. I need to train myself to eat less than what I do.

Because you still need to fuel your body to keep it functioning. If you eat too low for too long, you'll start losing muscle mass, you'll be too tired to do anything, your hair will start falling out, along with other possibly more severe problems. I'm losing on 1700-2000 a day. Even the few days I did 1200-1300 I felt crabby and hungry.
  • vilepixie
    vilepixie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If you view it as "dieting" and want it off fast, you will set yourself up for failure. It's not just about getting the weight off, you want to be sure that you can keep it off in a healthy way.You don't even have to do that much, just change habits, be more aware of what you are putting into your body, eat smaller portions, and be more active. It doesn't have to be miserable! 1000 calories is way too low, you will wreck your metabolism and just feel lethargic and crappy. It's really not worth it, unless your goal is to yo yo diet.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options

Stop and listen to what we're telling you: You are MAKING IT MISERABLE when you don't have to.

It's Easy Peasy when you do it the right way. If it's miserable, you are definitely, undeniably, without a doubt, doin ' it wrong.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    can't be a serious thread….
  • Pootler74
    Pootler74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Tch. It really doesn't have to be miserable.

I started this time round at about 100 kilos. I'm losing a kilo a week by eating 400 calories under what MFP days is my maintenance, and eating back half of my exercise calories. That means that some days I get 1600 calories, and some days I get up to 2000.

I'm eating wonderful food, lots of it healthy, some of it not. And because I get enough to eat, with plenty of treats, and use some hacks to make fun food low calorie, I'm actually ENJOYING it.

Read the forum stickies, read some more posts with similar subjects to yours, listen to people on here. MFP is the best diet method there is, and that's because done right, it's successful, sustainable and pain free.