protein

Options
Can anyone suggest some low calorie ways to get more protein in my diet? I never have a hard time eating enough calories, but I never come anywhere near my protein goals, either. I'm not a strict vegetarian, but I tend to avoid meat. I've also tried protein powders and shakes, but I get sick of them quickly and I prefer to eat whole foods.

I've been doing a strength training program, and I've found that the program is getting harder way faster than I'm getting stronger. I'm starting to suspect that my lack of protein may be the cause of that.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Replies

• Gabby215
    Gabby215 Posts: 69
    Options
    I'd suggest eggs and/or egg whites and nuts (I love pistachios). If you like tofu that's a good way too!
  • GypsyWagon
    GypsyWagon Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian, but not vegan. I like tofu, beans, low fat cottage cheese, greek yogurt, plain lowfat kefir, low fat cheese (feta and goat especially) and eggs as protein sources. HTH!
  • jmcjamie
    jmcjamie Posts: 82
    Options
    almonds
  • Delorice
    Delorice Posts: 16
    Options
    If you like cottage cheese it has alot of protein and not many calories. Also I snack on beef jerky, it has over 20 grams of protein and only like 120 calories a serving! Good luck,
  • neonpink
    neonpink Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Hi ive just discovered Quinoa its a high protein grain with high iron and fibre content. 50 grams is about 160 cals but thats a fairly big portion.

katy
  • kadie331
    kadie331 Posts: 2
    Options
    I have been drinking a low carb protein shake. I drink only half a serving 2x a day so it totals 200 -220 calories I think. Here is the link.
    http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2134405

I bought mine at our gym but its a small bag and it was $20. I really like it and I always get plenty of protein.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    i try to cook meals with lots of protein in them and then eat those as left overs during the weekend. the mushroom casserole on 101cookbooks.com is my fav (sub greek yogurt for sour cream) as are the banana nut muffins I found from another member on here. The recipe for those is on my most recent blog post (with a picture too). Oatmeal has a good amount of protine as does cottage cheese and peanut butter.

Good luck and feel free to check out my diary for ideas...im a vegetarian. Lately, ive been slacking on the protein but usually i try to incorporate 15 grams in each meal.
  • talysshade
    talysshade Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Today i ate meat which in dutch is called "magere runderlap" basically it's very lean beef that you simmer for about 2 to 2.5 hours.. it had 30 grams of protein, but less than 200 calories for a 5 ounce portion! And barely any fat, too.
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Can anyone suggest some low calorie ways to get more protein in my diet? I never have a hard time eating enough calories, but I never come anywhere near my protein goals, either. I'm not a strict vegetarian, but I tend to avoid meat. I've also tried protein powders and shakes, but I get sick of them quickly and I prefer to eat whole foods.

Raw protein is 4 cals per gram. Two "low cal" ways to get this are greek yogurt and protein powder.

You could add black beans or pinto beans as well, but those are high-carb ways to get protein.

I've been doing a strength training program, and I've found that the program is getting harder way faster than I'm getting stronger. I'm starting to suspect that my lack of protein may be the cause of that.

This is because you aren't getting stronger just because you're eating protein. If you want to build muscle, you need to eat above your body's caloric needs at maintenance, preferably at a high protein to carb\fat ratio (like 50/25/25).
  • yalisa0424
    yalisa0424 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    After I workout I take a protein from GNC that helps a ton with muscle recovery, has almost no sugar, and tastes like yummy chocolate milk. It is called GNC AMP Wheybolic Extreme 60. I get the chocolate flavor. I mix a scoop with 3/4 c soy milk or almond milk. One scoop is 93 calories, 1 g sugar, 20 g protein. The serving size calls for 3 scoops but that is way too many calories for me!
    You can always talk to the employees at GNC (they seem to be pretty knowledgeable) about a meal replacement loaded with protein. The only thing is it may not tast great.
    I always seem to go over my protein by like 100g.
    For breakfats I do a lot of eggs and otameal, I also do south beach diet protein bars, shakeology, chicken, and fish. Good luck!