My heart rate monitor is very confusing

Options
During my workout yesterday my HRM said that I burned 527 calories and was in the zone for 12 minutes out of 45 minutes. Today, it said that I burned 436 calories and was in the zone for 35 minutes out of 45 minutes. Since I burned more calories yesterday wouldn't I be in the zone for longer yesterday? And does in the zone mean fat burning zone? Thank you in advance for your answers.

Replies

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    "Fat-burning zone" is widely misunderstood to the point where it's basically turned into a myth. It's fine to ignore that.

Basically your HRM is telling you that you worked out at a higher intensity yesterday than you did today.
  • cookieinbk82
    cookieinbk82 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    "Fat-burning zone" is widely misunderstood to the point where it's basically turned into a myth. It's fine to ignore that.

Basically your HRM is telling you that you worked out at a higher intensity yesterday than you did today.

I don't understand why it said I was in the zone longer today but burnt fewer calories than yesterday.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why it said I was in the zone longer today but burnt fewer calories than yesterday.

Most HRMs will tell you that the "fat burning zone" is where you work out at moderate intensity, or a lower heart rate than the "cardio zone" (high intensity). So being in the fat burning zone means you burned fewer calories because your heart rate was lower.

The thing is, it's a misnomer. You'll burn more calories at higher intensity, period.

Here, try reading this: active.com/triathlon/articles/the-myth-of-the-fat-burning-zone
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Here at MFP these HRM's have some sort of special powers. But sorry .. they don't really possess anything special. They measure your heart rate, nothing more. The rest is just pure **** (a math calculation at best). I would strongly suggest before you get mixed up in the numbers just remember that they are not very precise at doing anything but measuring your heart rate. You can use them to determine your % of maximum heart rate and thus your exertion level. But re your calories .. I would use about 50% of the number given as a closer number to the actual calories burned.