Hormonal imbalance? help me.

Options
I have a question to those who have had hormonal imbalance. Did weightloss put it all back to normal or the hormonal imbalance is a "curse" for whole life?

Replies

• paybakk32
    Options
    Good question. I think weight has something to do with it and yet I also think other life events play a roll as well. If you are not feeling better after dropping ten pounds, talk to your doctor.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    What, specifically, do you mean by imbalance?
  • Ooci
    Ooci Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I read quite a bit about how excess oestrogen becomes a bit of a vicious circle as its production is increased the fatter you are. Fat, apparently, makes hormones. I believe excessive oestrogen leads to mood swings which can make many women reach for the sugar and fat - myself included. So you get fat, you get mood swings, you crave high calorie food to make you feel better. You get fatter. My own story backs this up - as I grew fatter my endometriosis worsened - and it is thought that endometriosis is driven by excess oestrogen - though all my reading leads me to conclude that this field is very much work in progress and no doctor could ever help me get to the bottom of it.

It got to the point where I was pretty much bed ridden with a 10 cm endometrioma (blood filled cyst that responds to your cycle) sitting on my left ovary. This was exceptionally painful and it was removed one week before my 40th birthday at which point I decided to commit to health, weight loss, and limitation of my disease. I read that many women with severe endo as I have decide to eliminate foods that are thought to produce oestrogen, which results in them being pretty much vegan. I decided this was too extreme and so I chose a healthy balanced diet with a lot more fruit and veg and a 1lb loss per week.

14 months on (and 40 lb gone) I feel the oestrogen soaring especially Day 18 - Day 28. But it is nothing like it was. My breast aren't sore, my hives have disappeared, my pain levels are OK, the pre menstrual headaches have gone. The cravings aren't too bad. Best of all, the new endometrioma that grew right back after the old one was removed has now shrunk to a level I don't feel it and I will not need another laparotomy thank god.

I cannot recommend weight loss and healthy eating highly enough for women with these issues.
  • princessmadibry
    Options
    It really depends on the individual. Obesity can really skew your body's natural hormonal cycle, but otherwise, elevated testosterone keeps you thinner but gives you other unwanted additions, such as excess hair. the abundance of progestin and estrogen will ensure weight gain, just as how many people with elevated testosterone levels gain weight once they are put on hormones (like birth control).
  • Foodorlife
    Foodorlife Posts: 111 Member
    Options

Excessive hair growth, on chest, face, etc.

• I have dealt with hormonal problems my entire life and at twenty-three I am already on synthesized hormones daily. It does make it much harder for me to lose weight and I gain weight stupidly fast and with very little calorie increase. Some hormones affect how your body converts and uses fat and energy so it is something you really should speak to your doctor about. For some it gets better the less body fat they have, and for others it is something we must learn to live our lives with.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Foodorlife wrote: »

You would probably be talking about PCOS. I had PCOS when I was 300lbs, and I have it now 160 lbs lighter. It didn't go away (like my doctor was hoping it would LOL).

• Foodorlife
    Foodorlife Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Raynne413 wrote: »

You would probably be talking about PCOS. I had PCOS when I was 300lbs, and I have it now 160 lbs lighter. It didn't go away (like my doctor was hoping it would LOL).

But PCOS is mostly hereditary, isn't it? All women in my family are healthy and never had issues.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Raynne413 wrote: »

But PCOS is mostly hereditary, isn't it? All women in my family are healthy and never had issues.

I've never heard of it being mostly hereditary. I'm the only woman in my family that we know of that has the issue.