painful/itchy stretch marks?

Options
i gained a lot of weight in a short amount of time and developed some stretch marks on my upper arms. i have a lot in other places too, but this is the first time on my arms and now they are itchy and very pink. anyone have any tips to help reduce the pain/itchiness?

Replies

• pandorahp
    pandorahp Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Lots of lotion or cocoa butter and water :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    are you sure you haven't got a skin infection? go and get it checked out

itchy and pain for stretch marks? Never heard of that before
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Dermatologist?
  • Donners185
    Donners185 Posts: 329 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Yeah, the new ones can be painful sometimes. Stretch marks appear when the middle layer of skin (the dermis) is strectched continously or numerous times. The collagen fibres break down and the dermis tears. The tears show through to the upper layer. The skin is irritated and raw as it is freshly torn. Try not to scratch too much or you'll start bleeding. The skin is already sensitive and thin. Plenty of oil/cocoa butter, etc and drink plenty of water. The small ones I have on the upper inside of my arm were very irritated and sore for ages. The less you scratch the sooner they will fade. Give it time.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Try putting olive oil on them, it should help diminish their appearance and keep the from being really noticeable when you lose the weight. For the itching try a topical with benzocaine like solacaine for sun burns. It's a mild topical anesthetic that will numb the area and stop the itch.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Lotion, a cool compress, and do your best not to scratch.

My stretch marks were never painful, but they will itch like hell which seems to be fixed with lotion.