Hypothyroid, looking for core group for discussion/motivation

Options
Hi Y'all,

I was hit with Hashimotos at age 17, have been back and forth on synthroid (yay!) and Levo generics (boo) . I've struggled with losing some weight and would love to chat up anyone with hints, diet advice, tips, tricks or just motivation. Look forward to it! #fitforlife

Replies

• dilts36
    dilts36 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I really don't know much on thyroid gland disorders but all i know is eating right and exercising works wonders. You can exercise 4 hours, don't change your diet and you wont lose any weight. You can not exercise and change your diet and lose weight. Diet is everything! And remember it takes 3500 calories to burn a pound of fat so you need to eat 1500 calories a day to lose 1lb a week! Good luck!!
  • elizzabethmarie
    elizzabethmarie Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've had hypothyroidism since I was nine or ten and diabetes since 4! I started packing on the pounds in high school and I've tried on and off in the past to lose it, but every time I've failed because after a couple months and no change, I just don't care to work so hard. I've been at it again almost a month and nothing's changed again. Maybe we can help keep each other motivated??
  • Sylli123
    Options
    hi y'all. I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism as well... It's really a struggle. When I'd tried my hardest, I'd lost 30lbs in a matter if 2 months... but then i let myself go again. I'm back at it again. But I find that writing a journal or a blog helps me stay on track. Noting what I did right, what I did wrong, how I felt, and what I can do to improve my diet and workout plan. That coupled with my food diary has been helping me a lot this time around... also, for years (according to my new physician and nutritionist), I starved my body by not consuming enough calories which made me retain everything instead if burning calories. I ended up with the same meals on a daily basis and that's helped me so far. Back in November, the first time I started this before I found an excuse to give up, i lost 4lbs in a week. and happened by almost perfecting a meal plan and using the same things daily. Add me if you'd like :smile: we can work on this together
  • makendsley
    Options
    Hi! I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism for 2 years and I've packed on the pounds. Im starting to realize that I need to be fit because the doctor said my knee problems are coming from all the weight. It's hard to stay motivated and I'm glad I read this post because it makes me feel not so alone! I'm just so tired though to work out and stay motivated. I wish there was a way to shed off weight because I'm running a 5k in April and I want to loose 15 pounds by then. If you guys want you can add me and hopefully we can do this together. And if anyone has hints let me know! :)
  • TheNicholeLeigh
    Options
    Hypo folks can lose weight, we just have to work harder than everyone else :sweat_smile: keep me posted on your progress!
  • Cking1162
    Cking1162 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone-Another hypo friend here. I am 41 and was diagnosed with Hashimoto's about 3 years ago. Always lost my baby weight pretty quickly, except after my last one. It is a lot harder to shed the pounds but I know it isn't impossible. Just started on MFP this week and hoping to feel a little bit better about myself by bathing suit time :)
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    MFP has a Hypothyroidism & Hyperthyroidism group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease). Thyroid meds (for me, Synthroid & Cytomel) reduce the fatigue so I can be more active. But I lost weight just like everybody else—by eating fewer calories than I burn. Logging works.
  • bethanyjenn
    bethanyjenn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello, i have underactive thyroid and have found it so hard to lose weight! i tried next to everything! until my friend suggested to me to try a no carb diet.
    at first i was like 'never going to happen!' i enjoy my bread way to much! but with the support from my boyfriend and motivation (which was very hard to find) i cut out carbs completely and lost 5lbs and am still going!
    i started to jog in the evenings and ate nothing but fruit, veg, meat and eggs. i have to admit that meals were very boring! but as soon as i started to see the pounds drop off i was so determind to carry on! i would turn down everything 'naughty' because i was so proud of how far i had come!
    push yourselves and say 'no' to those things tou know you shouldn't have! have self control!

all the best Beth x