how do i log this type of excercise

Options
I do a full day self defense class through work how do i log that on here? Any ideas?

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    So a lot of standing watching moves being done, and then a few intense moments trying to duplicate?

Or you and partner are standing there constantly repeating actions you just saw, for a long time?

That is a tough one, either way.

You might see if anything in here looks similar. But then you gotta estimate the actual time of that level of activity, I'm betting it wasn't 8 hrs straight.
    https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxjb21wZW5kaXVtb2ZwaHlzaWNhbGFjdGl2aXRpZXN8Z3g6MjgyY2EyMzQzNWFlN2Q3OA

Get your Mifflin BMR from MFP - Apps tab - BMR tool.
    - BMR / 1440 = resting calorie burn per minute.

Take the METS value you find next to correct exercise x resting calorie burn x minutes = amount to log.

Actually, if not using like a Fitbit activity tracker, take the METS value minus 1 to remove the already assumed calorie burn. Then do the math.
    That's what you would eat back because of your increased activity that day, to still maintain the deficit you want for weight loss.
  • Kim2ka2
    Kim2ka2 Posts: 13
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    So a lot of standing watching moves being done, and then a few intense moments trying to duplicate?

Or you and partner are standing there constantly repeating actions you just saw, for a long time?

That is a tough one, either way.

You might see if anything in here looks similar. But then you gotta estimate the actual time of that level of activity, I'm betting it wasn't 8 hrs straight.
    https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxjb21wZW5kaXVtb2ZwaHlzaWNhbGFjdGl2aXRpZXN8Z3g6MjgyY2EyMzQzNWFlN2Q3OA

Get your Mifflin BMR from MFP - Apps tab - BMR tool.
    - BMR / 1440 = resting calorie burn per minute.

Take the METS value you find next to correct exercise x resting calorie burn x minutes = amount to log.

Actually, if not using like a Fitbit activity tracker, take the METS value minus 1 to remove the already assumed calorie burn. Then do the math.
    That's what you would eat back because of your increased activity that day, to still maintain the deficit you want for weight loss.

• Kim2ka2
    Options
    Pretty much watching and then repeating lol we do a 10 min warm up and then it can be anything from pad work (ie fend offs and kicking) then its mainly alot of restraining work but as u say not all 8 hr intense and no where near real life experience as its all controlled, i wouldnt add it at all but as im just starting out my activity level is pretty low for now so this is probably the the most active i will have been since starting the plan this week so regardless of level im assuming my heart rate might soar higher than most lol maybe thats wishful thinking! Lol
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Martial arts is in there - 5.3 METS
    - or use 4.3 for purpose of eating back.

Then just to figure the time of actual action.
  • Kim2ka2
    Options
    Thanks haybales im just heading to it now so will try and figure out how much work i actually end up doing! Probs not much but i thought it was worth askin the question!