problem eating too much for dinner

Options
before dinner, i was doing well (goal calories around 1300-1400/day, im 5'1 female)
for dinner, i told myself id just get something small like maybe 200 calories
then i went into chic fila to grab some food for a friend too before a movie
i hadnt eaten an official dinner but before i went in i thought id just grab something small for like 200 calories, a snack basically
but they didnt really have anything for this calories
and i didnt want to seem like im not eating anything for dinner while my friend is eating a lot (shes a bit overweight and i didnt want to make her feel bad), a little peer pressue
i got the grilled club sandwich combo thinking id eat maybe half of the sandwich and a couple of fries but i ended up eating almost all the fries and most of the sandwich too except like two small pieces of the bun, so out of the 800 calories i ate like 700 calories :(
what can i do to have better control of it?
i think i lost control today because:
1. i didnt want to eat 200 calories "snack" while my friend was eating a 800 calorie meal and i kinda felt pressured to eat with her
2. also once i started eating it i couldnt put it down so i just ate the whole thing

now when i do then the next day i want to eat less calories like 1000 calories to "make up" for this bad day, so the average between the two days is 1500/day - is that a bad thing to do? or should i eat normally tomorrow? (maybe around 1300 calories)?

1/26 m
lasagna 525
banana 105
blueberries 30
oats 130

meatballs 210

apple rest 30
apple 50

hot chocolate 65
almond joy 80

chic fila grilled club sandw 360
fries 350
unsweetened ice tea 0

Replies

• moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I think the best way to avoid temptation is to just avoid temptation. By that I mean trying to avoid going into fast food restaurants, get rid of junk food around the house, etc.. You can't always avoid things like that, but it does help.

don't be too hard on yourself though. It happens, and tomorrow is a new day.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat more at dinner so I just have lighter lunches to make up for it. If you find dinner is your biggest meal, have a smaller breakfast or lunch. Or skip them entirely.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Log it and move on. I would just eat normally tomorrow.
    In future, you could skip buying fries and just get a sandwich. That would've been pretty close to what you were thinking of eating.
  • lilbea89
    lilbea89 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Skipping meals and trying to "make up" for a bad eating day can end up worse than just owning it, shaking it off, and starting anew again the next day. I find its hard for me to fight a binge or snacking urge when I drop my cals really low or skip meals.

Why are you worried so much about what your friend will think? I'm not saying to be rude about it but if they're overweight and plan on eating something that's fattening, then why tempt yourself and order something that is fattening just to make them feel better about making a bad choice? I know chick-fil- a has salads and stuff, if you don't drench them in dressing or toppings they would have been closer to your goal. And hey, if you order a salad first maybe your friend will feel peer pressure to eat a salad too and then your being a good influence on her!

But if you feel you must absolutely order the high calorie option here is what I do to avoid temptation. If I get something and plan on eating only half, I ask the employee for a to go box right off the bat. When I get my food I cut it in half and put one half in the to go box and put it out of my sight. That way I only have what I intended to eat on my plate and I can't see the rest so I won't lose control or accidentally eat it. Plus you have a pre-weighed meal for lunch the next day!
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    My advice is to skip the fries. In addition you have to eat dinner. Stop beating yourself up and learn to tweak.
  • pinkshoelaces
    pinkshoelaces Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    It's really not a good idea to drop your intake really low to make up for a bad day. This will most likely end up in a binge and you becoming even more miserable. Besides, 1900 calories really isn't that bad. I wouldn't consider that a bad enough day to warrant any kind of guilt or worry. Just go on as normal tomorrow.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Log it, learn from it, then eat normally the next day.

I would add, Chick Fil A, like most fast food chains, actually has good options in the calorie range you mentioned. For example, something I've ordered before is a Chick-Fil-A Grilled Chicken Wrap plus large Diet Lemonade for about 330 kcal. Then, perhaps you could park a little further from the movie theater to work off the extra 100 kcal walking in and out.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Pre-log your days when possible. Also, log and move on, it's over.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Check out menus online before you go and pre-log what you can eat

You could have just got a Diet Coke and said you'd already eaten - do not eat for other people

I never make up the day after - but I will save calories for things across the last 7 days - I know for me if I let myself eat something I didn't have the calories saved for on the basis I'll make up later I would crash and burn

• 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Keep healthy 100-200 calorie snacks on hand in your purse, at work, in the car - granola, banana, bag of cereal (Frosted Mini-Wheats are my favorite because the sugar makes me feel like it's a sneak), etc. That way you could curb your appetite in this kind of situation which may have given you a little more control. Do not worry about what your friends are doing, except perhaps for the positive influence YOU can have on them. And drink lots of water. No going back. I'm finding that this food logging thing requires a lot of self-forgiveness, which is not something I'm particularly good at. But it's a must, if you want to sustain this program! You're doing fine.