how long

Options
Hi,

I am a typical serial gym goer/ dieter but seem to constantly get stuck in a rut.. for the first couple of weeks my motivation is great but I struggle when i don’t see change! (then generally quit)

I am an amateur and i know every person id different but when am i likely to see results..?? i also appreciate this is dependent on exercise etc...

My current exercise aim is:
Monday – Swimming
Tuesday – Spinning
Wednesday – body sculpt
Thursdays – Spinning

My calorie intake will be 1530 or less daily.

I know this is a very general question but if you could give me any tip ewtc would be lovely!

Thanks

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    With 91 pounds to lose, you can easily drop 10 pounds in the first month (initial water weight, then 2 pounds a week).
  • cdiponio87
    cdiponio87 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You have the right plan....just stick to it. It will take time.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    body composition is more about what and how much you are eating, not your exercise. you cannot out train a bad diet.

and you probably don't notice a change because you see yourself everyday.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    you could not exercise and drop weight if you eat at the proper defecit

that said, if you are going to exercise you should do what you enjoy and not use it to beat yourself over the head with

if you're going from nothing to telling yourself it's every night then that's an all-or-nothing philosophy

Personally I'd be looking to build up to doing 2 - 3 weight lifting / resistance sessions per week and a couple of cardio sessions per week - me I put my cardio into my gym workout as a warm-up session
  • smjpk03lk
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    you could not exercise and drop weight if you eat at the proper defecit

that said, if you are going to exercise you should do what you enjoy and not use it to beat yourself over the head with

if you're going from nothing to telling yourself it's every night then that's an all-or-nothing philosophy

Personally I'd be looking to build up to doing 2 - 3 weight lifting / resistance sessions per week and a couple of cardio sessions per week - me I put my cardio into my gym workout as a warm-up session

that's great info thank-you... as I mentioned I am very much an amateur... what do you mean by 'eating at the proper defecit'??

I didn't realise weight lifting was so beneficial!!!

thanks

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting / resistance training is amazing particularly when eating at a defecit as it helps to maintain your LBM (muscles) as you drop weight .. you may get some newbie muscle gain but not much

Feeling strong and fit is great for the mindset, helps strengthen your resolve and when the fat drops away you're hopefylly left with taught tight muscles underneath rather than nothing (dependent on your genetic lottery of skin / excess skin of course)

Eating at a defecit just basically means eating fewer calories than you use up

So the MFP method gives you a calorie goal based on your age, height, weight and basic activity level and goal weight loss per week - so if you are in a desk job like me, you'd put sedentary

Those calories are what you should eat to roughly hit your goal weight loss (I am set to 0.5lbs per week because I have less than 14lbs to go)

Purposeful exercise goes in on top in the exercise part of the diary - cut the calories the MFP database gives you by half because it overestimates

Then eat that - your basic MFP goal PLUS your exercise calories - average it over the week if you prefer

Then judge how you are losing weight over 4 - 6 weeks and adjust your numbers to suit your goal (eg up or down with the calories eaten)
  • jimmyspets
    Options
    Weight loss/ weight gain is in theory quite simple.
    Its just In-Out=difference. If the difference is positive you will gain weight, if its negative you will lose weight. MyFitnessPal does a great job keeping track of the In part, the out part could be a Fitbit device plus manual entries for things that you do at the gym or it could be a GPS/pulse watch or your phone to keep track of the running. If you connect your devices to MyFintessPal you will get a good estimate of in+out . To lose a 0,5 kilos (1 pound) per week you need to have a negative difference of about 500 calories per day.
    The problem whith checking your progress is that your weight on the scale jumps up and down quite a lot depending on how much water is in the body at the moment, i use Trendweigth to help me see the big picture, an added bonus is that it also helps you find errors in you In+Out calculation by telling you how big the difference actually is on average.