Over 50, over weight, starting today!!

Options
I am 58 years young, a school teacher and would like to loose 35-50 lbs. I am not a big exerciser, which I know is a negative, but am on my feet all day and need to get healthy for my 4 granddaughters. If I can motivate you, maybe you can motivate me!!

Replies

• cathylane156
    Options
    Hi I am cathy 58 years old...started myfitnesspal today
  • kmossman360
    kmossman360 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am Katrina, and I started myfitnesspal yesterday. I am 52 years old and need to lose 35 to 50 pounds. I have three children and four grandchildren. I really want to take this weight off so that I feel healthier and have more energy. I'm tired of being out of breath just from walking up the stairs or even sometimes just standing. I don't know what's come over me but lately I just feel like it's time actually time to do something for myself. I would love the motivation myself and I would love to help motivate anyone else if I can. I wish you great success!!!
  • jacqueinhutto
    jacqueinhutto Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me!!
  • bm1409
    bm1409 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    I am 54. I bet you get in more exercise then you think, you should get something to count your steps. It might even motivate you to walk a little more. Feel free to add me as a friend. I also have a walking group. Its were a bunch of us add all of our miles or steps together and virtually walk from the west coast to the east coast. Its just a fun way to motivate everyone to move more. if you want to join the group just message me and I will send you a invite (anyone else is welcome to join too)
  • chachadeb
    chachadeb Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    55 years old, here to lose and get healthy, feel free to add me!
  • pac263
    pac263 Posts: 1
    Options
    Will be 52 this week. Need to lose 50. Please add me
  • gettingweightoff50
    Options
    51 feel free to add me
  • jk051861
    jk051861 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    53, need to lose 30 pounds. I've been on MFP awhile and exercise regularly. But this menopause thing is kicking my butt. I'm tired and irritable alot. I cannot take anything with estrogen in it because I had breast cancer awhile back. So I just have to deal with it. Sometimes fried chicken just hits the spot.
  • EPHarbor
    EPHarbor Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi - 51 here, with a pound or 80 to lose. I've been doing very well with MFP, not particularly active. Please feel free to add me.
  • Sleeper1962
    Sleeper1962 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm over 50 here too, and need to lose about 145 ish. Welcome! I've been here only about 2 weeks and really like it here. In three weeks of exercising, I have gone from only being able to walk for 5 minutes at a stretch on the treadmill to being able to walk 30 minutes at a stretch. Good luck to you! You can do it!!!
  • judyharrison1955
    judyharrison1955 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm 59 and started MFP 3 weeks ago and have lost 12 of th 40 pounds I want to loose. Not a big on activity but I and doing the Leslie Sansone 30 min walk challenge in 30 days and it seems to be working. Best thing is , I don't have to leave the house.
  • venturecrew26
    venturecrew26 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Debbie, I'm 58 yrs of age and I began myfitnesspal on 1/21. Due to my sugar levels being so high, my doctor has told me I need to lose roughly 20 lbs. I'm following my caloric intake, carbs, etc, however I have not lost anything since the 21st. Both my husband and I joined a gym and go for our orientation this week. Any suggestions on making this journey any easier?
  • lhanson0851
    lhanson0851 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Lisa - almost 52 and need to lose 70. I'm back after getting lost in the hustle and bustle of busy life. MFP has helped me in the past and I'm excited to join others on the journey. I enjoy social activities and the food that goes with them. Tracking what I eat is soooo important. I try to limit soda and sodium and I enjoy exercising the most when music or reading is involved. My dog thinks all exercise should involve her. Looking forward to your successes as they motivate me!
  • bluejoyce
    Options
    I'm 44 and I gain weight no matter what I do. I ride a horse for 30 min. Clean the barn. Walk up & down that hill to another barn to do chores..constantly moving and yippee I gain 5 lbs doing all that while eating under 1,800 calories. Time to go shopping for fat clothes! (Sarcasm.. I'm frustrated and sarcastic)
  • aaliceinw
    aaliceinw Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I'm over 50 here too, and need to lose about 145 ish. Welcome! I've been here only about 2 weeks and really like it here. In three weeks of exercising, I have gone from only being able to walk for 5 minutes at a stretch on the treadmill to being able to walk 30 minutes at a stretch. Good luck to you! You can do it!!!

Well done that is pretty awesome!
    bluejoyce wrote: »
    I'm 44 and I gain weight no matter what I do. I ride a horse for 30 min. Clean the barn. Walk up & down that hill to another barn to do chores..constantly moving and yippee I gain 5 lbs doing all that while eating under 1,800 calories. Time to go shopping for fat clothes! (Sarcasm.. I'm frustrated and sarcastic)

Break it down into baby steps to see exactly where your biggest challenges are. Are you under or over eating? Do you have the right macro nutrients? Are you exercising too much or too little? Have you seen a dietician to assist you and finally are you accurately counting your calories. Setting small weekly goals to check what is working or not working for you might help, if you haven't tried that before.
  • aaliceinw
    Options
    Hi, my name is Debbie, I'm 58 yrs of age and I began myfitnesspal on 1/21. Due to my sugar levels being so high, my doctor has told me I need to lose roughly 20 lbs. I'm following my caloric intake, carbs, etc, however I have not lost anything since the 21st. Both my husband and I joined a gym and go for our orientation this week. Any suggestions on making this journey any easier?

Hi Debbie it is easier if you create min goals or baby steps to begin with because you can monitor what works and what doesn't.
  • aaliceinw
    Options
    For some reason I cannot add anyone from the iPhone app. There is a baby steps community. If you are interested I will send you and invite and please feel free to add me ladies.

I started on MFP just over 30 days and I have also moved from coach potato to walk/Running 5 kilometers last Saturday. I have never ran in my life before... Except to get away from anyone chasing not me
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Over 50 as well, started here last January, and lost my target weight. You can all do it too! I look forward to reading your success stories this time next year. For a little motivation, here's mine.

PS -- Exercise, while not necessary for weight loss, is important for fitness and strength. Having been there, I strongly recommend both a good diet, and a good bit of exercise.
  • Rachelerik
    Rachelerik Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 53 and need to lose 70ish more. I have been here off and on. While actually using MFP I have been successful! Then when off, not so good. So back again and looking for friends... friends really do help keep you on track and motivated! Please add me as a friend... All new friends welcome!