Boxing diet.

Options
I have to lose 7 kg in 8 weeks whats the best diet to keep muscle but shred fat?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Are you in a competition?
  • stevenedgar24
    stevenedgar24 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yea army championships
    default Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    there is plenty of information available to cut weight before fights as far as restricting liquid and food intake. Look for this on MMA and wrestling devoted websites. But, you should try to lose as much weight by healthy means up until a few days before the weigh in.

If you've never cut weight before though, I wouldn't recommend it. Really that is something you should have experience in before doing it at an important event. The first few times I've done it I had coaches monitoring the progress.

You have 8 weeks, which is plenty of time to achieve this simply by restricting calorie intake and exercise. But, cutting 5% of your weight is easy to achieve simply by restricting fluid/food intake a day to two days before the weigh in.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Only way to lose weight is eat in a caloric deficit.

Since you need to lose 15lbs. in 8 weeks, I don't see it happening, at all.

Since this is your first time (or you wouldn't be asking otherwise) your body won't be in any shape for endurance or fighting come fight day.

I suggest you avoid it entirely, or you're just going to end up losing anyhow and causing havoc on your body. I have a feeling you won't listen, and will end up eating 2-4 salads a day thinking that's the way to go.

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    That's a f-tonne of weight to lose in 8 weeks.

Unless you're seriously obese to start with, you'll just end up losing a bunch of good stuff rather than fat. As a consequence you'll tank on fight day.

It's unhelpful, but 16-24 weeks out would have been a better place to start, if the intended result is to put up a half decent fight (your skills being up to the test, of course).
  • Cheeseburger85
    Cheeseburger85 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    It's tough but you can do it. I had to cut weight for a fight about 6 years ago when I was competing. I did the cutting mostly on my own without someone holding my hand through it. I lost a similar amount of weight in the same period of time. It is easier if the weigh in is the day before the fight. Just do some research on it. For you first time, try to minimize the amount of weight you dehydrate right before the fight.
  • ErikThaRed
    ErikThaRed Posts: 139 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Since this is your first time (or you wouldn't be asking otherwise) your body won't be in any shape for endurance or fighting come fight day.

I suggest you avoid it entirely, or you're just going to end up losing anyhow and causing havoc on your body. I have a feeling you won't listen, and will end up eating 2-4 salads a day thinking that's the way to go.

I lost 20 lbs in 8 weeks on the 10 day green smoothie cleanse. You basically drink veggie/fruit smoothies for every meal for 10 days with healthy snacks in between. When the first 10 days are over, you can continue on what they call the modified cleanse, which is similar to the slim fast diet... 2 smoothies and a healthy dinner. Its not the best way to lose weight obviously, so to all the trolls, please don't attack me, but it worked. It you need something quick, try it. The smoothies tasted really good too.

http://www.amazon.com/10-Day-Green-Smoothie-Cleanse-Pounds/dp/1501100106
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    ErikThaRed wrote: »

I lost 20 lbs in 8 weeks on the 10 day green smoothie cleanse. You basically drink veggie/fruit smoothies for every meal for 10 days with healthy snacks in between. When the first 10 days are over, you can continue on what they call the modified cleanse, which is similar to the slim fast diet... 2 smoothies and a healthy dinner. Its not the best way to lose weight obviously, so to all the trolls, please don't attack me, but it worked. It you need something quick, try it. The smoothies tasted really good too.

Did you step into the ring at the end of it?

Did you do 8 weeks of fight prep during it?

How did the bout go?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Eat at a deficit and you'll lose weight. It makes no difference.
  • martyqueen52
    Options
    ErikThaRed wrote: »

When you can fight, boxing at that, which requires a lot of endurance, on that *kitten* "cleanse" you swear by..... let us know, bruh.

• kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    My husband is a wrestling coach so I've been around guys cutting for a while. You'll need to run a LOT. Most guys I've seen cut weight run 10+ miles a day. You'll also want to be in a huge calorie deficit...salads with NO dressing...1/2 an apple, a few carrot sticks, an egg. Make sure to take a multivitamin. Two days before weigh-in you limit your fluid intake so that it is practically nothing (you will feel terrible but once you weigh-in you can drink all you want.) Sports where you have to cut weight are brutal but try to do it in as a healthy way as possible.
  • martyqueen52
    edited January 2015
    Options
    My husband is a wrestling coach so I've been around guys cutting for a while. You'll need to run a LOT. Most guys I've seen cut weight run 10+ miles a day. You'll also want to be in a huge calorie deficit...salads with NO dressing...1/2 an apple, a few carrot sticks, an egg. Make sure to take a multivitamin. Two days before weigh-in you limit your fluid intake so that it is practically nothing (you will feel terrible but once you weigh-in you can drink all you want.) Sports where you have to cut weight are brutal but try to do it in as a healthy way as possible.

Stupid advice.

Lets be in a "huge" caloric deficit (which will hinder performance alone) and suggest running MILES. Great advice for someone who wants to fight.

He just needs to face the fact, it's not going to happen. If he does manage to drop 15 lbs. it will be water weight mostly with some fat and he WILL lose due to lack of endurance & strength.
  • stevenedgar24
    Options
    Ive done it quite a few times but i just wanted to see the different ideas out there. Get ideas off other people on here. Everytime ive done it i feel fine in the ring i think a kg a week is fine.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options

Stupid advice.

Lets be in a "huge" caloric deficit (which will hinder performance alone) and suggest running MILES. Great advice for someone who wants to fight.

He just needs to face the fact, it's not going to happen. If he does manage to drop 15 lbs. it will be water weight mostly with some fat and he WILL lose due to lack of endurance & strength.

I agree, It will be a lot of water weight that he loses. But what I said isn't stupid advice for when you are talking about losing weight for sports like boxing and wrestling. My brother-in-law is a 3 time National All American for Division II college wrestling winning the championship twice for his weight. When competing in the upper-levels of a sport like wrestling and boxing you are pushing your self and your body past what normal people are capable of. My brother-in-law was going to a 2 hour long wrestling practice six days a week, running 15 miles a day and going to the weight room most every day and restricting what he ate throughout the entire season and then having to cut even more if he had to drop down a weight. Most days he was miserable and looked sick but that's what it took to win.
  • stevenedgar24
    Options

Stupid advice.

I agree, It will be a lot of water weight that he loses. But what I said isn't stupid advice for when you are talking about losing weight for sports like boxing and wrestling. My brother-in-law is a 3 time National All American for Division II college wrestling winning the championship twice for his weight. When competing in the upper-levels of a sport like wrestling and boxing you are pushing your self and your body past what normal people are capable of. My brother-in-law was going to a 2 hour long wrestling practice six days a week, running 15 miles a day and going to the weight room most every day and restricting what he ate throughout the entire season and then having to cut even more if he had to drop down a weight. Most days he was miserable and looked sick but that's what it took to win.

Thats very true. I train sometime 4 times a day wether it be hillsprints or hard noxing session sometimes with about 2500 a day or 3000 calories a day but i still feel fine the day of my fight if i eat right
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I'd just try a small surplus till a day/couple of days before weigh-in then dump the water weight. And if you're stuck on the day the old bin bag and skipping ropes deal ( that's what my daughter did and some others in her club).
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

Stupid advice.

In fairness, it doesn't matter if it's just water weight, as long as it's weight! You get plenty of time to stuff yourself between weigh-in and your fight.
  • stevenedgar24
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »
    I'd just try a small surplus till a day/couple of days before weigh-in then dump the water weight. And if you're stuck on the day the old bin bag and skipping ropes deal ( that's what my daughter did and some others in her club).

Im normally fine losing a kg a week i just wanted to see others ideas. :)