Anyone tried Belviq?

Options
Has anyone tried Belviq to help curb their appetite? If so what was your experience with it.

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    http://www.drugs.com/cons/belviq.html

Nope, too many potential side effects for me. You don't need that stuff.
  • Birdie1952
    Birdie1952 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Seems to be a lot of good reviews on the website you sent.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Ignores the insane list of side effects, points out the fake reviews. Okay.

ETA: "Lorcaserin is used together with a reduced-calorie diet and proper exercise to help you lose weight." So the drug doesn't work without lower calories and exercise, but lowering calories and exercise works without the drug. What does that tell you?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Eat at a deficit, bet you'll get the same results.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    What they said.
  • joolsmd
    joolsmd Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    These are only the COMMON side effects:

increased hunger
    isn't this what the drug is supposed to prevent? :confused:

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    zzwceyt4hqzo.jpeg

Birdie1952 wrote: »
    Seems to be a lot of good reviews on the website you sent.

• Birdie1952
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

That is one of my problems. It is hard for me to eat at a deficit. I take blood pressure medication that increases my appetite. They work great at controling my BP and it took many changes to get the correct medication that is why I don't want to change my BP pills. I am 5'2 and 62 years old and am trying to eat at 1500 cal a day. I know that sounds like a lot but for some reason I just can't seem to stay at that per day.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I think I'd hold off and wait for more studies. Belviq is similar to fenfluramine which is the part of phen-fen that caused heart valve problems.

Consumer Reports recommends against it:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2013/06/weight-loss-pill-belviq-is-now-available-but-we-say-skip-it/index.htm

Also, from Time magazine:

Are there any side effects?
    The most common side effects of Belviq in non-diabetic patients are headache, dizziness, fatigue, nausea, dry mouth and constipation; in patients with diabetes, side effects include low blood sugar, headache, back pain, cough and fatigue.

There was also some concern that Belviq caused tumors in animals and heart-valve defects in people. A similar serotonin-based drug that had been approved for weight loss — fenfluramine — was removed from the market in 1997 because of the same heart concerns.

In 2010, the FDA rejected Arena’s first request for approval, asking for more evidence of its safety. New data provided by the company showed that heart problems would not occur at the low doses at which Belviq would be prescribed. The FDA won’t require patients taking Belviq to be monitored for heart-valve damage, but the company is required to conduct six studies once the drug reaches the market to determine whether it causes heart attacks or stroke in people who take it.

• lemon629
    edited January 2015
    Options
    These are only the COMMON side effects:

Anxiety
    bladder pain
    bloody or cloudy urine
    blurred vision
    body aches or pain
    chills
    cold sweats
    coma (A *kitten* COMA is common!)
    confusion
    cool, pale skin
    cough
    depression
    difficult, burning, or painful urination
    difficulty with breathing
    dizziness
    ear congestion
    fast heartbeat
    fever
    frequent urge to urinate
    headache
    increased hunger
    loss of voice
    lower back or side pain
    nasal congestion
    nausea
    nightmares
    pounding in the ears
    runny nose
    seizures
    shakiness
    slow or fast heartbeat
    slurred speech
    sneezing
    sore throat
    swelling of the breasts or breast soreness in both females and males
    unexpected or excess milk flow from the breasts (WTF!!)
    unusual tiredness or weakness

Coma must not be common because it is not included in the official product insert which the FDA reviews. Same thing for increased hunger. No need to be fear mongering.

http://www.belviq.com/documents/Belviq_Prescribing_information.pdf
  • lemon629
    Options

That is one of my problems. It is hard for me to eat at a deficit. I take blood pressure medication that increases my appetite. They work great at controling my BP and it took many changes to get the correct medication that is why I don't want to change my BP pills. I am 5'2 and 62 years old and am trying to eat at 1500 cal a day. I know that sounds like a lot but for some reason I just can't seem to stay at that per day.

Belviq is contraindicated for people who take high blood pressure medication. I doubt your doctor will give you a prescription.

I doubt the bp medication is your main problem, anyway.
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Wait, you already have high blood pressure and you want to take something that could cause an increased heart rate? I'm not 100% sure, but that's probably not the best idea. Since you are already on medication, I would consider calling up your doctor and asking their opinion. You really don't want to do something that could cause your body damage.
  • ljrain
    ljrain Posts: 7
    Options
    My doctor gave me a script, I filled it with the free voucher. But, I am afraid of taking it and will probably dispose of it.

The side effects are very scary looking. I was actually surprised my doctor felt this was SAFE compared to other diet pills that she could prescribe.

I am going to keep trying to natural way with commitment and accountability.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    ljrain wrote: »
    My doctor gave me a script, I filled it with the free voucher. But, I am afraid of taking it and will probably dispose of it.

The side effects are very scary looking. I was actually surprised my doctor felt this was SAFE compared to other diet pills that she could prescribe.

I am going to keep trying to natural way with commitment and accountability.

Kudos to you! Commitment and accountability work way better than any diet pill.
    OP, I've been on prednisone steroid medication (and very high doses of it, up to 95mg at one point, now at 30mg) since April. I started losing weight in June and I've lost 44lbs DESPITE the insane increased hunger that is common with steroid medication. You can do it. You just have to really want it.
  • Birdie1952
    Options
    Thanks to all of you for your input.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options

I'm 5'4, 52yo and also take BP meds. I find 1400-1600 quite satisfying. Maybe you should change what you are eating, not how much (cal-wise). If you want suggestions for tweaking your food/meal plans, consider opening your diary.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Look, it sounds very dangerous, especially to mix it with your blood pressure meds. Please, avoid.
  • musicandarts
    musicandarts Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Isn't Belviq a prescription medicine? What does your physician say?