Need to find a sustitute... can someone help me?

Options
SheilaSisco
SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
I have this amazing recipe for enchiladas, but I'm trying to find a way to make it a tad bit healthier... So I was wondering if anyone had a good substitute for cream of chicken soup? The sauce that goes OVER the enchiladas is usually a can of cream of chicken mixed with a can of enchilada sauce, but it's kind of a sodium nightmare, so.... can anyone help me?

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    do they not make sodium free?

maybe mushroom soup
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    maybe look for a recipe to make your own? i have this problem CONSTANTLY and i really don't know how to solve it yet. :(
  • aanddplusoanda
    aanddplusoanda Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I believe they make low sodium.... :)
  • Spayrroe
    Spayrroe Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Campbells makes a low fat cream of chicken soup. I don't know about the sodium content in it though.
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Make your own!! Light milk, with some sodium-free chicken broth :smile:
  • mumma2boyz
    mumma2boyz Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Maybe make your own sauce with chicken stock/broth, cornstarch, half n half with some spanish spices? All basically calorie free except half n half...but wouldn't need very much to greatly affect calorie per serving.
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Make bechamel. It's simple and one of the mother sauces. Once you master it, you will NEVER have any reason to use canned cream of anything soup. It can be seasoned and flavored with anything. Here's a video:

http://www.bonappetit.com/tipstools/videos/2008/04/making_bechamel_sauce
  • searbear1980
    searbear1980 Posts: 110
    Options
    Some non-fat sour cream, plain nonfat yogurt is what I use.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    you could probably just use half and water it down a bit - or try low sodium chicken broth so you still get the taste and then bulk it up with a low sodium cheese.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Someone posted a recipe for enchilada sauce the other day in one of the forums. It would be low in sodium. Maybe you can look for it.
  • FAtGiRLFItGiRL
    Options
    its cream of celery thats what i read on hungry girls website. im making enchiladas for mothers day :)
  • FabOma08
    FabOma08 Posts: 500
    Options
    if your using canned enchilada sauce, the regular one's pretty high in sodium too. Old El Paso does make a lower sodium as well.
  • TJWrites00
    TJWrites00 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I use the recipes here because the canned stuff tastes too processed to me.

http://www.thesimpledollar.com/2009/04/24/five-frugal-food-tactics-from-trents-kitchen/

Same base as mentioned upthread, but it worked well for me.