No calories burned for snow blowing???

Options
The MFP database has no calories burned for snow blowing???!!!. I guess all MFP users live down south and what with global warming it's not needed. Fortnately other websites do.

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Try using a shovel instead.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Snow blowing=walking
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

lol
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

No joke, this is the way I always do it, just for the exercise. I always break a sweat, even in a t-shirt on a 20 degree day.

Just be careful, of course, lift properly.
  • chetfreeman
    chetfreeman Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Actually I do blow most of the snow with my blower, not my lips. I just don't have enough hot air. I try to avoid using a shovel except for the places the blower doesn't do. LOL. But now I need the calorie burn rate for blizzard blowing. We're supposed to get 20 to 30." If you equate snow blowing to walking you must do your walking at 10 mph.
  • mommyofjan
    mommyofjan Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It's probably close to push mowing the lawn. Good luck with the snow that is coming!
  • LazyNightOwl
    LazyNightOwl Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I had to shovel this morning and broke a sweat in my jacket, very uncomfortable feeling...yuck!
  • diegops1
    diegops1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I shovel, but if I wanted a snow blower, I would hire the big bad wolf instead of spending several hundred(thousand?) dollars on a gasoline powered device. Huff & puff ;-)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP I think you are too concerned with a minor, one time, calorie burn from a snow blower...
  • kmash32
    kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If you really want to know google it. There are several sites that list it. (Sorry can't figure out how to cook and paste URL with tablet)

• meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    I'd put it similar to lawn mowing.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't log it period.
    Without a HRM (which would probably be innacurate, due to the vibration of the snow blower), it's impossible to know how much you actually burned during it, and risk overestimating your exercise calories.

Log purposeful exercise.
  • spencch
    spencch Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    A number of variables, including your own weight and the depth of the snow (more difficult to snow blow 18 inches of snow than 4). One of the on-line calculators have put the calories burned at 305 calories/hour for someone that weighs 150 pounds.

That seems a reasonable estimate for the amount of work involved.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    The MFP database has no calories burned for snow blowing???!!!. I guess all MFP users live down south and what with global warming it's not needed. Fortnately other websites do.

You're walking behind a motorized stroller.

There's no calorie burn for it, come on.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I don't log blowing snow with my self-propelled, 2-stage snowblower, because I'm basically just walking along behind it slowly and steering. There is somewhat more work involved when I pull it backwards (faster than shifting into reverse), or pushing it into a particularly dense patch, but not that much. I just figure that it's part of my normal routine. I do log shoveling snow, since that's real work.

If I were using a one-stage snowblower without a motorized drive, I would log it as walking.
  • mcltre36
    mcltre36 Posts: 9 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Depends on the amount of snow you are blowing. A couple inches would be just like a lawn mower - A couple feet is a different story if you are pulling and pushing the blower into the the bank. I just spent 2 hours cleaning a 4 car driveway after 2 feet of snow - and its nothing like pushing a lawn mower or walking behind a motorized stroller...
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    No, doesn't depend. It's a motorized stroller for adult men.

Granted, they're fun, but yeah... no... not a workout. Not hard to do, and about as minimal an effort one can put into snow play.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    mcltre36 wrote: »
    Depends on the amount of snow you are blowing. A couple inches would be just like a lawn mower - A couple feet is a different story if you are pulling and pushing the blower into the the bank. I just spent 2 hours cleaning a 4 car driveway after 2 feet of snow - and its nothing like pushing a lawn mower or walking behind a motorized stroller...

put that away - get out a shovel- and then you have a real calorie burn.
  • abrockway21
    abrockway21 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

-As I sip coffee from my kitchen watching a plow truck clear 3 inches of snow away.
    I'd love to invite these idiots up north after a 2 ft storm of wet heavy snow. Battling the 4 ft snowbanks next to the road and clearing the rest of the driveway for 2 1/2 hours works up a hell of a sweat. There's still a ton of pushing and pulling that 200 lb snowblower. If you've never done it, don't comment.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

-As I sip coffee from my kitchen watching a plow truck clear 3 inches of snow away.
    I'd love to invite these idiots up north after a 2 ft storm of wet heavy snow. Battling the 4 ft snowbanks next to the road and clearing the rest of the driveway for 2 1/2 hours works up a hell of a sweat. There's still a ton of pushing and pulling that 200 lb snowblower. If you've never done it, don't comment.

2 1/2 hours? You must have one heck of a driveway..... strong first post though, calling other members idiots.

Bad news though, working up a sweat does not correlate with calorie expenditure. Even if you equated to activity to 2.5 hours of strength training you'd be looking at 500 or 600 calories.