shin splints? input wanted

Options
I don't run very much just because I'm not a big fan, I've had my shoes for over a year and they usually do really well but I've noticed lately when I go to the gym and use ellipticals, stationary bikes, treadmills ect. I start to get shin splints, but only while I'm on the machine, not after. Any idea on why and how to fix it? I assume I just need new shoes but I'm not sure what kind to get.

Replies

• So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Your shoes might very well be the issue. You'll want to go to a running store (not a big box sporting goods store) and get fitted for the right shoes for you.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    If you're not running, any low-heeled shoe that you find comfortable, like Keds, skateboard shoes, Merrells, Converse, etc.
  • ilikecupcakes6
    ilikecupcakes6 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Tried wearing converse this time, same results :/
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Try to do some toe raises with some weight. I used to use the ez curl bar to do them.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Shin splints are often an overuse problem. Are you taking rest days? Treadmills set at zero incline can also cause shin splints. Set it to at least .5%.
  • Lalalindaloo
    Lalalindaloo Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Yep. I run and walk on the treadmill and will get shin splints if there is no incline. Set at least a low incline, stretch before starting and that should help. It does for me!
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Getting fitted with running shoes solved my shin splint issues. I used to get them bad when I played racquetball too. They put me in a stability shoe that stopped my foot from rolling.