Don't eat past 8

Options
2»

Replies

• mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    The only thing it might impact is your weight if you weigh yourself the following morning after eating later...I used to work late and come home and eat dinners at 10:30pm and nope I didn't gain anything, but certainly it was a bit dismal looking at the scales to see I was heavier and not getting a very accurate reading of my weight at that time.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    You're under your calories for the day, that's fine.

I have to eat after 8pm if I want to work out at 6am or I feel weak. I really love eating a snack in bed at 10pm watching Netflix, I look forward to it.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    The specific time is irrevelant.

However, I recently read some research that eating within a 12-hour window is conducive to consistent fat loss and general health. I wish I had the link to provide. So far the testing has only been done on mice, so it's definitely still research.

The recommendation from it was no matter when you start, start from the first cup of coffee or whatever and count 12 hours from there. If you go over by an hour here or there doesn't seem to be a problem as long as it's not extending the time on a regular basis.

FYI
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    The only reason I try and not eat late is because I have reflux. Other than that, you are fine.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    The dont' eat past 8:00 thing is just a method of eating less overall, not because you'll lose less or gain more if you eat after 8:00. It's just a weight loss trick that may be helpful to some.

I eat most of calories after 8:00 and just before bed. I'm rarely hungry in the morning and rarely have trouble sleeping. I simply prefer to eat at night. Eat when you prefer.
  • MummyKate85
    MummyKate85 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I don't think it matters. I eat late very often and it has'nt stopped me losing weight.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I eat late on purpose. I do intermittent fasting, which for me means that I skip breakfast to save calories for a bigger dinner and bedtime snacks. Hasn't slowed me down at all.
  • jodiekouns
    jodiekouns Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. Like I said I'm new to this and would just like to maximize my weight loss with facts and not myths. I'd really like support and am not sure how to add friends so anyone feel free to send me a request. Ty all again good stuff
  • jodiekouns
    jodiekouns Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. Like I said I'm new to this and would just like to maximize my weight loss with facts and not myths. I'd really like support and am not sure how to add friends so anyone feel free to send me a request. Ty all again good stuff
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    If you are the type that likes to weigh in every day in the morning, eating a big meal late in the evening (when you don't normally) can make it look like you gained weight overnight. In reality you just retained some more water, and still had that food digesting.

It is one of those false correlation/causation things. It only looks like it has something to do with weight loss when in reality there are other things are going on.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Unless you get heartburn at night, I wouldn't worry about that.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    mzbek24 wrote: »
    The only thing it might impact is your weight if you weigh yourself the following morning after eating later...I used to work late and come home and eat dinners at 10:30pm and nope I didn't gain anything, but certainly it was a bit dismal looking at the scales to see I was heavier and not getting a very accurate reading of my weight at that time.

I agree with this. It may not make a difference to overall weight loss but I try to eat at least 2-3 hours prior to going to bed and eat most of my carbs earlier in the day. I've found it has worked better for me. Since others are saying they have had no negative effects from eating later, it is clearly dependent on the individual. Unfortunately, I have dieted many times (lol) but have learned what moves the scales for me. Eating later hinders that FOR ME.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Total myth. Its about total number of calories, not what time you ate them
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    If you are the type that likes to weigh in every day in the morning, eating a big meal late in the evening (when you don't normally) can make it look like you gained weight overnight. In reality you just retained some more water, and still had that food digesting.

It is one of those false correlation/causation things. It only looks like it has something to do with weight loss when in reality there are other things are going on.

If you weigh yourself at the same time every week, and eat regularly late at at night like I do, then you'll still show a loss if you lost. The key is consistent habits. We eat "late" nearly everyday, since I work regularly until 8pm, mealtime is ofter 9:30 pm, plus beer, wine and possibly popcorn with tv. It makes no difference as long as you are under your calorie goal. I have a balanced, portion controlled meal, as normal. We stay up until midnight on an average day.

I sleep just fine. Ok, sometimes I need a rolaid for the beer or wine, darn acid, but thats just a calcium supplement, :-)

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »

If you weigh yourself at the same time every week, and eat regularly late at at night like I do, then you'll still show a loss if you lost. The key is consistent habits. We eat "late" nearly everyday, since I work regularly until 8pm, mealtime is ofter 9:30 pm, plus beer, wine and possibly popcorn with tv. It makes no difference as long as you are under your calorie goal. I have a balanced, portion controlled meal, as normal. We stay up until midnight on an average day.

I sleep just fine. Ok, sometimes I need a rolaid for the beer or wine, darn acid, but thats just a calcium supplement, :-)

Yup - that's what I meant. In other words if you normally eat at 6pm, but for whatever reason don't get to dinner until 9pm one night, then weigh yourself the next morning you might think "oh crap! I gained 5lbs!"

Thus a myth is born that you shouldn't eat past X:00
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    As long as you are under your calories you are fine. Log everything you eat accurately and nothing else matters.
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Meal timing ONLY matters inasmuch as it affects satiety. For example, some people find that spreading out smaller, more frequent meals help them stay full, while others find that eating only one or two larger meals help them stay full (I'm in the latter camp.)

Your stomach doesn't have a clock. People have varying schedules. Some even work all night and sleep all day. It's most definitely a myth.

This. Eat when you're hungry!!