Oh NOOOOOOO

Options
Updated my weight today. Down 45 lbs. since 1/1/11. Just noticed MFP reduced my calorie intake by 200/day. Why? Sniff! :(

Replies

• sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    If you wanna keep losing gotta lower the intake, kinda sad to see though
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Hey congratulate yourself big time!!!!! Your body needs less fuel hooray you are becoming an economical motor and not a guzzler bravo!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Now that your body is smaller, it takes less fuel to run it, so they readjust. Good news though - when you hit your goal and go on maintenance they give you more calories back!
  • dragonbabe20
    Options
    I suppose if you want to eat that 200 cal you could burn off 200 extra.... ;-) CONGRATS! 45 lbs in under 4.5 months...WOW! ~kim~
  • melcowenfitness
    melcowenfitness Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Just gonna put this out there.... MFP is a "computer"... it's not your body. If I took in the amount of calories that MFP recommended, I would be starving all the time, my weight loss would have suffered big time, and I would not feel as good as I do...

My workouts are very strenuous and I have to accommodate for that. By increasing my calorie intake, I have been able to lose 28 pounds and successfully keep it off.

Do what works for you. If you cut the calories as recommended but then see that your weight loss has stalled or that you are gaining weight back, make changes. Sounds like you've been doing a great job so far! Keep up the good work.
  • cboos
    cboos Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the kind words and support. Economical motor and not a guzzler..lol... I like that.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Congrats! May also be time to readjust goals as well. Might take a look at these to see where you're at and if you need to drop your loss/week goal down a bit.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics
  • finallyhappening2011
    finallyhappening2011 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Lucky you, congrats on the 45lbs weight loss. I can't wait til I get there and can say the same. Awesome job!!
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Remember that the recommended calories is NET calories...not just what you eat. It's intake-calories burned. Therefore if you exercise, you're allowed to eat those calories back, and your body usually needs you to. I've lost 28 lbs and recalculated today and they took away 60 calories, but that must mean I'm doing something right...like the guzzler analogy...your body is learning to use your calories more efficiently. Keep up the good work!
  • jenniepowell
    Options
    omg well done, i bet you feel amazing.
    I'm only on my first week and can't wait to start seeing the pounds coming off. I have 1200 cals a day but because I exercise most days I struggle eating that many!!! Basically my body is going into starvation mode, any suggestions.:smile:
  • melcowenfitness
    melcowenfitness Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    It takes time and adjustments - but figure out your baseline caloric needs (this is the formula I like best: tinyurl.com/caloricneedsformula)

As you move through your workout program, see how your body is reacting to those caloric needs AND how you are breaking down those calories via carbs, fats, and proteins... If your weight loss is suffering, adjust what you are doing.

I focused on increasing my calories first and then I played around with the percentage of carbs, fats, and proteins until I found what works well for me. I also found that eating clean really, really helped a lot: Lean meats, fruits, veggies, whole grains; avoiding processed foods as much as possible.

Hope that helps!

Mel