New here! I need to lose 100 pounds!

Options
Jseppp
Jseppp Posts: 11 Member
Well, this is where the truth comes out. I've let myself go after giving up on myself so many times. Over the years I've managed to gain 100 pounds. It's embarrassing, but I'm done hiding in shame. I'm an emotional eater, and even worse, I eat when I'm bored! I'm being really strict on myself on what I'm eating, and how much I'm eating now.

Any tips, support ideas, or anything to help? My Birthday is on February 8th, and by my birthday next year I want to be in shape!

Replies

• ArkMom35
    ArkMom35 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Hey, we share a birthday! And I am definitely an emotional and boredom eater, I eat when I'm happy, sad, mad, bored, busy, tired, anything. Or I did anyway. I'm trying to change. I've only been doing this since the 1st of January, so I'm muddling along myself. My best advice is to not deprive yourself so much that you're starving all the time, to enjoy a treat every now and then (or daily like I do), to get active, be patient, and not give up. Good luck to you! :)
  • knittingwiz
    knittingwiz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi, Jsepp. I am back after a break. Would love to friend you. I'm an emotional eater. I understand the embarrassment. I feel that way, too! Best of luck to you.
  • elenacolette
    Options
    Hey there!

I was in the same situation as you! I ate when I was upset/stressed out and definitely when I was bored. I wasn't drinking enough water at all! (about 5 glasses a day) I almost hit 200 pounds and I'm only 23.

Also happy early birthday! (mine is the 15th :smile: )

Definitely cut your portions down, it's okay to treat yourself once to twice a week, also if you're a big lover of meat; beef, steak, chicken - cut that down to 2-3x a week, and if you have chicken, have it in small portions once in a while and CHEW the heck out of it! It actually digests slower. Have tons of fruit and veggies! Especially berries and leafy greens like SPINACH! Look up anti-inflammatory foods, that will definitely help you out!

A number one BIG thing for me is cutting down on SODIUM, I've cut down a lot and it has given me a lot more energy and I'm losing weight easily and normally because of it. I eat either at 1,500mg or less, the max is 2,300mg (really depends on your diet though) and the average American eats 3,400mg or MORE. yikkkkeeesss.

Hopefully that helped a little! Don't be shy to send a friend request for motivation and support!

have a good day!
  • ShelleyHightower
    ShelleyHightower Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Jsepp, welcome to myfitnesspal. This is my second go around using this app but this time I am sticking to it. I started back on January 11,2015 and it is by far the best tool to help you stay on track. So far since the 11th I have lost 11 pounds. I am not on a diet so to say. I have just changed the foods I eat and stick to the recommended serving sizes. The word diet is not a word I like. It says I am going to be hungry. So I am eating clean "for the most part" I am not hungry. If anything I am getting full a lot faster because the fiber content of clean food is much higher. I try to eat whole foods as much as possible. fresh fruits and vegetable, whole meats nothing processed. I also try to eat as much organic as possible to cut out the preservatives and other poisons that are in our food. I also try not skip meals which is hard sometimes for me because I have a very busy schedule. I also snack between meals. eating clean you will consume less calories therefore giving you the opportunity to eat more food. I take one day a week and eat what ever I want I just make sure I don't go over my calorie goal. This satisfies my cravings for other foods but I will say I physically feel terrible after I eat junk food now because my body doesn't know how to process it now. You can eat the wrong foods lose weight but still not be healthy if what you are eating is full of additives. My weight loss goal is 150 pounds. I have 139 to go. But I don't look at it like that. If I did I would have already given up. I have set 25lb goals so I am already halfway through to completing my first goal. I am not sure what your family status is but with me I have a husband and a 15 year old daughter at home who at first were not happy about the food changes. I am in the south and I cook like my grandma did. Huge meals full of fried food and breads. My husband and daughter were blessed with a high metabolism, I however was not. even though they didn't like the food changes they have adjusted and even are saying how much better they feel. I just encourage you to not give up. Even if you slip up one day and go over just start over the next day. You can do it.
    I will send you a friend request and we can help each other stay on track. Here's to a healthier lifestyle!!!
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I have a total of 128 to lose and am just past the half way mark. I have lost some and gained some back in the past, I had a baby in the middle of it all.. so my journey has had some slips and stumbles, but I never fell completely. I am still 30 lbs from what my lowest achieved weight was since I started and still chugging along.

Feel free to add me if you would like.
  • Jseppp
    Options
    Thank you everyone!
    I've tried MFP before, but gave up quickly because I wasn't motivated and made up excuses.
    This time around, I'm not quitting!
    I started off this year by doing the Master Cleanse for 14 Days. Not to lose weight, but to cleanse my body and prepare it for a healthier way of eating! It definitely put me on the right track.
    The hardest part for me is pushing myself to actually work out after being at work for 10 hours each day.

I've really been watching what I've been eating, and to make sure it's good for me.

Yet, I still need that extra push to work out more!
    I'm one of those people that enjoys the company of others while going on walks, runs, or working out. My boyfriend works as a contractor, so he's doing physical labor for 12+ hours a day. So by the time he gets home, he just wants to relax... which in turn makes me want to join him. :|

I'm doing goals of 20 pounds each round, until it adds up to the 100 I want to lose.

I really want to stay motivated to be healthy again and reach my goals, which is why I've finally taken a stand to not make up any excuses.

Send all the friend requests possible! The more support, the better!
  • Jseppp
    Options
    I've been really good at not eating after 6 PM, and making sure I drink plenty of water. I tend to have moments of binge eating, and quite honestly, it's from being bored.

I feel so out of shape, but I have to remember that working out even a little, is better than not working out at all!
  • kali_athena
    kali_athena Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi! I think you will find you aren't alone eating emotionally. I always say that if I can't talk about my feelings, I want to yell about them. If I can't yell about them I will eat them! So for me talking is the only way to keep myself from that kind of eating. I've lost just a few pounds. Looking to lose 50.

Friend me if you like! I'm happy for all the support I can get and offer.
  • aSearch4Me
    aSearch4Me Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have a similar loss goal. I too am an emotional and/or bored-eater, so you are definitely not alone. Feel free to add me as a friend. This is my 2nd go-round with MFP, but this time I've actually added friends, read some message boards & what-not, and am finding it easier/more inspiring to achieve my daily goals (instead of just using it as a food/activity tracker). I'm down 10# in 3 weeks, and am pretty happy with that progress so far considering I haven't added the exercise component in yet.
  • Peanut_321
    Peanut_321 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hey there, Jsepp welcome to MFP! I would love to help you through your weight loss journey (okay it sounds cheesy I'm sorry!) I am a newly certified Water Aerobic Instructor and I have been swimming for years. I know a few tips and tricks that helped me throughout the years to maintain my weight.

You can send a friend request if you would like :).
  • yellowcupcakes
    yellowcupcakes Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm an emotional eater. I actually rotate between not wanting to eat for days and then eating all the things. It's hard for me to stay motivated since I don't have a decent support system and I used MFP for a while then gave it up and now I'm back.
  • Beci6046
    Options
    I hear you on the late night or after dinner snacking, I am the worst!
  • Jseppp
    Options
    I think my biggest motivator for my weight loss journey is to be able to look at myself in the mirror and feel good about the reflection staring back at me!

I'm really going to be giving it my all this time around! The more everyone supports each other, the better!
  • penpen45
    penpen45 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I have been using MYP on and off for a while. This time I have to stay ON. I have to for me AND my family. I need to show my girls what healthy is! I would love to be in the journey with all of you. I have between 80-100 pounds to lose. I will decide how I feel when I actually get there. I have lost 20 so need to keep going!! Feel free to add me. I just realized I don't even have a pic on my profile so first order of business is to get that done!
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    My birthday is Feb 1 and i have a pair of jeans hanging on my closet door that I wanted to wear that day. Needless to say they will still be hanging there! I am also an any time eater and I love the salty stuff but then I have to mix it with the sweet to balance my taste buds out!! lol So here I go again. So i feel you! I am always looking for more support people to help me along this journey. One thing that keeps me from being super super heavy is that I exercise on a regular basis so it balances as well. I am tired of balancing.
  • Krock83
    Krock83 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Make friends on MFP! I was on here logging for 150 days and I have to say that having the support from people has certainly helped me in keeping a positive attitude, especially when things don't go my way.
  • mz107
    mz107 Posts: 16
    Options
    I'm going to add you! There's no magic trick, but hopefully we can support each other :) Anyone else feel free to add me too!
  • misshaylynn
    misshaylynn Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm an emotional eater too, so I completely understand. It's a tough battle but we're in it together and CAN get through it! Feel free to add me :)
  • tmove2015
    tmove2015 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    YOu can do it! I was an emotional/bored/any reason eater too. It has been a journey but I know my life and happiness are worth it so I keep trying. If going cold turkey isn't your thing, it may be harder to stick to it. I suggest substituting a couple items at time, when you have craving eat it but do it in moderation. You your God given power and discipline! No turning Back! Stay Encouraged! Feel free to add me!
  • LandyBreigh
    LandyBreigh Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Welcome! It looks like it's all been said above from all the wonderful and supportive people on MFP. There really is no magic to it. I wish we could all wave a wand and poof! we werent' 'poofy' anymore. But, we have to work at it, every minute of every day.
    I am also an emotional eater from a big food eating family. I try not to cut anything out. If I want it, I 'trade' it. For instance, I really wanted sweet potato french fries last night, so I puposely took the cheese and croutons off my salad and didn't use a lot of dressing. I know the calories and fat don't equal the same in this instance, but it sure is a whole lot less than if I did eat all of it.
    Best of luck to you, this is a great place to get support and ideas.