Frustration

Options
Hey! I am getting frustrated. I have been at it hard for 2 weeks now. Logging all my food, not cheating on logging, working out 5 days a week 1-2 hour workouts that are a mix of cardio and strength training. I have only lost 3-5 lbs....it's teetering between them. Yesterday I was 218...today 220. I feel like last time I was this weight...I lost the weight way faster and it continually went down. I am doing much more strength training/weights this time around, but I feel like I have enough weight to lose where it should be shedding a bit quicker. My diary is open if anyone has advice, tips, or motivation? I also drink a lot of water, just don't log it. I am definitely not giving up but I am very frustrated.

Replies

• camerongroupj
    camerongroupj Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem and I log everything that goes into my face. The advice I was given was that weight loss is not linear... Have patience and it will come off. I get that, I just want everything off in a week! Ha ha!
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    2.5 lbs per week is quite high :) (it comes out to 10lbs a month or 120lbs a year - that is not something to sneeze at) And getting discouraged after two whole weeks is a little silly - this will take time. Be patient, have faith and don't quit.
  • chantwizzle83
    chantwizzle83 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I would say stressing about it is what's holding you back. Take measurements and progress pics too. That stupid scale can really bring you down. Add me if you need support. I log daily and want to lose about 60 lbs.
  • morethanthis0
    morethanthis0 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    All valid points. I just keep comparing myself to last year and it happened so much faster then. That's what I want now! lol
  • deedeeandboo
    Options
    It takes time. After 2 weeks, I could notice a difference, albeit small. In 4 weeks, my closest friends could tell that I was losing. In 8 weeks, it was apparent to others. Keep it up--the results will be noticeable soon!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    There are two reasons you might be comparing yourself to last year-- either you lost some, maintained, and now you're back to lose more or you lost some and gained it back. Either way there's a simple explanation for why things are slower this time. If it's the latter and you're lighter now than you were then, it's just a matter of not being to able to burn as much fat at a time because there's not as much fat to burn.

If you're in a pattern of yo-yoing you'll likely find that each time you try to lose it gets harder. The first time you sacrifice muscle by doing what you're doing now- impatience and trying to lose too much too fast. Then when the weight comes back it's almost all fat unless you're lifting weights and eating a lot of protein. When you try to lose again you can be the same weight but now your body fat percentage is higher than it was last time. That means your maintenance calories are lower and you'll look larger at a lighter weight as well (muscle takes up less space than fat).

Set yourself up with a reasonable deficit. Keep doing what you're doing to protect your muscle. Be patient and make sure it sticks.
  • TuffChixRule
    TuffChixRule Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    It took me three weeks for the scale to budge. Your body needs time to adjust to your new eating habits and exercising. I've "only" lost 13 pounds in two months but I noticed my clothes fitting better first before I saw the scale budge a pound. It will happen for you, and once it does the pounds will seem to melt away. Feel free to add me.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I've actually gained after starting a new rigorous workout program. Your muscles can retain water at first so be patient with it. It is annoying though when you work so hard and you don't see that scale go down. I also know that the TOM will add water weight to me every time.
  • morethanthis0
    Options
    There are two reasons you might be comparing yourself to last year-- either you lost some, maintained, and now you're back to lose more or you lost some and gained it back. Either way there's a simple explanation for why things are slower this time. If it's the latter and you're lighter now than you were then, it's just a matter of not being to able to burn as much fat at a time because there's not as much fat to burn.

If you're in a pattern of yo-yoing you'll likely find that each time you try to lose it gets harder. The first time you sacrifice muscle by doing what you're doing now- impatience and trying to lose too much too fast. Then when the weight comes back it's almost all fat unless you're lifting weights and eating a lot of protein. When you try to lose again you can be the same weight but now your body fat percentage is higher than it was last time. That means your maintenance calories are lower and you'll look larger at a lighter weight as well (muscle takes up less space than fat).

Set yourself up with a reasonable deficit. Keep doing what you're doing to protect your muscle. Be patient and make sure it sticks.

Yea last year I lost around 28 lbs, and in 7ish months I've gained back 23. Last year it just seemed to easily melt away with the work I was putting in. I feel like I am putting in more work and it's resisting me this time. Just gotta keep going, it'll happen eventually.
  • morethanthis0
    edited January 2015
    Options
    It takes time. After 2 weeks, I could notice a difference, albeit small. In 4 weeks, my closest friends could tell that I was losing. In 8 weeks, it was apparent to others. Keep it up--the results will be noticeable soon!

I've also noticed my work pants are a lot loser....but I haven't lost much and even my measurements haven't gone down by much. Maybe my body just isn't as bloated from all the junk foods?