Starting a workout routine....PLease HELP!!

Options
jodyedgar87
jodyedgar87 Posts: 42 Member
edited January 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I am finally starting the process of becoming a healthier person. I now have a gym membership and am quite proud of myself for the dedication I have been putting in so far. I go about 4 times a week(I have a 1 and 3 yr old, so for me, 4 days per week is a good start). Im a 26 yr old female and my starting weight was a horrible 267. Im down to 263.

As far as a workout routine. when i get to the gym I stretch. I then do about 30 minutes of cardio. I have been using the weight machines. But I don't have a routine necessarily. Are there any websites that give you a layout of which exercises to do and what days? I feel like I am getting a workout, especially the day after! I just want my time to be as beneficial as possible.
Any help would be great, Thanks

Replies

• zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts is a perfect way to start: http://stronglifts.com
  • flysandy
    flysandy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Are there trainers at your gym? Most places are happy to give you an orientation and help you configure a workout for your fitness level and goals.

A couple of notes from what I've learned... It's been determined that the time to stretch is after your workout rather than the long standing belief of before (this was new to me too!). You'll warm up on the first 5 min of cardio. Watch your heart rate...you don't need to exceed the fat burning/cardio rate. I alternate between upper and lower body workouts. Keep breathing and ease back when lowering weights. For example when I do chest presses...I exhale on the push, and inhale on a count to 3 or 4 when going back.

Keep at it!
  • jodyedgar87
    jodyedgar87 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    There are trainers there. I know it sounds stupid...but at this point I am to embarrassed of my weight to ask for help. I don't want to bring any attention to myself. I know thats what they are there for, its more of a personal issue. Thanks for the imput!
  • lisajsund
    lisajsund Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    jmedgar - you won't be bringing attention to yourself by asking a trainer for help. They don't announce it over the speakers or anything. :wink: They are only there for the members. Without members, they wouldn't have jobs. You can always try a group fitness class too. They are fun and you get to know people around you at the same time. Hang in there - and congrats on your initial successes!