Squat Rack Etiquette

Options
1235»

Replies

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Obeg wrote: »
    Although this isn't my top OHP, it's only about 40lbs shy of it. If I can't get the OHP up, it goes back to the starting position on my shoulders again. Then I just set it back down. Since my technique isn't the greatest, the OHP number isn't too much to handle.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l13CvSuO9K4&x-yt-cl=84838260&x-yt-ts=1422327029

Ha - someone doing pushups in the rack in the background.

Yeah I never saw them before. 2015 new members or something. That is actually a decent smith machine though. It's a dual axis version. The camera is taking a pic through the one free weight squat rack we have.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Gym I go to has a cage and a squat rack. I was switching from squat to OHP in the cage few nights ago since no one was around waiting and had a guy ask if I was done. He was in the rack, so I said I didn't mind switching cause I could do the press in the rack instead. He declined and said he was just going to do some curls. I stared for a second, uncertain that actually happened. The girl he was with brought over one of the lighter weight fixed bars and then... they left. Did not see one curl. :neutral_face:

No idea what happened there.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Although this isn't my top OHP, it's only about 40lbs shy of it. If I can't get the OHP up, it goes back to the starting position on my shoulders again. Then I just set it back down. Since my technique isn't the greatest, the OHP number isn't too much to handle.

Pushups in the squat rack?

Curlers in the squat rack?

That's why I don't go to the Y anymore.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    DavPul wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    I’ve never actually seen anyone curl in the squat rack.

come to my gym.

you can watch me curl in the rack. all the damn time. and everybody that complains can go straight to hell. ain't nobody waiting on the rack, it's convenient, and if somebody comes up to use it, they can wait the entire 8 minutes it takes me to do 5 sets of curls. ain't nobody dying in 8 minutes. whiny babies.

You mean convenient in that you do not have to deadlift the weight up first?

yes, among other things. everything can be done quickly and easily. pick it up, start the set, change the weights, set it down. you know, everything that racks make easier.

here's me, curling in the rack. SOOOO many people were inconvenienced that day it's a miracle i'm not in jail.

aifrpythokzb.jpg

i'm even wearing gloves!!! what a weak pansy poseur i am

LOL, he's curling more weight than what I see most guys correctly squat anyway.

You work out a planet fitness?
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

you have a problem with that too? it's nice to be able to use the rack for pushups because you can make them progressive. that lady probably can't do full floor pushups and knee pushups suck. so she can use the rails in the rack, then lower them every week or every other week or so as she gets stronger. that way she progresses from being told all thru high school that women are too weak to do pushups and being told to do "girlie pushups" to being able to do full pushups.

but OH LAWD, someone might have to wait 10 minutes to get to the rack. OH NOES. heaven forbid people use the strength training equipment in a gym to.....gain strength in the area they feel they need to gain strength. SOMEBODY START A THREAD!

to be clear, people can do whatever they want, whenever they want as far as i'm concerned. you want the equipment, then get up earlier or wait your turn. i'm waiting to bench and you're using it for box jumps, go ahead and handle your business because what i want to do is not more important than what you want to do.

that said, to address the actual OP, using several different stations to circuit train in a busy gym is no go for me. you can use one station for whatever you want, but you don't get five

squatting-in-the-curl-rack.jpg?w=593
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options

You work out a planet fitness?

Haha, no I would get kicked out of there for sure.