Motivating Family

Options
MrTolerable
MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
edited January 2015 in Motivation and Support
Not getting detailed at all because I love 'em to death and don't want to cause embarrassment- but any suggestions on how to motivate your family to stick to the fit lifestyle and diet?

Goals are set and they are not met because individuals loose their motivation or don't want it enough - how do you remind them of where they should be at health wise?

Replies

• Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Lead by example. Invite them to join you when you are doing something active. If you are cooking for them, make sure its healthy and that everyone gets served a sensible portion - then put the leftovers away so they can't go back for seconds. Remind them of the awesome things that you are all going to do when the weather warms up and how much better it will be if you are all fit and healthy.

Don't bother nagging or teasing - it doesn't work. Most people just dig in their heels due to pride, stubborness and embarrassment.
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Codilee87 wrote: »

Don't bother nagging or teasing - it doesn't work. Most people just dig in their heels due to pride, stubborness and embarrassment.
    Certainly don't nag or tease, that would prob lead to resentment.

No I think their poor health is actually effecting their mental state - soft depression maybe..

IDK its easy for me to get friends motivated to go out and knock out a few miles on a trail with me, but family - its much more difficult.
  • Papatoad194
    Papatoad194 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Example, I have been at it back and forth for a year half hearted, because I wanted them on board. That is the challenge. This last December I told them what i was doing. It is still a little rocky. If I don't I subject myself to be unhealthy. They do not have to go workout with me or do yoga or eat what I do. Yet more and more they tend to stick with me. I am sure as I am on the road they are whooping it up with big snacks. I could care less. I focus on myself. It only took a couple of years to come to that conclusion :) I can only make me the best person I can be. It seems to make a big difference. Good luck, if you want you can add me. it wasn't easier getting here.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Being the example is really the only way. I can sometimes get my family out for walks and we usually have very enlightening talks when we do. Instead of a few miles, maybe get them out for a short 1/2 mile just to talk and maybe learn more about their mental state and what is holding them back from doing more.
  • MeOnlyBetterX60
    MeOnlyBetterX60 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    What to do when spouse is the cook and grocery shopper. It's very insulting to him if I eat something else. I've asked for healthier meals but it's not a priority for him so after a week it's back to hotdogs and pulled pork. He hates when I cook. I'm out of ideas.