But, what if I don't want to lift?

Options

Replies

• jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    Worse case just don't lift and don't be as fit as possible

Sorry but this makes me laugh. It really depends on what you define as "fit". There is zero reason to lift weights if you don't want to. You can be amazingly "fit" without weights.

Maybe my econ degree is kicking in remembering opportunity cost - she is loosing potential gains by skipping HIIT and lifting - the idea that you can walk and loose weight is asinine. - no offense.

It is like the newbies I see at the gym that are like 50 lbs over weight walking on a treadmill for an hour and burn like 80 calories as they are throwing back a 100 calorie Gatorade full of sugar thinking they did some great workout and will be in shape in a few weeks.. its totally bonkers

When I first lost weight, I walked 2 hours a day and ate at a calorie deficit. I lost 15 pounds that way, I went on to add harder things and lost 10 more. And then I ate at a calorie surplus and gained it all back, hence, why I'm here on MFP, but walking is a good form of exercise for some.
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I guess that depends on your goal. If I wasted time lifting weights I certainly wouldn't get to where I want to be.

I see your point - but with OPs goals LOL! she has to lift weights!

Just research it, if you are trying too loose fat you got to lift the heavy stuff - believe me cardio is great, HIIT is WAYY better though even there.. I mean cardio at the gym is such a b!tch.. wait till the summer when it is nice out. and you can knock out four miles on a trail rather then a sweaty smelling, boring gym.

• jdhcm2006
    Options
    OP, stick to bodyweight exercises. You may need to rotate your workout dvds so you don't get bored. But bodyweight exercises are a great way to build muscles. You won't build strength as quickly as doing weightlifting, but you will gain strength.

I purchased a suspension trainer to help with my bodyweight workouts and I completely love it.
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »

Sorry but this makes me laugh. It really depends on what you define as "fit". There is zero reason to lift weights if you don't want to. You can be amazingly "fit" without weights.

Maybe my econ degree is kicking in remembering opportunity cost - she is loosing potential gains by skipping HIIT and lifting - the idea that you can walk and loose weight is asinine. - no offense.

It is like the newbies I see at the gym that are like 50 lbs over weight walking on a treadmill for an hour and burn like 80 calories as they are throwing back a 100 calorie Gatorade full of sugar thinking they did some great workout and will be in shape in a few weeks.. its totally bonkers

When I first lost weight, I walked 2 hours a day and ate at a calorie deficit. I lost 15 pounds that way, I went on to add harder things and lost 10 more. And then I ate at a calorie surplus and gained it all back, hence, why I'm here on MFP, but walking is a good form of exercise for some.

Ok, she is busy with kids.. I'm saying she can do HIIT for 15 mins and burn WAAYYY more than 2 hours of walking!!

:Frustrated:
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options

Four kids at 27? Dang, you've been busy.

You don't say!

lolz :sunglasses:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    body composition is 90% diet.

don't lift weights if you don't want to, but you have to stay at your calorie goal and eat mostly healthy foods
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    smh - talk about wasting time - you can hit goals a whole lot faster by lifting - period. No question asked, maybe not loose weight but def a reduction in that nasty body fat %.

Sure you are right it is more than just walking, but discounting strength training is totally nuts - it is way more important than cardio. The only thing more important is prob sleep and diet.

That really depends on your goals. If the goal is to burn more calories, probably not. According to a chart on the Harvard University website (http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Calories-burned-in-30-minutes-of-leisure-and-routine-activities.htm, lifting weights burns the same number of calories as ballet dancing. But bicycling (even on a stationary bike) can burn 1.75 times as much. Now, if your goal is big biceps, bicycling isn't going to do much for you and I can see where weight lifting would get you to your goal faster.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Ok, she is busy with kids.. I'm saying she can do HIIT for 15 mins and burn WAAYYY more than 2 hours of walking!!

Don't let it get to you. I'm unclicking the star on this thread.

You can certainly lose weight and maintain a little muscle by doing cardio. For what the OP says are her goals she needs to lift weights. She'll realize at some point she'd have been better off lifting from the start but that's neither your problem nor mine, it's hers.

As far as the whole elliptical or treadmill vs. weight lifting thing? OMG, I can't imagine anyone thinking that spending hours as a cardio hamster is less boring than lifting. I run. I run quite a bit. Give me the open road and I'll happily run 13.1 miles but more than a half mile on the treadmill and I'd rather open a wrist. It's sweaty and it's mind numbing even with a TV or music.

On the other hand, I lift twice per week for about an hour with a partner. For rest periods between sets we trade off and the other person lifts. We also spend time setting things up chatting about either the lifting itself or anything else. It's not boring at all.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    smh - talk about wasting time - you can hit goals a whole lot faster by lifting - period. No question asked, maybe not loose weight but def a reduction in that nasty body fat %.

Sure you are right it is more than just walking, but discounting strength training is totally nuts - it is way more important than cardio. The only thing more important is prob sleep and diet.

That really depends on your goals. If the goal is to burn more calories, probably not. According to a chart on the Harvard University website (http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Calories-burned-in-30-minutes-of-leisure-and-routine-activities.htm, lifting weights burns the same number of calories as ballet dancing. But bicycling (even on a stationary bike) can burn 1.75 times as much. Now, if your goal is big biceps, bicycling isn't going to do much for you and I can see where weight lifting would get you to your goal faster.

yeah_science_breaking_bad.gif
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    As far as the whole elliptical or treadmill vs. weight lifting thing? OMG, I can't imagine anyone thinking that spending hours as a cardio hamster is less boring than lifting. I run. I run quite a bit. Give me the open road and I'll happily run 13.1 miles but more than a half mile on the treadmill and I'd rather open a wrist. It's sweaty and it's mind numbing even with a TV or music.

Would I rather run or ride outside? You bet. But goals don't wait for nice weather. Therefore I get the work done inside on my treadmill or bike trainer. Boredom doesn't cross my mind. The work has to get done, therefore the work gets done.

• jdhcm2006
    edited January 2015
    Options

I know her life doesn't allow for that amount of walking at once, I'm just saying don't write off the benefits of walking.

Now, I definitely don't have that type of time (I was in college when I did that), I can commit 30-45 minutes to most workouts, and then I need to get on with life. So I do agree that HIIT or something that's higher impact would be better for her.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I'm a firm believer in finding some sort of exercise or activity you enjoy, and doing that. Maybe it's running, or yoga, or a sport, or lifting weights, or all of the above or none of the above. Everyone enjoys different things. But you have to love doing it -- not just the results, but the actual working out part -- or else you'll never be able to stick with it.

Will you achieve a weightlifter's body without lifting weights? Probably not. Do you care? Most people don't. Remember that, to achieve certain really low levels of body fat and muscle definition, it's hard work. It's a lifestyle. It involves a lot of sacrifice.

None of that is really necessary for health goals. So it's up to you just how much you want to do and how far you want to push it. Some people love lifting weights and the lifestyle that goes with it; others would rather gnaw their arm off.

There aren't any rules. Only you can choose your goals and only you decide what you're willing to sacrifice or put in to achieve them.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options

Absolutely agree with this. Cyclists and swimmers who don't weight train are very good examples.
  • AmberStarr_87
    AmberStarr_87 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Maybe tone was the wrong word then.. I don't want a weightlifters body. I want to be thinner, leaner, healthier & comfortable. I do not by any means, want muscle definition in my arms, legs, or stomach. Yoga body, not hard body? Idk how to explain a body type.. the idea of looking light a weightlifter actually frightens me!
  • jeanmariemcp
    jeanmariemcp Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm betting that most of those who lift weights wouldn't be able to hold their own body weight as well as you do in your yoga practice. You lift. It's just yourself you're lifting.
  • jdhcm2006
    Options
    OP, look into You Are Your Own Gym.

You don't have to lift, but you do need some form of strength training incorporated into your routine.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »

Would I rather run or ride outside? You bet. But goals don't wait for nice weather. Therefore I get the work done inside on my treadmill or bike trainer. Boredom doesn't cross my mind. The work has to get done, therefore the work gets done.

idk man, i got a bike trainer in november, and let me tell you, i don't know if i'll ever ride my bike outdoors again!! no people and cars to avoid, no potholes, dogs. no junk miles wasted getting to the proper bike path.

the treadmill still sucks but i did what i had to inside because of yesterdays "blizzard."
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I do yoga and spin. That is enough for me. I am not going out for Ms. Universe, or a six pack.

That being said, I do have a kettlebell at home I play with after a bad day at work. After this one meeting, I did snatches and felt much better than having a few glasses of wine.
  • MLLeFever
    MLLeFever Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I find cardio a good time to sort out my thoughts and be left alone. There are less people there (in my gym) and I'm less likely to be in the way of someone else's routine. It also feels good to me.

In my head there is less pressure, which makes it more enjoyable to wake up and go to the gym 5 days a week. With weight lifting, I'm constantly anxious about what I'm doing, who's around me, and what my next task is. It feels like a chore and is boring to me. For now.

I like that I can increase the resistance and incline and watching the levels increase every week.
  • jdhcm2006
    Options
    I'm betting that most of those who lift weights wouldn't be able to hold their own body weight as well as you do in your yoga practice. You lift. It's just yourself you're lifting.

Bodyweight training is a powerful tool.