HELP!! always under calories, but not hungry :-(

Options
When i complete my daily log, im under the calories, what extra can i eat?

Replies

• grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    How far under? What is your goal and what is your deficit? What are you eating now?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    anything that fits in your calories. Ice cream, peanut butter, chocolate, wine...
  • Victoriamrs
    Victoriamrs Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hey Julie just tried to look at your food diary to see what you are eating so I can maybe give you some tips but I can't view it.

If I am trying to increase my calorie intake I sometimes would have a bowl of homemade veggie soup, a two egg plain omelette you could add peppers or mushrooms to bulk it up, hummus with raw veggies, small portion of nuts such as brazil, almonds or cashews (sometimes mixed with dried fruits), or fresh natural yogurt with fresh fruit such as blueberries, raspberries, a banana if I don't have fresh fruit I used tinned in natural juice such as peaches.

Hope that helps, if you need support and encouragement please feel free to add me.

Good luck! :)
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    How's your mental health? Depression and anxiety can impact your appetite causing you to not feel hungry.
  • dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Nuts if you need extra protein.
  • BeTheChange352
    BeTheChange352 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    whatever you want. I doubt you're that inexperienced with eating.
  • jungefrau
    jungefrau Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    some people don't have the same hunger problems as others. I can go 5-10 hours without food and feel fine.

When I first started MFP I was anal about eating every 3-4 hours, having small meals, etc., and it literally made me sick to my stomach to eat so often regardless of the food I took in. I am 5 7 and have never weighed over 160 pds and am 148 now. If I am not hungry (which I gauge by asking myself, do I want cookies or broccoli?) I don't eat. My calorie goal when I started was 1500 and I just couldnt make it. Then I lowered it to 1400 and now am at 1250 and even then some days I am below that. I also walk several miles a day, so I have a large calorie deficit at the end and yet here I am 48 and healthy and in very good shape. We act like fitness and diet is math but it's not; it's more complicated than that.

To make a long story short, don't worry about your calorie deficit. You'll survive!
  • AudreyLitLover
    AudreyLitLover Posts: 2
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hi juliemc, I'm glad you asked this, bc I'm having the same problem. Some days I don't feel any hungrier at around 1000 cals. (In fact I get that little warning that I'm not eating enough if I don't reach 1000 cals and I still get a warning, but with my estimated 5 week weight, if I'm less than 1200 cals.) The approach I've been taking is that if I'm not hungry, I'm not going to force myself to eat. I don't have a mental health issue, I'm healthy, etc so I see no logic in forcing myself. (Because really isn't overeating the reason I was unhappy with myself in the first place?) If I do feel like having something, then I'll either have another helping of dinner or have a dessert. Sometimes I'll let this be a reason to relax at an upcoming social meal. Sorta like using the 80/20 rule...

Hope this helps. I'm sure plenty of people will disagree with me, but it's just how I feel most comfortable handling this situation.
  • juliemc59 wrote: »
    When i complete my daily log, im under the calories, what extra can i eat?

Same problem here! I'm only eating about 700-800 calories a day- I'm going to start adding more protein, I surely don't want to add more carbs!
  • juliemc59
    juliemc59 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanx guys, im really glad i asked the question. I didnt think there would be much response, but its all positive. I have been diagnosed with anxiety a few years ago, but before starting MFP i was opposite, eating loads, but always bad stuff!! chocolate, crisps, pizzas.....x
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    This is a generic list and doesn't account for your personal needs, but anything here can be included in a balanced diet (as long as there are no allergies, medical conditions, obviously):
    avocado
    cheese
    full fat dairy
    Greek yogurt
    ice cream
    peanut butter (or other nut butters)
    dark chocolate
    less lean cuts of meat (including beef, pork, sausage, etc.)
    seeds (chia, flax, sunflower, etc.)
    nuts
    olive oil
    coconut oil
    butter
    beans and lentils
    protein shakes, bars, and smoothies
    hummus
    beef jerky
    cornbread
    tuna
    full calorie condiments
    full calorie sauces & dressings
    sour cream
    guacamole
    whole grain pasta
    rice
    bacon
    whole eggs
    quinoa
    fruit and fruit juices
    pretzels
    bananas
    scones
    muffins (bran, blueberry, banana nut, etc.)
    potatoes (sweet, red, gold, purple, white, etc.)
    granola
    coconut
    salmon
    edamame
    honey
    molasses
  • juliemc59
    juliemc59 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    OH MY GOODNESS!!! Thank u thank u thank u! diannethegeek :-) i absolutely love most of the list! Didn't think it would be any good for me. :-)