Measuring Foods!

Options
vasemenov
vasemenov Posts: 7
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I will be having Atlantic Salmon for dinner today, do I measure it raw or when fully done?

Cheers,

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Neither - don't measure solid food.

Weigh it raw, and use a raw entry from the database.
  • vasemenov
    Options
    Sorry I meant weighing it. How about when it comes to grains? e. g. Buckwheat? I weigh it when it's done I would assume?

Another question, the nutrition labels are measured in raw food or when prepared?

Thanks!
  • Arliah
    Arliah Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    It usually says on the nutrition label (e.g. "1oz of rice, uncooked"). I usually go by that.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Most nutrition labels will be for the product as it is in the package. That is, raw. Some may give 2 sets of nutrition data, with the 2nd being 'as prepared'. Say you have a box of macaroni & cheese that calls for 2 tablespoons of margarine and 1/4 cup 2% milk. The 'as prepared' column would factor these things in.

For grains that you cook by adding water: I'd weigh raw. The final weight will be more or less depending on how you cook it. Perhaps you like your hot cereal thicker than I do. Mine would weigh more but if the difference is in water weight and the same weight of buckwheat is used, then they'll be the same calorie count.

For when I make dishes greater than 1 serving: I log the food as uncooked weight. I then find the weight of the finished product. Say its 1000g and then I take the weight of my finished portion. Say I take out 150g for my serving. So my total is 150g/1000g or 15% of the whole dish.
  • vasemenov
    Options
    Got it, Thanks guys!
  • geri1geraldinesuzanne
    Options
    I'd weigh it raw.
  • vasemenov
    Options
    I'm stuck here. I weighed 183g of raw buckwheat, added 1 cup of water. I baked it in a ceramic pot in the oven. When It was done I gave myself a portion of 200g, it came out to be 2 cups. How do I calculate the calories and nutrients from the 200g. How do I calculate the difference of the water I put in?

314b8owclgs9.jpg
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Water has no calories

183g raw buckwheat = how much cooked?
  • vasemenov
    Options
    All of it.
  • vasemenov
    Options
    I think I got this.

Total Raw Food: 183g
    Total Cooked Food: 542g
    Total Amount Ate: 200g
    Total Amount Ate % (Cooked): 37%
    37% of 183g = 67.7g of Raw Buckwheat I Ate
  • vasemenov
    Options
    According to the nutrition label I ate 218 calories.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    vasemenov wrote: »
    I think I got this.

Total Raw Food: 183g
    Total Cooked Food: 542g
    Total Amount Ate: 200g
    Total Amount Ate % (Cooked): 37%
    37% of 183g = 67.7g of Raw Buckwheat I Ate
    Exactly this. Great job figuring it out!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I weigh my meat raw.