Vegan lifestyle

Options
any tips?

Replies

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Check out the happy herbivore group. Lots of good information there.
  • LaineyVAhimsa
    LaineyVAhimsa Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for nearly 7 months, I've lost about 9lbs, not been the healthiest vegan ... Hopefully I can change that with mfp help ;)
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are doing it for the right reasons (ie. not weight loss).
  • LaineyVAhimsa
    Options
    Who? Me? ....
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Who? Me? ....

No. She asked for tips. That would be a tip.

Going vegan is a huge commitment. People start threads about going vegan to lose weight all the time, which is the WRONG reason to go vegan.
  • LaineyVAhimsa
    Options
    Ahh yes, sadly that's true, but the way I see it, is even if they only go vegan for weight loss, the more they learn about veganism will hopefully shift there perspective on being vegan :)
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    any tips?

Don't eat anamals or anamal products.
  • FunSkittles
    FunSkittles Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Camo_xxx wrote: »
    any tips?

Don't eat anamals or anamal products.

This made me giggle :blush:

• FunSkittles
    FunSkittles Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    grimendale wrote: »
    Check out the happy herbivore group. Lots of good information there.
    Is that a group on mvp?
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    check out the veganrd.com He is a registered dietician and 20 year vegan.
  • dragonmaster69
    dragonmaster69 Posts: 131 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »

Going vegan is a huge commitment. People start threads about going vegan to lose weight all the time, which is the WRONG reason to go vegan.

When I became a pescetarian I actually gained weight because I stuck to eating nothing but junk food. I was also 13 or 14 years old and had no clue what I was doing except avoiding poultry, pork, and beef. I am hoping to phase out of eating seafood soon... for no reason other than the fact that it bothers me so much that it was once a living being and I am eating it for my own consumption and I let it be killed in a mass execution- which I had no technical part of.
  • Linvala
    Linvala Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Do lots of research to make sure you get all the nutrition you need. Stock up on some vegan staples and some really good sites are
    Findingvegan.com
    Chocolatecoveredkatie.com
    Forks over bean
    Foodgawker.com

I'm vegetarian at the moment and on my way to being vegan
  • LaineyVAhimsa
    Options
    You have to do a bit of research. Don't want you getting poorly. B12 is a big issue with vegans, nutritional yeast with b12 is great for that. Also if you eat iron rich food make sure you have vitamin c at the same time to help absorption. Plant sourced iron won't absorb without vitamin c. Eat alot of different fruits, veggies and whole grains. Steer clear of processed vegan food or at least limit it and drink water. You should lose weight. Tofu is a complete protein source BTW. Lentils are good protein and low cals :)
  • E_Ashton
    E_Ashton Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Well I started a vegan diet for Veganuary and I'm loving it! It's not as hard as you would assume and I originally started the diet to kick start my health and the way I look at food but also because I love trying new things and challenges. I have learnt so much about Veganism and the way animals are treated and so although I do not wish to be a stict vegan in February and so forth, I wish to mainly stick to these guidelines (just maybe having cheese once a week!) - still cutting out milk, meat and honey)
    - I have noticed how much I have been lacking in fruit and veg these past few years and contrary to all the other people trying to lose weight I think if you're vegan you can eat as many carbs as you want and it won't affect you as much as a meat eater - or that's what I've seen anyway!
    - Also definitely carry water bottles round with you! - lifesaver!
    - And you must try Linda McCartney's vegan food! The sausages are amazing!
    - Lastly you'll go through a detox period when starting the new lifestyle but don't give up!!!