Not fat, just unfit - Help?

Options
Okay, so after some convincing I've decided I'm probably never getting down to 114 - borderline healthy BMI for a 20 year old at 5'6". I need to be realistic and being that weight isn't healthy for me. But, I still want to be toned and lose some fat, maybe 5 pounds of fat so that I'm 125. I realize I don't have loads of fat or anything, but I don't have pronounced abs. So, I basically want to lose a pound or two of belly fat and then gain muscle all over. My problem is that I don't really know how. I do loads of exercise since I'm a long distance runner (4+ miles usually) but it seems like running isn't getting me anywhere and neither is 8 minute abs. I do strength training with free weights and also do cross training with the elliptical. I generally work out 3-4x a week at the gym. So, why am I still not buff? I eat fish sometimes but do I need to get all intense and have the protein shakes and whatnot?

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I didn't have pronounced abs at 112lbs with 12 hours of rowing per week, 2 hours of heavy weight training a week, and a body fat % of 14, sorry to say. I get the impression you have to have a very low body fat % as a woman before your abs start to show. Well, I must, anyway.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    You need to start weight training. And not little girly 5 lb. dumbbells either.
    Weight. Heavy weight.

Get yourself a ten and a 15 pound kettlebell, some resistance bands that are adjustable, and some heavier dumbbells, like 10s, 12s, and 15s for now.

Develop a routine that incorporates these along with bodyweight exercises such as squats, pushups and lunges.

Lowering your body fat percentage is as easy as increasing your muscle percentage! If you add muscle you will lose fat since muscle burns fat at rest.

My example. I got down to 103 (at 5'2") and was still unhappy. I started lifting. Now I am 107 (4 pounds MORE) but look way better, same pants are looser, and I AM happy.
  • Xenzu
    Xenzu Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I agree... to see definition requires tone muscle mass and a low body fat %. What is your current %?
  • clhiter
    clhiter Posts: 74
    Options
    hey there
    you are fit, just a little fat that is hanging out in the wrong places :ohwell:

alternating crnches and full body may help with that.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    seeing abs is a function first and foremost of low body fat, around 10% usually, beyond that myotatic crunches, roll outs and the like will improve the look of your abs and make your midsection tighter. I am currently at 15% body fat and I can only see my top 4 abs, to develop a 6 pack I need to shed more fat to get down to 10%. The ideal body weight for you will be a far cry from a bmi measurement and that is a useless means of determining health, I am living proof of that. At 5ft8 and 166.2 lbs I am at the bottom of the overweight category. BMI is as worthless as the paper it is written on in my opinion as it takes nothing into account for body fat % which is the true measure of how lean you are. You can also have a low bodyfat and not be healthy. Many do not realize what it takes to look like that bodybuilder or that model ideal that is propagated by society and for women that 10% range is not a healthy range and has nothing to do with your overall health. True that being leaner is better than being overweight but to hit that definition of the bodybuilder (4-6% bodyfat) or that model (usually 10-11%) is not healthy nor should it be maintained for long periods. Just how lean you should be is more of a choice but it should not come at the expense of being healthy.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Being female, it isn't that healthy to have a low body fat%. It is generally considered that women need min 13 - 17% body fat for essential bodily function (men are much lower - more like 3% absolute minimum). It is common to stop menstruating once your body fat % is lower than about 17%. The optimal range in women in their 20s is 20-30%
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Being female, it isn't that healthy to have a low body fat%. It is generally considered that women need min 13 - 17% body fat for essential bodily function (men are much lower - more like 3% absolute minimum). It is common to stop menstruating once your body fat % is lower than about 17%. The optimal range in women in their 20s is 20-30%
    this is why I said that it was unhealthy for women to try and hold that "skinny" abs showing model as the ideal, sure it looks nice but it is not necessarily healthy.
  • vaguelovememos
    Options
    Have no clue as to what my body fat % is. :/ Need to find a way to figure it out.