Dukan Diet

Options
Has anyone tried this? 2 of my friends are on it and they have lost 15 + pounds in a month..Is it a good diet or should i stay away from it??

Replies

• crystal10584
    crystal10584 Posts: 334
    Options
    stay away

they're calling it a crappy french version of Atkins.

if you want something like it but with proven results, do atkins.
  • crystal10584
    crystal10584 Posts: 334
    Options
    besides, losing weight that fast (unless morbidly obese) is not healthy.
  • caschw
    caschw Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Dr Oz had 3 docs on reviewing this on his show. Not good reviews. One was totally against it and called it unhealthy. I have a friend I shared the 17day diet with and she has lost 24lbs. since Feb. I have not done as well but did lose on it. Feel good on it too.
  • Leslie2273
    Leslie2273 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I looked into it and was sure but I have been trying to eat more protein and less carbs. My biggest concern is what happend when you add the carbs back. Please let us know if you try it.

~Leslie
  • mgreen10
    mgreen10 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I would not do something that restritive, i like some muscle to stay on my body. Anything where you lose weight so fast, you know you are losing muscle too
  • georgiagorwell
    Options
    There is absolutely no science behind this diet.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
  • Charli666
    Charli666 Posts: 407
    Options
    Ok, so i have an awful lot of weight to lose, but i've lost 51lbs in 90 days, i think that tops the 15lbs a month average, and i've done it by....... Healthy eating, balancing my nutritional values, and exercising.

All these 'fast fix' diets are called fads for a reason...
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Fad diets aren't good long term. They don't teach you anything about portion control and healthy choices. In order to succeed at being healthy for duration of your life you need to have a solid foundation to build upon.
  • vauleese
    vauleese Posts: 75
    Options
    Doc on Dr Oz said your not supposed to loose more then 1lb a day and gave this diet a 1 because he couldnt go any lower. One thing I have to note is this...when you start eatting healthy your body will NOT react well to injesting crap like chips and cookies. I'm just going to increase my protien and fiber intake and lower my bad carbs. I would not follow this diet however.
  • BastaConLaPasta
    Options
    I've been on Dukan, loosely, since November. fantastic results.
  • mom2threeQTs
    mom2threeQTs Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I wonder what people who follow the Dukan diet hope to achieve. Is it *just* rapid weight-loss, or rapid weight-loss that they would like to keep off permanently? I think restricting carbs and eating only certain foods works well for quick weight loss, but if one hopes to not gain it all back, then a healthier-eating route is the only way to go.

I have been on the Dr. Bernstein's diet years ago, and yeah, I lost weight very quickly, but I also gained it all back plus some more once I started eating regular food again. I would never be able to eat that very-restrictive way again. This time, I told myself that I can have *anything* I want, as long as my daily calories stay within my limits. In the beginning, I would have soup because I endulged on a high-calorie chocolate bar... but as time went on, I started eating more fibre, less sodium, more protein, lots of veggies, and guess what?? I can *still* have my daily ice cream, or whatever treat I desire. I no longer need to eat 2 lbs of chocolate, and am satisfied with a real serving. The best part is, this is something I can do forever, so I don't have to worry about gaining it all back!
  • BastaConLaPasta
    Options
    Dukan allows you to eat carbs and all other 'normal' foods once you have reached your goal ... the pure protein phase and the alternating PP/ P+veg stages only last until you reach your goal weight ... then you reintroduce all other foods with the caveat that you revert to pure protein one day per week for the rest of your life ...
  • krueandliz
    krueandliz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. Most people are on the assumption that just eat meat until you lose all your weight and then go back to how you were before. they mistake the "attack" phase for the whole diet. I am trying this strictly out of curiosity because I did the Atkins diet several years ago. I find that cutting out all the fat that you were allowed to eat on the Atkin's diet makes a difference for me. I feel better and I am losing weight. I do not feel deprived, or tired. I did on the Atkin's diet. I am finding it an interesting experiment. I plan on doing the next phase as well.
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Ok, so i have an awful lot of weight to lose, but i've lost 51lbs in 90 days, i think that tops the 15lbs a month average, and i've done it by....... Healthy eating, balancing my nutritional values, and exercising.

Good job! That is the way to do it! Then you know HOW to eat for the rest of your life! Healthy, realistic calorie counting & exercise...
  • Yemaya1129
    Yemaya1129 Posts: 75
    Options
    I though about trying it, but it got a bad review on Web MD:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/dukan-diet-review

The registered dietician I'm working with wasn't a fan either.
  • aliblain
    aliblain Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I just started this last week- I don't have a whole lot of weight to lose (about 10 pounds) and I have been stuck around the same weight for months despite calorie counting and half marathon training. I lost almost 4 pounds in the attack phase (I did it for 2 days) and it looks like I'm set to lose a pound every couple of days now. I'm going to put the cat among the pigeons here and say that I think the diet makes a lot of sense (I'm a research scientist by profession) although it requires fairly long term discipline in that you can't go mad as soon as you've reached your ideal weight. I have always suffered from dizziness between meals (even when not on a diet) and ravenous hunger every 3 hours or so. I have to say that I have not felt dizzy at all this week and I've not been hungry either. I'm keeping tabs of my calories (although you don't have to on this diet) and I'm struggling to reach 1200 calories a day- I would usually feel quite weak sub-1200 calories. I don't think the diet is particularly unhealthy as vegetables are only banned from the attack phase which is fairly short. I've just eaten a king prawn stir fry with green pepper, onion, a little lime juice and soy sauce- really nice.
    I wondered how I would manage to run on no carbs but I ran 10k yesterday before breakfast and I had none of the usual light headedness I get if I exercise before breakfast! I've been doing a bit of research on low carb for endurance sports and there's some really interesting stuff out there to suggest that it might not be as daft as it sounds.
    Anyway, in summary- going pretty well so far, although early days. A diet that needs fairly long term willpower and not for people who like their alcohol on the weekend!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

Amen sistah!! Great job!!
  • flyingpiglet
    Options
    I just started this last week- I don't have a whole lot of weight to lose (about 10 pounds) and I have been stuck around the same weight for months despite calorie counting and half marathon training. I lost almost 4 pounds in the attack phase (I did it for 2 days) and it looks like I'm set to lose a pound every couple of days now. I'm going to put the cat among the pigeons here and say that I think the diet makes a lot of sense (I'm a research scientist by profession) although it requires fairly long term discipline in that you can't go mad as soon as you've reached your ideal weight. I have always suffered from dizziness between meals (even when not on a diet) and ravenous hunger every 3 hours or so. I have to say that I have not felt dizzy at all this week and I've not been hungry either. I'm keeping tabs of my calories (although you don't have to on this diet) and I'm struggling to reach 1200 calories a day- I would usually feel quite weak sub-1200 calories. I don't think the diet is particularly unhealthy as vegetables are only banned from the attack phase which is fairly short. I've just eaten a king prawn stir fry with green pepper, onion, a little lime juice and soy sauce- really nice.
    I wondered how I would manage to run on no carbs but I ran 10k yesterday before breakfast and I had none of the usual light headedness I get if I exercise before breakfast! I've been doing a bit of research on low carb for endurance sports and there's some really interesting stuff out there to suggest that it might not be as daft as it sounds.
    Anyway, in summary- going pretty well so far, although early days. A diet that needs fairly long term willpower and not for people who like their alcohol on the weekend!

I actually agree here... I have always had issues with my blood sugar randomly dropping and get dizzy spells...have not had any issues with this so far and I am on day 2. I am also an endurance athlete who does long distance running and triathlons, and this seems to keep me from not feeling hungry all the time or feeling like my blood sugar is all over the charts. I will be keeping tabs on my progress though, my husband has more weight to lose than I do and we are doing this together. I think people get focused on the initial attack phase rather than the WHOLE diet that Dr Dukan explains which is really about shocking your body and LISTENING to when you are hungry so you can make a lifestyle change.
  • apmemo
    apmemo Posts: 43
    Options

I too only need to lose 10 pounds and I've trained for a half marathon, done P90X, religiously counted calories, religously attended spin class, all to remain stagnant. After my 2 day attack I lost 3.5 pounds and 2 days later I was down another pound.

It seems to combine a lot of diet theories, including the shock diet by incorporating regular healthy eating, a pure protein day, and celebration meals. This is the first diet/weight loss/fitness plan that has EVER worked for me. I'd recommend it if you can be extrememly dedicated.