Stomach Toning

Options
I need to tone my stomach and have heard that doing sit-ups with hand weights is an excellent way. I am unsure how many you should do a day to make it effective?
Anyone else doing situps who could help advise me on the amount you do a day?
Also if you have any other recommendations of good stomach toning exercises please share :)

Replies

• spickard34
    spickard34 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    You can not spot reduce fat so you really need overall workouts as well as abs. Check out fitnessblender.com they are free and have some great core workouts.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Doing ab exercises will strengthen your core which is a good thing. But abs are such a small muscle, it's the WORST at actually making your abs look the way you want them to look. As mentioned above, you have to lose fat OVERALL to get your stomach to look better.
  • rachsamuel1994
    rachsamuel1994 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    This makes me realise how little I actually know about these things! Thank you very much :)
  • rachsamuel1994
    Options
    Seems like before I start going into different exercises i need to do my research on what actually helps what!
  • rmyers14
    rmyers14 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Your abs are there, so no exercise is going to make them show. Abs will show when your bf % gets low enough. Assess your eating habits and cut a few hundred cals and see if you drop some weight.
  • ronmatta
    ronmatta Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    throw in Oblique Crunches
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    compound lifts + calorie deficit..

i would suggest a beginner program like 5x5 or strong lifts and mix in some cardio on off days to increase your burns….
  • sircaleb18a
    sircaleb18a Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Medicine ball crunches
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    The comedic answer is do multiple reps of fork put downs and table push backs.

But since you acknowledge the need to do some research here is my favorite reference for the basics.
    http://www.acaloriecounter.com/diet/
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Planks. God I hate planks.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    If you're like me, your fantastic six-pack abs are there, they are just hidden under a stubborn layer of belly fat. Getting rid of fat is mostly controlling your diet, along with some cardio exercise to increase your calorie deficit. Add some strength training to maintain as much of that fantastic muscle as you can while you lose the weight.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    There are lots of ways to work the abs, some better than others, but all will depend on how well/properly you do them. I personally like front squats and leg raises/toes-to-bar... but most anything can/will work.

But as others have said, toning is generally more dependent on diet than it is on exercise. Make sure your intake is appropriate.
  • rachsamuel1994
    Options
    Thank you guys! Really great advice there! And planks are hell to do! Haha. It's really good to do the research on stuff- before I would've just said 'x amount of crunches a day' etc but there's a good range of things. It's good to know your stuff!