Why diets don't work

Options
Because we seldom have the discipline to do them all our lives. However we have to keep trying!!!

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    That's why we focus on lifestyle changes and doing things that are sustainable. We also have to learn to develop positive habits and a better mindset.
  • rclarkin
    Options
    Or you can do flexible dieting and not "diets" and get amazing results without limiting your food choices. During the past month i've had pizza, cookies, chipotle and i've been "dieting". I'm down 11 lbs.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure I will be eating for the rest of my life so my diet must be awesome !
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I think you're right, OP. Finding something that's sustainable is the key thing. And accepting that you might need to modify as you get older (or if your lifestyle changes) and your calorie requirements go down. Diets are for life, not just for New Year. :) (Maybe not for everybody ... but I think for most of us, once we start we have to keep going indefinitely).
  • dewy333
    dewy333 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't DIEt - you should LIVEIT!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    With few exceptions, most fad diets don't actually teach you how to eat appropriately, they just eliminate some evil macro or otherwise use some technique that will put most people into an energy deficit, even if it's unwittingly.

Learning how to eat appropriately (quality and quantity) is ultimately important to long term success.

I would also add that so closely equate exercise and fitness with weight loss goals that they fail to actually develop any independent fitness goals...so they lose there weight and not only do they go back to old ways of eating, but they stop exercising too...because, "exercise is for losing weight." Then they're shocked that they put all of their weight back on so easily.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    pattigras1 wrote: »
    Because we seldom have the discipline to do them all our lives. However we have to keep trying!!!

This makes no sense.

If you mean diet, as in eating for weight loss, then why would we want do that our whole lives? At some point we should get to a healthy weight and stop trying to lose.

If you mean diet, as in the food we consume, then we will do it all our lives, or die.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Try what?
  • Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have learnt an amazing amount from just over 2 years using MFP on and off. Stuff I had literally no idea about before, when I was fat through sheer ignorance. Calories, nutrients, balancing carbs, fat, plus what sort of exercise one needs to maintain etc.

So I am confident that I can put MFP down and keep things under control, ie maintenance. I already did it through 2 summers. And, if things do slip a little, then MFP will come in useful to get back on track. Maybe something one always uses post holiday or during January for example.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Your diet is simply what you eat- You could be on a McDonald's diet or a pizza diet! Quit thinking diets are restrictive.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options

This makes no sense.

If you mean diet, as in eating for weight loss, then why would we want do that our whole lives? At some point we should get to a healthy weight and stop trying to lose.

If you mean diet, as in the food we consume, then we will do it all our lives, or die.

I have reached my goal weight so I am not trying to lose more, but if you think maintenance is easy, you might be in for a surprise!

Your TDEE will be much lower once you reach your ideal weight compared to your original weight and you will be forced to eat less than you might want to.

Obviously making the right choices will help you in staying within your calorie limits, but in effect you will have to watch it for the rest of your days.

My TDEE is now around 1500 calories and that is not a lot of food!
    Stef.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    SKME2013 wrote: »

This makes no sense.

I have reached my goal weight so I am not trying to lose more, but if you think maintenance is easy, you might be in for a surprise!

Your TDEE will be much lower once you reach your ideal weight compared to your original weight and you will be forced to eat less than you might want to.

Obviously making the right choices will help you in staying within your calorie limits, but in effect you will have to watch it for the rest of your days.

My TDEE is now around 1500 calories and that is not a lot of food!
    Stef.

Of course the TDEE of a person goes down as they get smaller, if activity level remains the same. Just not sure what that has to do with my response.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    That's why I'm focusing on healthy habits instead of dieting. These habits are causing my weight loss, but the habits are what I focus on. Everyday I have a goal to track my food, get 10,000 steps, drink x amount of water, and follow my training plan (today is a rest day, so it's already a green day for me!). If I meet my goals, I'm happy.

My weight is an output metric of my inputs. I can not control what number will pop up on the scale, it's just a result of my choices. My habits are my inputs. Those I can control. Those are what I'm working on.

Really great read (I plug it a lot because I really believe in it) is "The Power of Habit" by Charles Duhigg. Boring title, interesting book. It changed the way I think about diet and exercise.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Without a diet, you'd starve to death.

Choosing what foods (and how much of them) to have in our diet is something we all have to do, if we are lucky enough to live in conditions of plenty and free will.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Most DIETS SUCK!

Fortunately MFP isn't a diet as compared to most. I can eat anything I want, I just have to stay at a calorie deficit.