logging calories you don't have a food scale

Options
how should i log my calories when I don't have a food scale said things like meat? I pkan on getting a scale tomorrow, but what do i do when I'm unable to weight it? Do I just eyeball it and overestimate the calories?

Replies

• abrazame
    abrazame Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Sorry fofor the typos. Im using my phone and it's really hard to use the forums on it.Let me know if you nedd clarification.
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Honestly, there's not a great way of doing it. Having a scale to portion out calorie-dense foods is absolutely mandatory. Once you've gotten used to weighing things and seeing what portions look like, it'll become easier to eyeball on the rare occasion that you are unable to weigh your food. For now I suppose over-estimating is your best bet.

What sort of meat are you trying to guess with?
  • abrazame
    abrazame Posts: 61 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    No meat in particular. Just any meat i happen to be eating that day I guess. I am trying to avoid pork and most types of beef. I also try to eat meat at dinner time only.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    If you're getting a food scale tomorrow, I wouldn't stress too much. Just eyeball and over estimate for today, then get right on to weighing when you have your scale tomorrow.
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Definitely don't stress about it today and start weighing regularly tomorrow! Make sure you're weighing it raw and searching for it in the database as raw.
  • oncem0re
    oncem0re Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Definitely don't stress about it today and start weighing regularly tomorrow! Make sure you're weighing it raw and searching for it in the database as raw.

I just want to ask this is off OP's topic but why do you have to use raw weight vs cooked? does it make a difference if you weigh them up? example I have a 4 oz chicken raw and when it's cooked its dropped to 2oz... can I use either or? find a raw, chicken for 4 oz or find a cooked 2 oz chicken or does it make any difference?
  • curiouspeach
    curiouspeach Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    A piece of meat the size (and thickness!) of your palm is approximately 4oz or 100 grams... But the best thing to do is to measure your portions using the scale :smile: