Is it best to weigh yourself the morning after you workout?

Options
Is it? Does it matter or should a day after should be best?

Replies

• Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Before you workout first thing. After you workout won't be accurate because you lose fluids through sweat.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Some people weigh before and after a workout, so they know how much fluid they need to drink.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Some people weigh before and after a workout, so they know how much fluid they need to drink.

That's a cool idea; never heard that before. I must lead a sheltered life.

I always weigh first thing after I wake up and use the facilities.
  • melibuny
    melibuny Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yes but im talkong about the morning after any ideas?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It's best to weigh yourself at the same time of day and under the same conditions and using the same scale...other than that, it doesn't matter as you want to be observing the trend, not the absolute number...because nobody weighs exactly XXX Lbs.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    melibuny wrote: »

So you are talking about working out one day and weighing the next day or waiting a full 2 days after doing a workout?
    I weigh once a week on the same day, at the same time, same scale. I've never seen a gain from exercising the day before. I do exercise every day but I don't do super intense or long workouts.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I see the question now.

I weigh every day and workout almost every day, so I can't offer advice except this: Don't be afraid of the scale--understand its limitations.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I think you're overthinking it.

Just weigh yourself the same time under the same conditions every day or once a week. Observe the trend and try not to obsess over the actual number.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day so I can map fluctuations and understand them
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I think you're overthinking it.

Just weigh yourself the same time under the same conditions every day or once a week. Observe the trend and try not to obsess over the actual number.

Agreed. The only issue a workout might cause is if it is a brand new one and you are working muscles you haven't used before. Your muscles often retain fluids in order to repair themselves but this is temporary and if you continue to do the same workout, you won't have this issue after a week or so.

ETA: I weigh myself 2-3 times a week randomly. It is always shortly after I get up, in the nude, after the toilet, and before the coffee.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Overthinking. You just need to understand about fluctuations and not get too het up about a single days reading. As said above be consistent. Compare like with like. Weigh as often or as little as you like.
  • shifterbrainz
    shifterbrainz Posts: 245 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I've weigh myself before and after my morning walks and always weigh a pound or two more afterwards. Puzzled until I came across this: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/839/do-you-weigh-more-or-less-after-you-fart This is not meant to be a joke, although the subject always makes me giggle :wink:
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    You're more likely to retain water for repair after workouts. Best time is day after rest day away from TOM (for females).
    Or I used to weigh everyday and keep a seven day rolling average.
    Now I know my calorie burns and numbers so well I just trust the process. I tend to plateau then drop every few weeks. I don't want to overcut.
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    It's best to weigh in after you wake up and after you poop! :smiley:
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Wake up, then use the restroom, then weigh yourself. After exercise is misleading because of fluid loss and you'll think you weigh less than you actually do.
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    melibuny wrote: »

I generally do some sort of work out every day so there isn't a "morning after" my workout. Pick a day and weigh first thing in the morning on a consistent basis and your workouts won't impact it
  • Andyb7274
    Options
    I've weigh myself before and after my morning walks and always weigh a pound or two more afterwards. Puzzled until I came across this: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/839/do-you-weigh-more-or-less-after-you-fart This is not meant to be a joke, although the subject always makes me giggle :wink:

I do this, and find I usually lose between 2-4 pounds (8 mile walk, approx 2 ½ hours duration)
  • Andyb7274
    Options
    Andyb7274 wrote: »

I do this, and find I usually lose between 2-4 pounds, after walking not farting :) (8 mile walk, approx 2 ½ hours duration)

• Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    When I started I weighted myself every Monday at 5pm, that was my weigh in time with my trainer. I kept it going for a while, now it is Thursdays at or around 5pm. I don't own a scale at home, so I only use the one at the gym.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I weigh every day so I can map fluctuations and understand them

This.