Pudding Question: Fat free or Sugar free?

Options
Sunjenk
Sunjenk Posts: 139 Member
I really like having Snack Pack Chocolate Pudding in the house, sometimes it will satisfy my chocolate cravings (sometimes not :P)

Anyways, Theres a fat free option, as well as a sugar free. As far as I'm concerned they taste the same, I don't really notice a difference at all.

I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion of which one they would get, and why?

Calorie wise, they are both 80 a pack.

Just curious which you would choose, and why!

Replies

• Nursebeachnut
    Options
    Fat free....Fake sugars are not healthy at all. Just keep a limit.
  • catmandoodle
    catmandoodle Posts: 117
    Options
    I am a type 2 diabetic so I would choose sugar free. However I buy none because I can't eat just one.
  • MimerT
    MimerT Posts: 195 Member
    Options

I agree! Artificial sugar is NOT good!!! I would choose the fat free.
  • BlessedMomX2
    BlessedMomX2 Posts: 242 Member
    Options

definately agree! Go with the fat free!
  • CookieCatCatcher
    CookieCatCatcher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Sugar free, because the whole Fat-free thing is a huge scam. Nope, artificial sugars are not good either - but, if you are eating either one, you probably do not really care anyhow. A hunk of dark chocolate or an 80 calorie pack of mini M&M's would be a better option. Just MHO.

PS: You body NEEDS fat to lose weight. Sugar, not so much.
  • FoamyRiver
    FoamyRiver Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I take the fat free option. I'd rather use those fat grams on something else.
  • chattygirl2
    chattygirl2 Posts: 103
    Options
    there is no fat in sugar!! and if you eat sugar free stuff in moderation there is really no problem with it. :)
  • tonistokes529
    Options
    I would choose sugar free too. Like they said above, we need fat in our diet and when you get something that is fat free, they generally put a lot of sugar into it, for example: Fat Free Yogurt. Just my opinion.
  • chattygirl2
    chattygirl2 Posts: 103
    Options
    Sugar free, because the whole Fat-free thing is a huge scam. Nope, artificial sugars are not good either - but, if you are eating either one, you probably do not really care anyhow. A hunk of dark chocolate or an 80 calorie pack of mini M&M's would be a better option. Just MHO.

PS: You body NEEDS fat to lose weight. Sugar, not so much.

Agree! when you take away sugar most things add fat!! You can't have both! :)
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd get the regular, it's only 120 cals. and 2g fat.

But if I had to pick between your two options, I'd go for fat free. I think sugar free products are horrible.
  • sduralia
    sduralia Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    A lot of times when manufacturers take something out of a product (fat/ sugar), they put something else in to replace it that is often equally as bad for you. I try to figure out what they replaced the missing item with and whether or not it is worth it to me. I usually find it isn't. I love the eat this not that books. I don't always agree with the author's choices, but he helps make it simpler to figure out what is really in a product and what the trade off is.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I had to look in the database to be able to compare them, but if fat free is 17 grams of sugar... and sugar free is still the same calories despite lacking.... 68 calories (no sugar vs 17sugar grams x 4 calories per gram) what exactly is giving you the 68 calories in the sugar free version? It doesn't show on the nutritional info... so for me I'd take the normal stuff and enjoy it as a treat, heck I even make mine with whole milk!
  • Nursebeachnut
    Options
    This pudding would be made with a dairy product. It would be a fat free milk. Why would they need to add extra sugar to make it taste better. I can MAKE fat free pudding just by using skim milk instead of 2% or whole. The taste is no different. as far as artificial sweeteners are concerned I would stay away if possible. They truly are just chemical.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Kind of off topic but I inadvertantly discovered/created a protein "pudding" when making my evening casein shake. I took two scoops of Optimum Nutrition's Peanut Butter Chocolate casein protein, 3 tsps shredded unsweetened coconut, 1 cup coconut milk and 2 ice cubes, threw it in the Magic Bullet and blended. This came out as thick as pudding and has to be eaten with a spoon. Loaded with healthy fats & protein. SO good and doesn't give me the guilt complex of pudding ! I personally wouldn't eat "fat free" anything.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I would go with the fat free in this case. Actually, I think I have some of the fat free in my fridge right now. :bigsmile:

The reason I would go with fat free is because the milk that pudding is made from contains an animal fat which means that if you pick the full fat version it wouldn't be the heart healthy fats from plant sources. So, cutting fat from pudding by making it with skim milk would help cut the unhealthy fats. I don't necessarily think we should eat "fat free" but what fat we do eat should be heart healthy fats.

As for the sugar free, it wouldn't work with my needs because I eat to fuel my body. Sugar is needed by some people who do a lot of activity to help fuel the activity. I'm one of those people who doesn't sit still and is in need of glycogen replenishment and simple sugars provide that rapidly when needed. Plus artificial sweeteners give me horrible headaches, so I avoid them if possible.
  • saltorian
    saltorian Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd get the regular, it's only 120 cals. and 2g fat.

I agree. The regular just plain tastes better. You get a little bit of fat so you can absorb the calcium in the pudding and at least it's real sugar instead of artificial sweetener.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I think the powdered version is fat free, and sugar free. I usually go with that, then add a scoop of whey to it for a healthy snack.
  • cherrieruns
    cherrieruns Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    sort of off topic but several people made reference that we 'need' fats in our diet. This is true, however the fats we 'need' should be healthy fats such as olive oil, canola, etc.
  • LowCarbAmanda
    LowCarbAmanda Posts: 129
    Options
    Sugar Free! I've lost all of my weight thus far with low-carb and HIGH fat (not trans). :)
  • jcl1981
    jcl1981 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I like sugar free just because it tastes a whole lot better. For me fat free seems bitter and sugar free has a creamier texture because of the fat. True artificial sugars can be bad in large amounts but 1 every once in a while is not going to kill you, being overweight is far worse for you in the long run than a couple of artificial sweeteners, either way i think you should eat whatever makes you keep losing, just balance it out with lots of other whole foods. Or make your own chocolate pudding with greek yogurt and cocoa powder!