How much is too much?

Options
at the moment I run off 300 calories a day at the gym, I can only really spend an hour at the gym because of a busy schedule. But is this too little or too much?

Also how much have you guys lost so far :3?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Too much for what? What are your goals?
  • mizukikuro
    mizukikuro Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My goal is too loose weight
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    How long is a piece of string?
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Are you asking if you're exercising too much?

Where are you getting the number 300 from? How long are you working out and what type of exercise are you doing?

To answer your other question, I've lost 69 pounds so far.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The exercise you need to lose weight is a balance between calories in and calories expended. It will be different for everyone and even completely sedentary people can lose weight if they monitor their calories carefully enough.

Exercise to feel better and be stronger.

I have lost 89 pounds so far. I am exercising less than you. If time is an issue, you may consider a HIIT routine that expends more calories in a shorter time.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    You will lose weight with a caloric deficit. Exercise will help you create that deficit and is great for your health.
  • mizukikuro
    mizukikuro Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    The treadmill tells you how many calories you burned while working out. I've been doing it for three months now and I really pushed my self to get to 300, I don't know if I should push my self to more.

I haven't really exercised or lost weight before so I apologise if my knowledge isn't perfect.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    mizukikuro wrote: »
    The treadmill tells you how many calories you burned while working out. I've been doing it for three months now and I really pushed my self to get to 300, I don't know if I should push my self to more.

I haven't really exercised or lost weight before so I apologise if my knowledge isn't perfect.

You've lost 28 pounds, thats fantastic! You've got this down! If you feel you can push yourself more, then shake it up a bit. Also, try to incorporate weights (helps maintain muscle mass while you're losing).
  • pensierobello
    pensierobello Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    So vague.
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Any exercise is better than no exercise. I'd say an hour at the gym is pretty decent.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Push yourself to do more when your current routine gets boring. Doing more doesn't necessarily mean more time. For instance, I am now running 3KM in my thirty minutes instead of walking. Or you could put your treadmill on an incline. Or start a C25K routine.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Good job at the gym and increasing your fitness.

Now if you want to lose fat it sounds like you could use a quick course that covers the fundamentals.

Learn this and you will be well equipped with the knowledge of how to lose - gain or maintain weight.
    http://www.acaloriecounter.com/diet/
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    mizukikuro wrote: »

It helps to view diet and fitness as working together in congruence...but mutually exclusive. You don't have to burn anything with exercise...I wouldn't recommend it, but you can lose weight with zero exercise whatsoever. Even without exercise, your body requires XXXX amount of energy (calories) per day...for most people who aren't athletes or exercise freaks, most of your energy requirements are simply existing and then performing your daily hum drum.

Exercise is beneficial in that it does increase your body's energy expenditure...thus your maintenance level of energy increases and so does the amount of calories you can eat to lose weight. It's a nice bi-product of fitness, but you should participate in your fitness for the sake of fitness...it will be far more rewarding and you are much more likely to stick with a fitness regimen for which you have goals that are independent of just burning calories.

If you're using MFP correctly, your calorie goal is one that includes your weight loss deficit per your stats and stated goals...when you exercise you're actually supposed to eat more because that activity isn't accounted for in your activity level (or shouldn't be if you're following the MFP method)...it is extra activity that needs fueling. The more intense and vigorous your exercise regimen, the more important it is to learn to properly fuel that activity and being able to strike a balance between that and weight loss goals...properly fueling exercise activity is essential to recovery and fitness gains.