Abs

Options
i spend at least 45 minutes on abs a day x 5 days a wk. too much? I'm at the gym from 2 to 3 hrs a day. So 45 min isn't a lot but after doing some research I think I'm overworking my abs. I use ab bench and cable bars for abs. I think I need to start something new and less time on abs. Suggestions?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Why do you spend so much time at the gym? Usually an hour of lifting 5 days a week and a few half hour cardio sessions is plenty. If you are lifting and focusing on pushing yourself to lift heavier then your abs should get some work just from that. I don't normally do ab isolation work and most bodybuilding programs (for bodybuilders, figure or bikini girls) have abs once or twice a week.

Getting abs to show is more about eating appropriately for your goals. Lifting helps you keep your muscle as you lose the weight through diet and a bit of cardio.
  • cyncmt
    cyncmt Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    @itapia if you are not having back pain or decreasing your range of motion you are not overworking your abs. you may not be getting the results you want due to other factors. you may want to try adding in oblique work outs to help define
  • itapia
    itapia Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Well in average I spend two hrs. I do cardio n abs at least an hr and weights the other hr. I know diet is key. I eat pretty healthy. I just love working out. I find it therapeutic. But I came to realization I'm doing too much abs n going to change it up.
  • itapia
    itapia Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    @cyncmt thank u! Yes I do oblique work too. I think I just need a change. No back pain. I feel great!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    If you're following a good, professionally-designed, full-body strength training program, then adding more than 5-10 minutes of abs is overkill for most people, since your abs gets worked on the other exercises. Exceptions would be bodybuilders, boxers, etc. Overtraining injuries are possible from excessive ab work.

Do you do heavy deadlifts, for your back?
  • kunalsingh9
    kunalsingh9 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I train them 4 times a week but I do short bursts of high intensity abdominal routine. Not more than 6-8 sets in total. Day 1 Abs, Day 2 planks, Day 3 Rest, Day 4 Abs, Day 5 Obliques.

But make sure you get plenty of sleep daily. I can tell you form personal experience that it does make a difference.
  • eloisecromwell276
    Options

cyncmt wrote: »
    @itapia if you are not having back pain or decreasing your range of motion you are not overworking your abs. you may not be getting the results you want due to other factors. you may want to try adding in oblique work outs to help define

Is back pain an indication that someone is over working their abs? I've never a heard of that before. Also please give. List of oblique work outs that have been proven effective? Also how many reps do you recommend?

Thanks,

Eloise