Face breaking out

Options
I'm doing the 17 day diet plan - alternating days between the first phase (virtually no carbs) and phase two (limited whole grain carbs) and doing really well. I feel better than I have in years, I feel like I am in control of my eating plan and I continue to exercise 4-5 times a week (weight lifting, cardio, yoga). The weight loss is already noticeable and I am determined to reach my goal weight. But now my face is breaking out - which it never does or rarely does. Has anyone experiened this with a no to low carb diet? Any suggestions for remedies?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I'm 46 and still break out -I call it stress!
  • CanadaEh1
    CanadaEh1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I'm 46 and still break out -I call it stress!

^^^ this x 100% :). I'm 47 though ... lol
  • Bustergirl14
    Bustergirl14 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I think my stress level has been the same - same job, husband, etc. The only thing that has changed is my diet and I was thinking that my skin would be better if I stopped eating junk.
  • laceyn18
    laceyn18 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming with lower carbs you're eating more fat? When I increase my fat intake my face ways breaks out. Your body will probably adjust. If you're working out make sure you wash your face right after or use some of those cleansing wipes. If all else fails, pure tea tree oil does wonders. It's harsh on your skin so I wouldn't use it everyday but it will help keep your skin clear.
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    laceyn18 wrote: »
    I'm assuming with lower carbs you're eating more fat? When I increase my fat intake my face ways breaks out. Your body will probably adjust. If you're working out make sure you wash your face right after or use some of those cleansing wipes. If all else fails, pure tea tree oil does wonders. It's harsh on your skin so I wouldn't use it everyday but it will help keep your skin clear.

For the love of Christ do not put undiluted tea tree oil on your face. I have a scar on my face caused by a chemical burn from using pure tea tree oil on my skin as a teenager.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I'm 52 and still break out! And yeah... don't use undiluted tea tree oil!!!!!

I know this sounds woo, but it's brilliant... look up oil cleansing. It's been the best thing I've found for delicate skin that tends to break out. Trust me, I am the most anti-woo person out there, but I have sensitive skin and was desperate. Right for now for the winter I'm using sweet almond, apricot, jojoba, and a very, very small amount of castor oil.
  • thatshistorical
    thatshistorical Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Witch hazel works great to dry out excess oil.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I would caution someone of a certain age "drying out" break outs. I've learned through oil cleansing that drying my skin can actually cause more breakouts because the skin produces more oil to try to moisturize itself. A lot of the tendency for your pores to clog is genetic. If your skin is dry, but producing oil and clog-prone, you have a recipe for breakouts. Non-comedogenic moisture is the key to skin care for skin like this.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options

I know this sounds woo, but it's brilliant... look up oil cleansing.

This works great for me too. I have read that sebum is akin to wax, not to oil, and oils dissolve wax way better than soap/water with the added benefit of not drying out the skin.

"Do little, do it always" is a better strategy for clear skin for me than spot-treatments.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I've been breaking out a lot lately. I think its mostly from changing up my birth control a few months ago, but I notice it is the worst if I don't take my makeup off before working out. Something about makeup mixed with sweat obviously clogs my pores. Try working out with a "clean" face and see if that helps.