From pageant to parent to fat...time for change!

Options
I think I can pinpoint the moment my weight struggles started. I was 18 years old and decided, just for fun, to participate in the county level of the Miss America Scholarship pageant. I was shocked and excited when they announced that I won! Who doesn't need extra money for school? So began a year of preparation to compete at the state level in the Miss Oregon competition. While I never really had weight problems, I had body image problems...butt was too big. ribcage too wide, thighs too heavy....I didn't look like the magazine version of thin, so I thought I wasn't. (what would I give now to have THAT body back! lol) Add to that a pageant committee, whose job it was to get me ready for the state pageant, telling me I was still too fat, and it was a recipe for disaster. I was 5 ft. 6 inches tall, weighed 126 lbs, and wore a size six, and their opinion was I was too fat. So, on top of 2-3 hours of dance practice a day, I was living on nothing more than a microwaved chicken breast and water a day. That is when my idea of the correct way to diet became starving myself.

As I got older and started a family, I was always able to keep my weight down while I was preganant and nursing because I was vigilant about how I ate to benefit my baby. But in between, the weight would creep up because old habits returned, my family was my priority, and I didnt include my health on that list. So out would come the good-ol starvation diet again! Strangely enough (sarcasm), that diet seemed to work in reverse! I got heavier and heavier! Every time my body would catch on that I was trying to restrict food intake, it would grab hold of the fat and hang on for dear life!

Flash forward to now....I am fat. I have at least 50 extra pounds that I could lose to even feel like I am at a healthy weight again. No, I will never be 126 pounds again, I know that. But this year I had my gall bladder removed, found out I have the beginnings of arthritis in my knee, and have seen an elevation in blood pressure. It is time to stop abusing my body, and find the right way to get this weight off for good.

I think the clincher, even though the health issues SHOULD have been, was looking through family photographs. My passion is photography, I have a camera in my hands all the time, but looking at pictures of family vacations, holidays, etc., I am not IN any of the photos. I hide BEHIND the camera because I hate being IN pictures. I am literally missing from my family's photo memories! My kids are almost grown, my daughter just got married, and there are thousands of pictures, But I'm not in them, and even though that is of my own making, it still makes me sad. So it is time to take control. I need to reclaim my life, stop hiding, and get healthy. And I think this could be the the method and the forum where I can find success! I'm hoping, hoping, hoping! :happy:

Replies

• rob_spitzer
    rob_spitzer Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    awesome, welcome
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Good luck!

You have such a good attitude and put your situation so elegantly that I'm sure you will make it if you want to. I love that mfp dissuades you from starvation dieting and helps you focus on nutrition too.

I'd love to see how you do so I'm sending you a friend request :flowerforyou:
  • motv8ed
    motv8ed Posts: 13
    Options
    I know what you mean about hiding behind the camera. I do the same thing. Feel fee to friend me if you need motivation and suppot. I could use it too! :) I have about 60lbs I would like to lose. Good luck!
  • daveshoneybun
    daveshoneybun Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, I know what your talking about when you say the starvation diet, i wasn't in any pagents but that's how i lost my weight my whole life, it worked till i had to have surgery done when i was 25. Then i started gaining a lot of weight. Now i'm 44 years old and trying to lose the weight the right way and its been a strugle for me, some days i feel like giving up then i think about my granddaughter and wanting to be able to keep up with her. So I put one foot in front of the other and continue on this journey, Please feel free to add me as a friend if you would like. Good luck with your journey.
  • PST0622
    PST0622 Posts: 115
    Options
    Welcome aboard!!! I too hid behind the camera for far too long:-( This summer...that will change!!! As it will for you! Good luck!! Friend request me if you would like to!
  • angelquest
    angelquest Posts: 15
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement! I don't remember the last time I thought that I might be able to make a significant , lasting weight change. But I am discovering how warped my idea of healthy diet was, how many "invisible" calories I have been eating without realizing it, and how my horrible habit of eating just once a day was sabotaging my efforts. For the last 6 days I feel like I have been eating non-stop! How can this be dieting? LOL But I don't feel deprived or hungry, and have already lost! So I have hope! It is just a learning curve......

And you are all wonderful for reaching out to a stranger! Thank you!
  • PageantSexy
    Options
    Hi everyone - this is my first post here :) I too understand the pressure to be pageant thin. I won a local competition when i was 17 and from there went on to compete at a national and then international level... preparing for the international level was exhausting! I would do 10km's cardio every morning at the gym then go to work for 8 hours before hitting the gym for round two. My "diet" consisted of green tea, creamed rice, salad, steamed veges and fruit - and not enough of any of that! haha! Dropping down to 53kg before leaving for the international I felt fantastic and was the smallest had ever been, only to get to the international pageant and be one of the "bigger girls". This is where the body image battle began. I am not a small frame so to be that light was crazy and hard to maintain! After the competition (and not placing) I indulged in all of the foods I had banned over the three months prior and put on my lost kg's in a matter of weeks (which my boyfriend was VERY happy about haha). Now...preparing to enter another pageant i am being very careful about the way i slim down! Slowly and with correct exercise and diet is key! I don't want to be the exhausted, grumpy girl I was last year because that is NOT who i am! Onwards and upwards! :) 6kg to lose and 6 months to lose it!