Disappointment

Options
t_rog
t_rog Posts: 363 Member
So i've been on this weight loss journey for about 2 months now, and have lost about 14 lbs which is GREAT. But even though i've lost almost half of what I set out to, my clothes are still fitting the same :( I wore a pair of jeans last night that I've refused to wear for a long time because they got so tight, and they are STILL tight. What I really looked forward to was going down sizes/fitting into my clothes better, but thats just not happening. It's so unmotivating..

Replies

• ItsTerriC
    ItsTerriC Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. Sometimes it seems like nothing is happening, but all of a sudden you wake up one morning and overnight there is a difference. It doesn't make sense, but it is what happens. Maybe you are losing in in places that aren't as easy to notice, like your arms, calves and back. You are on the right track, just keep going.
  • kml07071
    kml07071 Posts: 29
    Options
    I have lost 15 lbs and am having the same problem. My pants are still tight... It is disappointing...
  • LilChickPea
    LilChickPea Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    The last place most women lose weight is in the stomach area. I would start taking your measurements every couple of weeks. Keep going! You're doing great!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I set out to lose 25 initially, and felt the same way around the 12-15 pound mark. But in the last 10-ish pounds, it's really made a difference in how the clothes fit. My jeans that fit well before are literally falling off, and the ones that were too tight or I "muffin topped" over fit perfectly now.

Give it time.

I remember reading a great analogy comparing pounds lost to sheets of paper towels around the roll. When the roll is full, the first ten sheets don't make much difference, but as the roll gets smaller, those same ten sheets represent a greater percentage of the total. I hope that makes sense, because I'm a bit tispy and not too great at explaining things at the moment. :laugh:
  • rob_spitzer
    rob_spitzer Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    don't give up, in a perfect world disappointment would not exist, it's what you do with that disappointment that matters, hang in there
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    My waist came last too. It was stuck 2 sizes higher than my hips until I got rid of the last 10 lbs, and now it's just one size bigger.

I've found exercise (namely 30 day shred) has made me far happier with my shape, as I no longer feel scrawny but flabby.
  • AmyW4225
    AmyW4225 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    It can be disappointing to be losing and your clothes don't seem to be loosening up. I think I had lost 25 pounds before I was able to get into a smaller jean size. Just keep up the GREAT work and you will start seeing your clothes start to fall of of you.
  • carpediem3
    carpediem3 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you, actually posted a thread called "Frustrated :(" yesterday...

I've lost 26lbs and still my jeans fit the same, so I can completely relate. Others have said people lose in different ways and even though I know that I can't seem to get past how someone can lose 20lbs and 4 pant sizes while I lose nearly 30 and drop no pant sizes. Grrr!

You are doing fabulous though! As people have told me, you will start seeing/feeling the results of all your hard work in due time.

Keep up the great work!
  • rschmmidt
    rschmmidt Posts: 296
    Options

I remember reading a great analogy comparing pounds lost to sheets of paper towels around the roll. When the roll is full, the first ten sheets don't make much difference, but as the roll gets smaller, those same ten sheets represent a greater percentage of the total.

This is EXCELLENT! Thanks!
  • FL_Nettie
    FL_Nettie Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel. I was watching a weight loss show & the woman weighed in almost 25 pounds more than me but somehow wears the same size I do. The one thing that keeps me going is that I'm feeling better than I have in a long time. I know that eventually it'll pay off.
  • clloy
    clloy Posts: 7
    Options
    Stay strong! The first place you gain it is the last place you lose it! For me, that's thighs. I've lost two sizes from the waist up, but from the hips down progress is achingly slow. I'm hoping things pick up soon and I can stop feeling lopsided.
  • Missylydia
    Missylydia Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky, the first place i loose weight is around my waist, which is nice. I look great naked! (shame noone sees it! haha)
    However, the last place I loose it is my butt! So my jeans fit the same for ages, and I look a bit strange! Aaaah!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    How much of your exercise is weights/resistance? I would suggest about twice a week you do some sort of resistance training (this could be old fashioned weights, pilates, yoga, resistance bands, ballet, etc.). It will help re-sculpture your body into a leaner your.

However, at first, you may not notice a lot of results, because the muscle builds *under* the fat, making you look the same for a bit. But, in the long run it will also boost your metabolism, so that you burn more calories a day, even at rest. (So if you've already been doing resistance exercises, this may be part of the issue right now).
  • cckeimig
    cckeimig Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    The paper towel analogy is excellent! And it's so true! My experience has been similar to many others'. I figured there'd be a huge difference in how my clothes fit once I'd lost ten pounds or so, but it wasn't until I'd lost 23-25 that I suddenly found my pants literally falling off. I now HAVE to wear the belt that at one point I couldn't even close. If I don't, my pants won't stay up.
  • Fiedems
    Fiedems Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    If you are like me, when you say they were "so tight" you really mean they were so tight I couldn't sit down, pull up the zipper, sometimes even buttoning the button wasn't happening (which is why there were LOOOONG tops). They were so tight that I could no longer even fake that they were my size.

I too recently put on a pair of pants that were so tight (see above) and while they are not loose in any stretch of the imagination, I can now say they fit. I can sit comfortably, zip and button them.

So take a moment and think about the last time you wore those pants.... do they REALLY fit exactly as they did when you were 15lbs heavier???

I denied that my clothes didn't fit for the longest time. Now that I am loosing weight, I'm slightly dissapointed that I have no need for new clothes yet. But I'm finally realizing that the clothes I do have are finally fitting me as they were intended too.
  • MARTHAS1611
    Options
    Don't worry. Don't let disappointments bring you down. Continue on your track and you will lose a couple of more pounds and will fit in those jeans in no time. :wink: Sometimes it takes longer than we would like to see results of the hard work we put into fitness but just stick to it.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I lost 30lbs and went down two pants sizes. The 18lbs I've lost since then I went down three more pants sizes. So I'd say that the paper towel roll analogy is a good one. lol

Stick with it and eventually you'll start seeing changes in a more noticeable way. You're doing a great job so far so just keep at it! :)