Too Much Protein

Options
The counter says I should be eating 1,200 calories a day. I am doing good to get 900 calories in each day and am still going over on the protein. I love milk, so can easily add the few hundred calories I am lacking with a couple of glasses each day, but of course that adds more protein. Since I am already going over, I am concerned about adding even more protein. Does anyone know the effects of having too much protein on my diet?

Replies

• bethikabob
    bethikabob Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    MFP automatically sets your calorie ratio to 55% carbs, 30% fats, and 15% protein, many people change their ratio to be more along the lines of 40/30/30 and you may want to do the same :)
    Oh and you may want to try difference ratios and do a little research on your own to see what is best for you, I've read a fair amount of information ranging from the 40/30/30 to saying it isn't based on a ratio, but on your weight.
  • Missylydia
    Missylydia Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    More protein is great as long as your fat is low, but it may make you feel more sluggish.
  • indigocat
    indigocat Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I don't know medically about the effect, but I do know there are diets out there that are based on high protein. I know when I went on a high protein diet, my wee went a milkyish color and wasn't very nice. I was told it was ketones(?) from a high protein diet and I think I remember that it was something to watch out for, so I am guessing way too much protein wouldn't be a good thing. I used to do weight lifting in my not fat and lazy days and I ate enormous amounts of protein. I was strong and fit and felt good. I don't know if it did any silent harm inside me, but I didn't feel bad on it at all. In fact, it was the best I ever felt.

LOL - no help in that from me after all, was there :) sorry!
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    i set my macros at
    55% carbs 20% fat and 25% protein.

if you are getting 40-60 grams of protein then you are fine..that is how much we should be getting..according to the american heart association
  • ksdallas
    ksdallas Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the information! I didn't think it was too big of a deal, but wanted some outside input.

I updated the settings to 40/30/30 as bethikabob suggested (thanks!) and that was the perfect adjustment. Now I am more in line with my goals on a daily basis.

I am sure it is a mental thing, but it does make me feel better to know that I am more inline with the goals.