Dress doesn't fit :(

Options

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    hlo9603 wrote: »
    It's not too awful. It just only zips up to a certain point. I appreciate everyone's comments and I will more than likely just have it altered. I hate to do that because the dress was already so expensive but this is for my sister not me and I need to tell myself that and move forward. Thank u for the encouragement!!!

The tailoring shouldn't cost too much! And who knows, those dresses can be crazy, you may have had to have it tailored in some way in the next size up as well.
  • sncoombs
    Options
    Keep breathing - there are plenty of amazing things that amazing people can do!!
    This happened to me a year or so ago!! My dress wouldn't zip up passed a certain point! In the end I had loops fixed along the split of the dress where the zip should have been and ribbon and inserted a panel inside! It was an absolute dream!
    Chuck a pair of "suck me in" knickers on and own it girl!!
    Do not let a number define you or the way you feel!!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Beginsgirl wrote: »
    Try juicing. Its hard but you will lose some weight.

NO!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Ok, this CAN be fixed. If you can't return it for a bigger size, then they can just alter it. In the interim, you continue what you're doing (WTG on the 7 pounds), and everything will work out.
  • hlo9603
    hlo9603 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thank u all so much! U have all made me feel ten times better!!
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    hlo9603 wrote: »
    It's not too awful. It just only zips up to a certain point. I appreciate everyone's comments and I will more than likely just have it altered. I hate to do that because the dress was already so expensive but this is for my sister not me and I need to tell myself that and move forward. Thank u for the encouragement!!!

Ok, that is GOOD, in seamstress world. Get yourself to a bridal seamstress this week for sure (alterations take time). Chances are, if it is a pricey gown, there is likely plenty of seam allowance to release the seams. Very common area of the dress to need altering. And like others have said, *every* bridal or bridesmaid gown needs altering of some sort.

As far as diet, don't go do anything crazy--maintain a reasonable intake (don't gain, don't worry about having to lose too much, you need your energy) and let your seamstress do her magic :smile:
  • hlo9603
    Options
    Thank u @williams969‌ I appreciate that!!
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Hello -- I'm a seamstress and let me tell you, we fix so many bridesmaid's dresses that don't fit.

There are a lot of different variables that go into fitting a dress. Most dress shops only take your bust, waist, and hip measurement, then go with the largest measurement. If you are slightly endowed and have slightly narrow hips, the dress will never fit.

And even if the bust, waist and hips are the correct measurement, the distance between the bust and waist, and waist and hips may be off so the dress doesn't fit. If the dress waist is two inches below your waist, then the narrowest part of the dress is two inches below your narrowest part, and the dress won't zip.

It's the dress -- not you! -- that is the problem.

Find a good seamstress and have them let the dress out in the proper places. Check Angie's List or Nextdoor in your area to see if there are any seamstress reviews.

If you are near me, come to my shop. :smiley:

Clearly, I'm not the OP, but I just wanted to say "Thank you!". It's SO nice to see someone with a helpful, positive response! Not to say others on this thread are not nice, but this was an informative and empathetic response. Hope the OP can benefit from it.

Thank you so much BZAH!
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Glad you're feeling better :) You shouldn't fit the dress, the dress should fit you!
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I would go bat crap crazy if I was a woman. Men's sizes are in actual quantifiable units of measurement.

Women's sizes seem to be whatever the hell someone feels like that day.
  • wrecktechno
    wrecktechno Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    open your diary so we can help you lose as much weight as possible. start interval training. HARD interval training and strength training. push ups, sit ups, dips, keep rocking that *kitten*. keep your diet as en pointe as possible - salad, steamed veg, lean meat, limit the bread. You have 32 days and you should be able to lose at least another 4 pounds in that time. YOU CAN DO IT
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Last year I Was fitted for a dress, it Was a disaster. The girl only measured my bust, waist, hips. She measured nothing else. It came out to 32/26/34. When I got the dress it didn't fit well at all. It hurt!! Took it to my seamstress (I had used her before so knew she could fix anything, add fabric if needed) well she measured the dress and said it was cut for 30/26/32. Clearly not my size! So it was the manufacturer fault. Not mine. She fixed the dress and it was no big deal. I learned that these David bridal places are often very wrong when it comes to sizing and the products they sell aren't that great anyway. It was a cheap dress that costed a lot..so likely this isn't your fault at all. Its probably just the same situation that I was in. Don't worry about it, it can be fixed. They can even add fabric in many cases. Don't try any crazy diet, you'll get sick and will be unable to enjoy yourself at the wedding if your ill. Just call the company and complain, go see a seamstress, and you'll be fine. This isn't your fault.
  • hlo9603
    Options
    Thank u so much for all the encouraging words. You all are very sweet!!
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem a few summers ago. The whole bridal party was measured & went with the recommended sizes - and guess what? NONE of us fit in our dresses, they weren't even close. Sometimes the size they suggest isn't right.

We had to have all our dresses converted to lace ups (in the back) - can you find a seamstress that may be able to do this for you?
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    You'd think that the bridal stores would get better at measuring via experience, if for no other reason than to cut down on the number of angry customers trying to get a refund a week before an event.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Spanx! I was in a wedding and the dress wouldn't zip - but some good spanx did wonders and I was able to wear the dress. If it is just a little tight get to shopping for some good undergarments that wrangle everything in.

And bridesmaid dress sizes are evil. The size they made me order was a million sizes larger than anything I've ever worn in my life. Jerks.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    And bridesmaid dress sizes are evil. The size they made me order was a million sizes larger than anything I've ever worn in my life. Jerks.

Technically it's the everyday clothing chains that are evil, with their vanity sizing in order to sell more product via flattery. Bridal and bridesmaid dresses use truer sizing, based on how sizes used to be standardized according to US Department of Commerce Uniform Sizing, and closer to the sizing found in sewing patterns.

Whenever you hear that Marilyn Monroe was a size 14, you have to consider that with her measurements, (5'5" tall, 35/22/35), she'd be wearing a size 2 or 4 in today's sizes.
  • TermagantRex
    TermagantRex Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Depending where the zipper stops: try changing your bra. I had this exact same problem before my sister's wedding in the fall. A better (i.e. well-fitted balconette) bra made Mr. Zipper do as he was told.

Also: listen to the seamstress. :)
  • hlo9603
    Options
    Lol! I've considered spanx @Ready2Rock206‌! And I agree they are evil! But I'm working hard and will probably just have to have it altered to my dismay.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Well, if it was expensive, imagine how sadder it would be to have it not fit, uncomfortable, or in the back of the closet while you drop another small fortune on another dress.

Get it altered. I wonder, what about having a lace-up replace the zipper?

Good luck!!!