Snacks for on the road late at night

Options
So starting Saturday I'm following a band around the UK. Over the space of 2 weeks I'm doing 10 gigs. I do a lot of queueing outside, but also a lot of night driving. I'll be having breakfast/lunch as a norm but I then wont eat until I'm back in my car at around 11.30pm-ish.

I used to just stop off at McDonalds/fast food places and grab a Big Mac and full fat coke. Obviously I don't want to do that this time.

Any ideas for snacks/meals that can stay in a car most of the day, I'll probably take a cool box to leave in my car so chilled meals/snacks only please.

I dont like carrots, cucumbers, raisins. Everything else I'm pretty open to. :)

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You could pack some fruit and nuts. And still stop for fast food and make low cal choices.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Mozarella cheese sticks/nuts/fruit/protein bars.

What band has inspired this devotion?
  • YoshiCow
    YoshiCow Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Mozarella cheese sticks/nuts/fruit/protein bars.

What band has inspired this devotion?

Kaiser Chiefs, followed them for 10 years now :)

I'll stock up on lots of fruit, seems the best and cheapest way maybe. Thank you both :)

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Jerky is good, string cheese or cheese and cracker packs, fruit...
  • bogoisblessed1
    bogoisblessed1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I like salt free pretzels with hummus and raw almonds dipped in 1 Tbsp peanut butter. Keeps my energy and sugar levels up between meals.
  • kayeiam
    kayeiam Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    This might help you too. I bought a vinyl lunch back that has a plastic tub inside it. has extra zippered compartment on the tip and two net pockets on the sides. I bought 2 hard ice packs (like for coolers). I found if I put one on each side of the bag and then fill in the center with my foods. it stays cold for over 8hrs. (in fact when I get home from work, the ice packs are still pretty frozen. The insulated bag helps keep them frozen longer I think. This way you can pack what every you want. Yogurt, cheese, a nice tortilla wrap sandwich, or any kind of sandwich. boiled eggs (just don't put boiled egg's next to ice packs or they do freeze a little. You can also do baggies of veggies, cherry/grape tomato's, celery, cucumbers, baby carrots, fresh broccoli/cauliflower, what ever floats your boat. You can even make up a salad, put in a quart or gallon size baggie, and then put on a paper plate that you stuffed in your lunch pail. This way you can take left over dinner, meats (that you like to eat cold), etc. I even take almond milk in a 8oz water bottle, I take v8 juice in 8oz water bottle. I pretty much can take anything I want that will fit in my bag. I will take plastic silverware and stick it next to one of the ice packs (just enough room for fork,spoon, knife. The top zipper area, I keep napkins, medicines, like asprin, cough drops, etc, what ever I may need at the work site, I leave these in there. The top is also insulated, you could put fruit or something in there too. Hope this helps
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Cheese sticks, protein bars, yogurt, beef jerky, apples and peanut butter.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy on the road is very difficult. If a late night stop for fast food is what is convenient for you, just change what you buy.

Replace the Big Mac, fries and Coke with two hamburgers, fruit/yogurt parfait, and water. Probably would be equally filling.

Big Mac - 530
    med fries - 340
    large Coke - 280
    total - 1,150 calories

Two hamburgers - 480
    fruit & yogurt parfait - 150
    water - 0
    total - 630 calories with a whole lot less fat and sugar.
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Canned tuna, lentils and beans. Nut butters and fruit. Hummus and veggie sticks. Tortilla wrap sandwiches instead of normal bread, I find they don't go soggy as quickly and keep better when chilled. Dinner leftovers that you can pop in the microwave at a gasstation would work too.
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I'd go with nuts, string cheese, peanut butter crackers, jerky--something with some protein/fat. I find that if I snack on fruit only, I end up hungrier than if I didn't eat it. I need some protein/fat to keep me from wanting to eat my arm.