Help starting an exercise routine

Options
mjtbb
mjtbb Posts: 77 Member
I'm a newbie here. I have been logging in for about a month. I started losing my water weight easily enough but now I seem to be stuck. My metabolism is next to negative since I haven't exercised in many many years. After reading blogs and posts I realized that even if I don't like it I will have to do something even if minimal.

I have both hips replaced (twice now) and my right shoulder which never worked right since (or before) (I can't raise it higher than my chest) so I have been away from anything too strenous. My first hip replacement was on 1990 when I was 24 because of rheumatoid arthritis (I'm 47 now). My weight increased steadily after that. I was never the athlete kind but I was active enough to not have any weight issues before RA. I'm aware that I need to excercise anyway but with all this weight I'm carrying around now, even walking can be quite difficult for me at times. One of the reasons I needed to lose weight is because the joint and muscle pain has reached my pain threshold and I'm getting worse. Interestingly enough, since I started eating better, I feel more energy but I'm still having my annoying hip pain at the end of the day which gives me an excuse to not try exercising. What little I do in the Wii seems like so small it doesn't seem worth it.
Today I did a second day in a row in the wii and "workout" for an hour which is more than yesterday with half hour. but it seems like pennies of calories compared with a real workout.

I saw that those workouts they mention here are "on demand" but the first one I thought of trying gets you down on the floor. Thats a big no no for me. My bad legs do not allow me to get in the floor let alone get up. Does anyone here know how I can find a workout with no floor exercises at all? I'm going to try the dancing ones but I have to figure out some way to watch in my kitchen since the carpet in my TV room makes it very difficult to swivel. Of course my balance is wacko anyway but at least I can try. I'm not supposed to do high impact stuff but I usually just do jumps without leaving the floor by just raising my heels. It seems half-hearted but at least is something.

Any ideas?

Replies

• DarkDiva2005
    DarkDiva2005 Posts: 140
    Options
    if you have, or an get, access to a pool water walking or aerobics are very good and it take pressure off you joints so it shouldn't be too difficult for you. Good luck!
  • 01elizabeth59
    Options
    I really think Leslie Sansone's "Walk away the pounds" might be good. It's basically walking in place. She does add arms but you can do what's comfortable for you. There are no floor exercises. She has many different DVDs. I have a set that has a 1 mile, 2 mile and 3 mile walk. She always has one person who modifies her movements for less range of movement. You might want to check it out. You can find info on the internet about her and her programs. Good luck to you!! I'd admire the fact that you are trying!!
  • melanie92
    melanie92 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hi honey - bless your heart! Big kudos for trying even though it hurts. That's a huge accomplishment! :happy:

I suggest adding water aerobics and walking for now. Don't get discouraged by the low calorie burn on your Wii exercise. Exercise has benefits way beyond today's calorie log. Stay at it, even in small sessions, and one day you'll realize that you went longer and it didn't hurt!

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I really think Leslie Sansone's "Walk away the pounds" might be good. It's basically walking in place. She does add arms but you can do what's comfortable for you. There are no floor exercises. She has many different DVDs. I have a set that has a 1 mile, 2 mile and 3 mile walk. She always has one person who modifies her movements for less range of movement. You might want to check it out. You can find info on the internet about her and her programs. Good luck to you!! I'd admire the fact that you are trying!!

I second that. I love her! She is so easy and fun to do!
  • teebeegeebee
    teebeegeebee Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    HI
    i agree water walking in the shallow end of the pool is awesome and is a great cardio workout
    try that as it also is low impact
    then later you could try some gentle walking and build up slowly
  • GypsyWagon
    GypsyWagon Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Definitely the water walking or aerobics. It's gentle and the water will help support your weight and ease the load on your joints. You notice results more quickly, too, as your working against more resistance than on land. I found classes for my Mom through Parks and Rec...check online for the programs in your city. Good luck!
  • bettyjune
    bettyjune Posts: 4
    Options
    I use the Wii fit and am now burning a minimum of 400 calories per workout. Of course I started at a much lower amount, bu have worked up to the current level. The things I do are - Advanced Step (5 mins for 25 calories) Rythym Boxing -Advanced (13 mins for 72 calories), Island Run (15 mins for a min. of 100 calories, Free Run ( 10/20/30 mins for up to 230 calories) You can also try some of the strength and yoga in there as well. I usually mix it up so I don't get bored. I have used the Wii Fit steadily since last July and I LOVE it! I have lost 50 pounds since then. I know it's hard working through the pain, but the more you do, the more you WILL be able to do. Good Luck and keep working at it!
  • Bryce58
    Bryce58 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Is cycling a possibility?
  • mjtbb
    mjtbb Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thank you, everyone.
    I at least got some ideas here.

I'm a little broke in terms of money and time. But I'm looking to see if I find an aquatics class that I can join so I can fit my schedule to the class times. I'll check Parks and Recreation in my county, didn't even think about it but we do have classes for seniors. I'm only 3 years away so I'm sure they'll let me. I used to belong to Sheltering Arms Rehab hospital which had a pool with accesible stuff but when winter came I couldn't handle the cold environment even if the pool was heated and then never went back. My bad.

I'll look into those walking tapes. I found them in amazon but I'm trying to get them locally this week since I have to get a new scale also.

Bryce58: I can do cycling (stationary, no good balance for the real thing) since my knees are not my problem but I have to get one. I had one and loaned it to my FIL. He used it until it broke. I told him not to get a new one since I wasn't really using it at the time and didn't really have space for it.

Bettyjune: Have you lost all that weight only with the Wii Fit? That encourages me, since that I can try doing everyday for an hour or so. Plus then get a walk in the afternoons. I also have a treadmill but it is put away at this time. I need to rearrange our extra room. Is full of my daughters toys (barbie house and buckets full of stuff) which we need to give away since she is almost 13 and doesn't use them. Planning on cleaning the room this summer and installing the treadmill where I can do it while watching TV. Until then I have to find an alternative. Believe it or not I actually enjoyed the treadmill when I did it, just never did it for long enough.
  • bettyjune
    bettyjune Posts: 4
    Options
    My husband bought me the Wii fit for my birthday last July and since then I haven't looked back. I actually started getting up at 5am to work out before work every day! Still can't believe that one!! I finally found something I like and got motivated to do it and then KEEP doing it! It was the only thing I used for exercise until the beginning of April when I started going to a personal trainer. Again, I can't believe THAT either! Is this really me!? I used to hate exercise and always got bored really quick. I only have 10 pounds more to lose and the Wii Fit is helping me reach my goals. I finally realize, after all these years, that you really do have to do the exercise unless you want to really restrict your calories and be "On a Diet". The Wii Fit has helped me to finally "get it"!
    I guess the secret is that you just have to find something you like that works for YOY and stick with it! Totally Amazing!!