Losing inches not pounds - Low Carb

Options
Hello folks

Hoping for a bit advice about if we're going wrong, and perhaps where.

Myself and my partner had a great 2014 of travelling all over the world and generally letting ourselves go. We generally kept fit but it was always an after thought. We're getting married this year and we both tipped the scales at Christmas at our top weights, so great time to lose a few pounds.

We both want/need to lose around 25lbs each. I started us off with a low carb diet cutting out bread, pastas, beans etc of which we ate loads, and turned to veg and meat.

A typical lunch is either tuna or chicken salad (no sauce just vinegar - 500kcal approx) and stir fry for dinner, chicken/prawn, or fish an steamed veg (8-900kcal). Add in some breakfast of yoghurt and veg for snacks it feels like it's gone well. My appetite has been surpressed and I'm losing inches. I'm running 20km a week and shirts which didn't fit before Christmas are now fitting well.

But neither of us have lost much, if any weight. I have a net loss of 4lb and actually have put on 3lb over the last week. I can't understand, eating 1400 a day, regular exercise, low carb and fat, that I'm gaining? Is low carb not actually doing the job and i need a more balanced diet? And I storing too much fat because of this? Any useful advice would be greatfully received. Thanks

Replies

• troutrouter
    troutrouter Posts: 62
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You will hear several responses on here. Firstly, it's all about a caloric deficit; therefore, a low carb diet isn't really necessary. Secondly, 1400 calories may be a bit low. And finally, most likely you are under-estimating your caloric intake and/or over-estimating the calories you are burning. That should sum up the majority of responses you will receive.
  • Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you doing something right, if the inches are dropping away!
  • georget84
    Options
    Thanks guys appreciate the response. My logging is to a T I know that, I weigh everything I eat and track it accurately. I usually under estimate exercise somewhat as well, so I know that's in good order. Also with the types of food I'm eating, even if I was under estimating, it would take a large amount to make a significant difference.

Having said that perhaps 1400 is a bit low, my goal is 1500 but maybe I need to up it a little. I would have thought I would have lost a bit more net weight early on if that was the issue.

I do prefer the low carb because my appetite has been surpressed and I never feel hungry which makes the whole thing a lot easier, but maybe it's not the way forward
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    What portion of your exercising calories, from running 20 km (12 miles) a week?
  • yolo9752
    yolo9752 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Could you be building muscle? That would explain loosing inches!
  • twerglum
    twerglum Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I went for three weeks without losing any lbs. I felt stronger and better though. I was getting a little frustrated and then I lost 4 lbs in the last week. My clothes are fitting way better, so it's obvious something is going right. Every body is different, and most people don't end up losing weight because they give up based on not getting results fast enough. Just keep it up and think of the long term goal not the short term.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    yolo9752 wrote: »
    Could you be building muscle? That would explain loosing inches!

No chance on only 1400 cals per day.

OP, why are you eating so little? Can you open your diary? I'm guessing 1400 cals per day for a 30yr old male is would to be putting you in a 1K+ per day deficit and you would be losing weight..pretty quickly (and not necessarily in a good way).
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    You will hear several responses on here. Firstly, it's all about a caloric deficit; therefore, a low carb diet isn't really necessary. Secondly, 1400 calories may be a bit low. And finally, most likely you are under-estimating your caloric intake and/or over-estimating the calories you are burning. That should sum up the majority of responses you will receive.

No. You do not, not lose weight because your calories are too low.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I'd rather lose inches than pounds. Way to go!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    3-4 pounds in a little over a month, when you need to lose 25 overall, is pretty good. Some weeks will be up, some down and some steady. But if you're losing weight overall: that is the goal.

And it sounds like you're eating 500 for lunch, 800-900 for dinner plus breakfast/snacks? Your intake is fine - though no reason to avoid carbs unless there are medical details you know that we don't. Total calorie count is the bottom line.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

No. You do not, not lose weight because your calories are too low.

True, but that doesn't mean an overlarge deficit is still a good idea. It's not.
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, too steep of a deficit will increase the water retention effect, stalling weight?
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    It you just started this after the holidays, it is possible some of it is short term water weight gain that comes with a new exercise program (I assume this is a new development from your OP). Research delayed onset muscle soreness.

When you start exercising, you get micro tears in the muscles. This is good...it's how your body adapts and gets stronger. But part of that rebuilding process is inflammation. It goes away after a few weeks. If you are losing inches, you can't be eating too much. It looks like you might be losing fat and water weight may be temporarily disguising it.

It could also be water weight from additional glycogen storage from the exercise...again, this is just water weight.

My guess is it is some combination of these two factors.
  • kcmccormack
    kcmccormack Posts: 71 Member
    Options

THIS. everyone is gonna say these things. Some people told me to eat whatever Crap I wanted as long as I had a deficit it wouldn't matter. Which personally I think is TOTAL BS.

I'm in the same position as you. I log everything. I'm doing p90x 6 days a week. I stick to no starches, low carbs, mainly fruits, veggies and proteins. I've lost 4-5 lbs since December, but can see a difference in toning and things feel tighter, harder. Like you.

Which, if you think about, we've both lost about .5 lbs a week, that's a regular rate of healthy, long lasting weight loss.

One thing that seems to make a big difference for me is water. The more I drink, the less I retain. Which makes a huge difference on the scale in the morning, I'm talking like 3-4lbs compared to when im not hydrating. Experiment with this by drinking non stop for a few days, you'll pee like a crazy person, but you might notice that 3lbs go away. I always underestimated the importance of it. It'll help you get a more accurate idea of your weight, if it is water. Also, if you're really sore from a work out, since you just started on a regular basis again, your body goes through an adaptation period. It'll naturally retain alot of water since it needs it to repair tissue.

I've just come to realize eat as healthy as possible and exercise daily, you'll lose weight. Patience. It takes time. Doesn't sound like you're doing much wrong. If you don't have much to lose and you've always been relatively in shape, don't compared yourself to someone who was overweight and dropped tons of weight quickly, diet change and exercise won't shock your body as it will theirs.

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    If you are gaining weight, you are eating too much, low carbs or not. Start weighing and measuring everything, including gum.
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    You are doing just fine. The scale is an inaccurate tracker of body recomposition, which is what is happening with your calorie restriction and exercise. Just go with it and monitor overall size and maybe take pictures to help you "see" that your work is paying off for you.

As for "no reason to avoid carbs". I see this all of the time here. Some people feel better/less hungry when carbs are reduced - as you stated above. I am one who has done FAR better on low carb/high fat than any other plan using calorie restriction. It's very individual and each individual should be able to eat the types of foods that helps them get through the day - despite the popular MFP sayings.
    I would have trouble with hunger on LC/low fat, so kudos to you if it's working.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    If you are gaining weight, you are eating too much, low carbs or not. Start weighing and measuring everything, including gum.
    He is not eating too much. How is he eating too much if his clothes are getting looser?

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    He is not gaining weight - indicates he has lost weight overall, but the scale is up THIS week. And he seems to think he should be losing faster. Need realistic expectations, and more time to pass to monitor results.
  • kcmccormack
    kcmccormack Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I would totally disagree that you're eating too much. No one is eating too much at 1400 a day. Thats not very high

I used http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ to get a good idea of what to aim for as calorie intake at my activity level. I checked a bunch of different calculators and used an overall average.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I know when I turn to salads, the sodium can sometimes be an issue. Are some of your meats canned or packaged? This will definitely contribute to water retention. If you're losing inches, I wouldn't look too closely at a 1-4 lb. increase in weight.