Struggling

Options
I am trying desperatley to lose some weight (sensibly of course) but seem to be getting no where. I sit at a desk all day so don't get much excercise. Fitness pal limits me to 1200 calories a day, most of the time I am actually under that, any tips etc?

Thanks, Amy

Replies

• spamarie
    spamarie Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options
    I saw on your profile you only have 12 pounds to lose. It's a relatively small amount, so you probably should aim to lose between 0.5 to 1 pound a week. Unfortunately that tends to feel really slow, especially when you have a stalling (but perfectly normal) week.

But it does mean you can probably afford to eat a bit more than 1200 calories a day, which will make it more doable, and therefore easier to stick to. Hope that helps!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Desperately and sensibly don't mix well! Do as spamarie says and eat more. At least never under 1200 calories a day, that will just make you feel more desperate and then give up. Be patient.
  • savvyfantastic
    savvyfantastic Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Find ways to work in exercise, make sure you're eating plenty of nutrient rich foods (eg vegetables).

I work 10-12 hours a day at a desk and still find time to train. It can be hard sometimes to make things a part of day to day routine, but the first part making it part of your life is the hardest step.
  • FourLynne
    FourLynne Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Take mini-walks throughout the day. People get smoke breaks, so it should not be frowned upon if you get up and take a quick five minute walk around the facility or the block. Just five minutes say every other hour even would help. Do leg lifts under your desk. Who cares what you look like doing it, think of the end results! :-)
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    If you’re having trouble losing weight, are you doing any exercise? If not, incorporate that and that should help get the ball rolling. Be sure you’re eating enough though. I would eat at the minimum 1200 cal/day. I do all of my exercise at home with fitness programs and they work great and are time efficient, many of which are 30 minutes/day.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    spamarie wrote: »
    I saw on your profile you only have 12 pounds to lose. It's a relatively small amount, so you probably should aim to lose between 0.5 to 1 pound a week. Unfortunately that tends to feel really slow, especially when you have a stalling (but perfectly normal) week.

But it does mean you can probably afford to eat a bit more than 1200 calories a day, which will make it more doable, and therefore easier to stick to. Hope that helps!

This. with very very little to lose 2LBs is too much to aim for.
    Set it to .5 and eat the calories it gives you. And be patient.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    set your goal to 0.5lb a week

get up and walk - go for a lunchtime walk

I'm desk bound (hence on here) but still normally clock around 5-6000 steps during the day (now anyway, never used to .. I just used to sit here .. now I feel antsy if I don't 'get the lead out')

• AmyHigginsx
    AmyHigginsx Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Need to up my eating then by the looks of things