Advice on whey protein powder- anyone used it for dieting?

Options
So I have heard of a few people who have used whey protein powder with some success for dieting and not just for building muscle. I am not a hard core fitness person and I don't really work out. I usually just walk, play ball with the kids, swim or something like that. I had heard that using the protein powder at breakfast time helps keep you full and you can use it before/after a workout etc... my issue is snacking and being hungry at night. If I used the whey powder after dinner would it help keep me full until bedtime or should I just look into some of the other appetite suppressants out there. I'd really prefer something natural. I already drink lots of water and have tried things like lettuce w/ fat free dressing and watermelon... low calorie snacks... but I need something more. Thanks for any ideas!

Replies

• GypsyWagon
    GypsyWagon Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about whey protein powder. But, a cup of hot decaf green tea is all it takes to knock my hunger pangs out at night...don't know why, but the green tea works much better than any other type of tea or coffee for me.
  • admom
    admom Posts: 1
    Options
    I use the Max Muscle MaxPro protein powder and it is GREAT!!! I've tried other brands and I'm not fans of them but the maxpro is smooth and wonderful. Getting enough protein is so important so your body doesn't use its muscle mass. Lean meats, cottage cheese, and powders are great ways to get enough protein throughout the day.
  • 224BILL
    224BILL Posts: 29
    Options
    I use it quite frequently, for me its filling as well as a good nutritional supplement. It helps your muscle recovery, just be careful some are loaded with calories you just need to shop around and pick the one thats right for you.
  • stepherjensen
    stepherjensen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am not a breakfast person - When I eat in the morning, I feel sick. I have been using "Designer Whey - 100 Calories" in French Vanilla at breakfast with frozen fruit and a cup of milk or almond milk in my magic bullet and it's been the best decision I've ever made. I drink it after I shower in the morning, usually around 7:15, and I'm not hungry until 12:30ish most days (I'm a teacher, no time for snacks!!)! It's amazing!!

It's around $35 for a 2lb tub, it's lasted my husband and I about a month, and that's a smoothie a day each. It's blends completely - it's not gritty and it has a great flavour!

Depending on what fruit and milk I use it's between 200 and 350 calories - a great meal replacement.

Hope that helps!
  • MaybeImNot
    MaybeImNot Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I do Whey (Dymatize Natural Rich Chocolate Whey Isolate) in the mornings or right after workouts and I do Casein (Gold Standard 100% Chocolate) in the evenings as a snack/recovery.

The two types process very differently and that's why I keep them in the slots they are in (whey = faster; casein = slower)
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I am not a breakfast person - When I eat in the morning, I feel sick. I have been using "Designer Whey - 100 Calories" in French Vanilla at breakfast with frozen fruit and a cup of milk or almond milk.

I too use the xact designer whey french vanilla and its great as a post work out shake or as a meal replacement! And talk about full! So I completley agree!
  • bparsont
    bparsont Posts: 50
    Options
    I use dymatize whey w/almomd milk after a workout which is treadmill, walking or gardeing. It helps rebuild muscle and reduce muscle aches for me. There is also rice protein which in some cases is better than whey that comes from cows milk which may or may not have rBSH and in some opinions is not a healthy choice. So you have many protein options, Whey(cow milk), Rice and Soy (that has phytoestrogens, which may or may not affect you.)
  • PhoenyxRising
    PhoenyxRising Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone... sounds like that 100 calorie stuff is the way to go. I actually looked at some the other day and they have a buy one get one free special at a store just up the road from me, so I guess its just calling my name. I'll give it a try and let everyone know how it works for me. Thanks again!!!
  • vwbear
    vwbear Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm using Designer Whey French Vanilla, and I mix it with skim milk instead of water. I like the convenience of pickiing it up in the drug store or grocery store, and I can always change the flavor, if I want to, by adding some sugar free chocolate syrup or sugar free pudding mix (1 or 2 Tbsp). I tried a lot of protein supplements when I had my surgery almost 8 years ago, and some of them can taste pretty nasty, so you might want to try different supplements by getting samples or purchasing small amounts to try them out. I don't have a blender, but I have a couple of the shake mixing cups, and they work pretty well. May have to get a blender to try one of those smooothies though. Oh, another flavor I used to drink was to mix a couple of spoon fulls of sugarfree Tang in the vaanilla shakes- that made them taste like a creamsicle.