Logging a day with no caloric intake?

Options
I have kind of an odd question. This week I had a day where I didn't eat anything at all. It was not intentional, but rather slept for 16 hours (thanks to a medication) and I hadn't eaten before I went to sleep. The last time this happened, my diary streak reset itself because it thought I just didn't log the day. I manually logged 1200 cals for the day so that my daily streak would not reset. Is there another way to log though so it doesn't reset but also reflects I didn't actually eat?

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Why did you manually log 1200 and not say 1?

Then you can average over the week calories not consumed on that day
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I thought that as long as you accessed the site on the day your streak is not affected - you don't even have to log food do you?

might be wrong
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Why did you manually log 1200 and not say 1?

Then you can average over the week calories not consumed on that day

I am pretty sure under a certain amount it assumes it was not logged. I have seen the streak reset in the past under a similar circumstance and was under 20 for the day. Would logging just 1 prevent that from happening?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I thought that as long as you accessed the site on the day your streak is not affected - you don't even have to log food do you?

might be wrong

No you're right. I know people with long streaks who have never logged food here. MFP doesn't care what you do while you're here; as long as you log in you should keep your streak.
  • elphie754
    Options

might be wrong

I don't think that is correct or else my streak would be well over 365 days lol.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

might be wrong

I don't think that is correct or else my streak would be well over 365 days lol.

I think you have to at least go to your wall-- not just to the forums (because now it's a separate site)
  • malcolmjcooper
    malcolmjcooper Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I quite often just log in and put nothing never lost my streak until we went on holidays and I forgot to log in back up to nearly 200 now
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Was it not the 16 hour difference, and not the calorie logging that reset it?

You don't have to log calories to keep your streak.
  • elphie754
    Options

might be wrong

I think you have to at least go to your wall-- not just to the forums (because now it's a separate site)

I open the app at least once a day, so shouldnt that count?
    MCIBTY wrote: »
    Was it not the 16 hour difference, and not the calorie logging that reset it?

You don't have to log calories to keep your streak.

Not sure what a tuallyctually reset it.

I changed to log to 1cal. I also found a link to "reset" your streak if it is wrong, so if it clears, I will use that.

Thank you everyone. :)
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

might be wrong

yeah you have to go to your wall to keep the streak. I havent logged food since September but have a 200ish day streak. I honestly don't get why the streak is important to people - especially if you aren't logging. its says to me that I've spent waaaay too much time here haha
  • elphie754
    Options

might be wrong

yeah you have to go to your wall to keep the streak. I havent logged food since September but have a 200ish day streak. I honestly don't get why the streak is important to people - especially if you aren't logging. its says to me that I've spent waaaay too much time here haha

I am logging though, and treat myself to something small every 30 days of continous logging. That is why it is important to me.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I had a two week diet break where I logged no food and my "streak" did not reset. You need to but log in.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I've logged water on my diary in the morning before going to my home page, but my streak doesn't update until I go there each day. It happened this morning when I did a check in with my new weight.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Your streak is based on your logging into the system, not logging food. When I am not cutting weight, I never log calories.
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,762 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You need to log in to your wall at least once every 24 hours. Let's say you logged in at 9 a.m. yesterday but only at 10 a.m. today. Odds are your counter will have reset because it's been more than 24 hours. You don't need to log food. I was on vacation for 3 weeks and didn't log any food but my streak was intact because I logged in at least once each 24 hours. :) The streak is important to me because it reflects my commitment to myself. Each day I log in, I am making a conscious decision to continue working toward losing weight and not giving up. It's not about how much time I spend here or me having a streak longer than someone else. It's x number of days I've decided I'm worth the effort. :)
  • cgvoabc
    cgvoabc Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I must say that I'm disappointed that one must log in to the site for the streak to keep going.

I do 99.9% of my food logging through my phone app but I still need to login to the site once a day to continue the streak.

Even though I've been logging food everyday since May; I forgot to login to the site once and my streak ended! BOOO!! HISSS!!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    cgvoabc wrote: »
    I must say that I'm disappointed that one must log in to the site for the streak to keep going.

I do 99.9% of my food logging through my phone app but I still need to login to the site once a day to continue the streak.

Even though I've been logging food everyday since May; I forgot to login to the site once and my streak ended! BOOO!! HISSS!!
    You don't need to log into the site.. logging into the app counts and sync to the site. If your streak gets messed up, you can contact an admin to get it restored.

• cgvoabc
    cgvoabc Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    You don't need to log into the site.. logging into the app counts and sync to the site. If your streak gets messed up, you can contact an admin to get it restored.

Thanks for that bit of info, I'll contact and admin to get it fixed!

Thanks again!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

might be wrong

I am logging though, and treat myself to something small every 30 days of continous logging. That is why it is important to me.

Right, you're using it as a count of days as logging your food. That part makes sense.

But for those of us, like me, who aren't logging food - that's where I don't get the big deal over the streak.
    I had a friend get her streak reset to 0 so she could track days of continuous and accurate logging. That makes sense. whatever
  • elphie754
    Options

might be wrong

Right, you're using it as a count of days as logging your food. That part makes sense.

But for those of us, like me, who aren't logging food - that's where I don't get the big deal over the streak.
    I had a friend get her streak reset to 0 so she could track days of continuous and accurate logging. That makes sense. whatever

I'm slightly confused by your post. I don't see people "making a big deal" about their streak unless they are using it to count logging days.