I Think I Exercised Myself into Not Being Hungry

Options
This is just weird. I went on an 8.81 mile walk today to do some errands, and the latter half of that was carrying an 8.5 lb bag of cat food in my backpack! Weirdo alert, I know, but there IS a method to my madness. For one, with gas prices in SoCal being nothing short of a king's ransom right now, I've decided to not drive anywhere on weekends unless absolutely necessary. And two, I'm going to Europe next month and expect to do a ton of walking, so I want to be conditioned for it.

Anyway, both Dailymile and MFP reported that this excursion of mine burned 1,000+ calories, so you'd think I'd be ravenous by now, right? Except I'm not. I ate a nice big 800 calorie breakfast and stopped for some fish tacos half way through my journey, but since I've been home, I've just been drinking water. I'm not all that hungry. I've been entertaining the idea of ordering in or walking somewhere super close by and ordering take-out, but my body is like, "Meh."

I just find it very, very strange. This is unlike me. But then again, I've never walked 8.81 miles in one day before. Is this common? Rest assured, I *am* going to eat dinner soon, but I wish I could be more enthusiastic about it!

Replies

• GypsyWagon
    GypsyWagon Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Gettng overheated kills my appetite...could that be a factor? Keep drinking that water.
  • RiaLucia
    RiaLucia Posts: 121
    Options
    Gettng overheated kills my appetite...could that be a factor? Keep drinking that water.

Nope, it was a beautiful mild San Diego day. Perfect weather, not too cool or hot. I definitely felt my legs workin', but I didn't even break a sweat.
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I find that the days I work out more/harder, the less of an appetite I have. I don't know why. You'd think it'd be the other way around, but it's not. Maybe working out is a natural appetite suppressant!
  • vixi76
    vixi76 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I get that way too! If I just do a "normal" exercise routine for me, 3-5 miles walking, I will be hungry for food later no problem. But, if I work really hard all day doing a tree job, hauling branches, limbs, and logs, burning over 2,000 calories, I am nowhere near hungry enough to eat all of the calories that I am supposed to. I don't know if my body is in such NEED of calories that it just wants to shut down or what, so now I try to eat protein throughout my tree job work to keep my body with some energy, even if I don't get enough calories.
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in this, too.

Many times if I have a big calorie-burning day like mowing the lawn (1000+ calories), I am usually not hungry that day, but the day after. Does it hurt to spread those calories over the next couple of days?
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Sometimes that happens to me too. right now I'm a lot more interested in a shower and laying down with a good book for a while than in eating dinner.
  • noworry87
    noworry87 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Eating fish or shrimp causes me to feel very full and thirsty...maybe that's what it is but the walk.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I need to workout at night to kill appetite even if I burn 1000+ cals I dont get hungry mainly because I eat alot of protein and fiber.
  • FL_Nettie
    FL_Nettie Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    This has been happening to me this week as well. I've been drinking chocolate milk made with 1% milk to try and add some calories back in. Of course this is making my sugar count go higher but I just don't want to eat.

A few years ago my son & I went on a hiking/camping trip. I brought a ton of ready to heat meals sure that we'd be starving after hiking 5 or 6 miles in the mountains. Turns out, not so much. We shared a meal between the 2 of us and basically snacked while hiking during the day. I'm sure there's a physical reason why this happens, but I don't know. :ohwell:
  • RiaLucia
    RiaLucia Posts: 121
    Options
    Sometimes that happens to me too. right now I'm a lot more interested in a shower and laying down with a good book for a while than in eating dinner.

I know, right? I washed off my dusty feet and then laid down and drifted in and out of consciousness for 20 minutes. I had to force myself to get up, lest I fall asleep at 5 o'clock in the afternoon and completely mess up my sleep schedule. I did just eat a good sized dinner out of the necessity of it, but still have a ton of calories left over. I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets like this! There *must* be some physiological reason for it, some "sweet spot" or threshhold you have to hit before you get to this point where you aren't particularly ravenous after a big burn. Maybe I'll be starving tomorrow morning when my body catches up and says, "Oh yeah--you walked a lot yesterday, didn't you? GIMME PANCAKES ARGHHHHHHH!"