I hate healthy food and moan that I'm fat!

Options
I need some tips on weight loss. I'm useless with this sort of stuff. I never know what foods to eat, what exercise to do and I always get disappointed if I don't see results after a couple of weeks. I am a mum to 6 month old baby girl and really need to get rid of the weight I put on during pregnancy. Anybody got tips on how to get rid of my mummy belly and fairly quick foods to eat.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Weight loss is achieve through a deficit. Eat foods you enjoy. Now if all you like is high calorie foods, then you just might have to exercise more to fit it in your calorie goal :smile:

Also, with only 40 lbs to lose, you should be aiming for 1 to 1.5 lbs per week. And if you are breast feeding, then you need an additional 300-500 calories to help feed your child.

ps - calories should be your first thing to concentrate on. Eventually, you can work on improving the types of foods you eat; essentially, you can later focus on foods that are nutrient dense (if not already) and then even further down the road, focus on macronutrients.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Eat the foods you've always eaten, just less. Work on the more nutritious things first and add treats in if you have room (viewing as healthy/unhealthy is a path to failure). As for the belly, read this: community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, you’ll need to eat less calories than what you are burning through in a day. I would start with logging your food for 1 week to see what your maintenance level is. Then it becomes easier to set an appropriate calorie goal so that you are on a deficit. Exercise is important. Not just for losing weight, but also to just help your body function at optimal levels.

For nutrition, I focus on a few things:
    1. hitting my calorie goal that is set to make good progress towards my fitness goal
    2. getting my macro breakdown as close as possible to that goal (which changes based on your fitness goal)
    3. eating mostly fruits, veggies, whole grains, lean meats, and healthy fats and getting in my fiber
    4. If all of these criteria are met and I still have room in my calorie budget for the day, then I work in some treat foods (as long as I can fit it into my calories and macros)

Try to stick to this plan while working in some foods you love and you’ll be good to go.

Allan
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Weight loss is achieve through a deficit. Eat foods you enjoy. Now if all you like is high calorie foods, then you just might have to exercise more to fit it in your calorie goal :smile:

Also, with only 40 lbs to lose, you should be aiming for 1 to 1.5 lbs per week. And if you are breast feeding, then you need an additional 300-500 calories to help feed your child.

ps - calories should be your first thing to concentrate on. Eventually, you can work on improving the types of foods you eat; essentially, you can later focus on foods that are nutrient dense (if not already) and then even further down the road, focus on macronutrients.

+1
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    A couple of thoughts...
    1. Stop whining and complaining - no one wants to hear it and it doesn't do you any good.
    2. Don't over-complicate things - it doesn't matter what you eat or what you do, only that you eat a reasonable amount throughout the day and that you get some sort of exercise. Eating too much will lead to weight gain. Period. Don't eat too much.
    3. Be patient - start thinking in terms of months, not days and weeks. Progress is slow, for everyone, all the time. And even if it wasn't slow, it would still never be fast enough.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    "Healthy Food" is absolutely irrelevant to weight loss. I've lost tens of pounds at a time on a Pizza, Beer, and PopTart diet.

The only rule you need. The ONLY Rule:

Rule Number Zero: Establish a Caloric Deficit and eat the foods you love.

Done deal, right?

Easy Peasy
  • hanzibobs931
    hanzibobs931 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    swap foods. if not track it and allow for eat. eat less and exercise more. there is no magic cure. it will get better :)
  • Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    "Healthy Food" is absolutely irrelevant to weight loss. I've lost tens of pounds at a time on a Pizza, Beer, and PopTart diet.

The only rule you need. The ONLY Rule:

Rule Number Zero: Establish a Caloric Deficit and eat the foods you love.

Done deal, right?

Easy Peasy
    I have to say I agree with this to some degree. I have not given up a thing I like. I just cut back on it some. If I want a cheeseburger and some fries, I eat it. If I have a craving for some chocolate but it doesn't fit in my calories because of that cheeseburger and fries, I skip it. I do watch my sodium some because of water retention, I eat more veggies than I use to, I drink more water than I use to. So I have done some tweaking on things, but all in all, I eat whatever I want. If I didn't, I don't think I would have stuck with this every day for the last 8 months. I have lost close to 42 lbs in that time.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    While I do agree that the number one rule is to establish a calorie deficit, and that it's good to eat less of the foods you love when you start...

Depending on what you're eating now, you might be hungry doing that if the food isn't particularly sating because the portions end up being really, really small.

"Healthy" is a relative term. There's no need to give up the foods you love, EVER, but over time, you can try to incorporate other, new foods into your diet that might satisfy you more like whole grains, eggs, lean meats, fruits, vegetables. You don't need to go crazy. Try some porridge or Greek yogurt and fruit for breakfast one day. Add some carrot sticks and hummus for a snack or some peanut butter and celery. Maybe add a salad to lunch another week.

If the problem is that you don't know how to cook, youtube is chock full of videos with how-to's.