Is it possible to gain weight under a calorie deficit if most of your calories are sugar?

Options
The reason I ask is because I drank 3 cokes yesterday. I was still under a calorie deficit from my 1 lb weight loss goal a week. I still was 106 calories short of what I could have for that day. I got on the scale this morning and it was up. I've been drinking more cokes lately but still always under the calorie goal. I don't need advice on that's not healthy you really shouldnt be doing that stuff! I just want to know is a calorie deficit still a calorie deficit if your not eating the right foods?

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    You could gain weight on a deficit, but not fat. High sugar days make me bloat just like high sodium days do.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    Also increase in glycogen levels require water retention to fill the cells. So yes it's possible.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    A deficit is a deficit when it comes to weight loss. If you're in a deficit you'll lose weight. Remember, weight loss isn't linear. My weight can move 6+ lbs overnight depending upon the exercise I did the day before. It's just water.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh everything?

How tall are you/how much do you weigh?

What is your calorie goal each day?

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Water weight, not fat.
  • eyecandyrayce
    eyecandyrayce Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    You could gain weight on a deficit, but not fat. High sugar days make me bloat just like high sodium days do.

This. I had 2 full 20 oz sodas over the weekend to make up work out calories that I had not eaten back and still lost 2.2 pounds. I also didn't weigh myself the day after I had the sodas. I had them on Saturday and I weigh myself every Wednesday.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I think what's boggling me is that you can drink three cokes and still be under your calorie goal. Yours is obviously much higher than mine. I don't have a problem with the fact that sodas aren't good for you, I drink Diet Coke myself. I do, however, try to avoid drinking many of my calories. Except for my weekend beer. :)

Daily weight fluctuations are caused by water retention. Yes, the extra sugar could cause a temporary gain because the glycogen created by the sugar binds with water. It should flush itself out.

Try not to be so hung up on the daily weight fluctuations you're going to see continually. Weight loss is not linear. Some days you will lose, some you will stay the same and some you will gain. What you need to be looking at is the overall trend. As long as you are consistently in a calorie deficit, that overall trend will be downward.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    no, you will not gain weight/fat in a calorie deficit.

water weight/glycogen is not fat.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I can't even believe this is a real question ...
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I would cut down on the soda because it's crap for your body...however! You're going to lose weight if you are on a caloric deficit. End of story.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuations happen all the time in a deficit. If you're weighing daily, it's best to get used to them. They could be water weight or glycogen and be due to lots of different things including what you eat or exercise. It's not fat and it's not a big deal.

Look for overall trends in your weight, and don't sweat the daily stuff. The big picture over several weeks is most important.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    The reason I ask is because I drank 3 cokes yesterday. I was still under a calorie deficit from my 1 lb weight loss goal a week. I still was 106 calories short of what I could have for that day. I got on the scale this morning and it was up. I've been drinking more cokes lately but still always under the calorie goal. I don't need advice on that's not healthy you really shouldnt be doing that stuff! I just want to know is a calorie deficit still a calorie deficit if your not eating the right foods?

weight fluctuations from day to day are pretty unreliable could have simply been that you didnt have a bowel movement, were retaining water, had more glycogen that day cause you consumed more carbs - day to day fluctuations are not reliable
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Based on previous threads started by this OP, she eats about 1200 calories ... and was 106 calories short yesterday (yet she doesn't weigh her foods so how she could be down to the single calorie level of accuracy without accurate intake or measured RMR is a bit of a quandary).

With one quarter of her calories from Cokes, that doesn't leave much room for the rest of her nutritional needs. For somebody trying to get to the very bottom of a healthy weight based on BMI, there isn't much room for error when trying to lose weight in a healthy manner.